SD3 2.0 battery issues solved

dbones

Reaction score
It's not the rom giving everybody false readings of their battery, it's the battery itself.

Lithium-ion batteries have an internal fuel gauge that can become inaccurate over time due to charging the battery over and over before it ever goes dead. So the most basic way to reset the fuel gauge is let it drain completely dead until your phone shuts off, then recharge it completely full without taking it off the charger and TADA your fuel gauge is accurate.
The only reason everyone is noticing their fuel gauge out of calibration all of a sudden, is because this rom is set to read the fuel gauge in 1 percent increments, when before it was set to 10/5 percent increments which I'm pretty sure it just rounds to the nearest percentage, so nobody would of ever noticed.
So when your phone is fully charged but the gauge says 97, or whatever it may be, is because the battery itself is actually fully charged but the internal fuel gauge is out of calibration.

Hope this helps:)

Sent from my STEELDROID3 2.0

Last edited:
Standard disclaimer...If you do this and you Bork your battery it's your fault and not mine. Be careful with batteries as they are sensitive...your mileage may vary.

I've also heard that these batteries don't always "fully charge" in an effort to protect the battery. In fact, they'll shut down the charging to a trickle when it gets to 96% or 97%. There is a method to get beyond this called "Bump Charging". Basically, you charge your battery fully with the phone off (or turn it off). Then unplug it for one minute (prox) and plug it back in for 15 minutes. At the end of 15 minutes, unplug the phone for one minute and plug it in for an additional 15. You can continue this process to "top off" the charge and actually take the battery a bit farther than it's intended because it take a few minutes for the battery to "figure out" where it's at in it's charge cycle when you're plugging it in while the phone is off.

While this has been proven to be effective in getting every possible microvolt (if that's a word) out of your battery it's important to note you will degrade your battery if you do this regularly. You should only do this if you're certain you're going to be away from a charging source longer than normal. DO NOT do this regularly or you'll be replacing your batter every six months...maybe once a year.

Standard disclaimer...If you do this and you Bork your battery it's your fault and not mine. Be careful with batteries as they are sensitive...your mileage may vary.

I've also heard that these batteries don't always "fully charge" in an effort to protect the battery. In fact, they'll shut down the charging to a trickle when it gets to 96% or 97%. There is a method to get beyond this called "Bump Charging". Basically, you charge your battery fully with the phone off (or turn it off). Then unplug it for one minute (prox) and plug it back in for 15 minutes. At the end of 15 minutes, unplug the phone for one minute and plug it in for an additional 15. You can continue this process to "top off" the charge and actually take the battery a bit farther than it's intended because it take a few minutes for the battery to "figure out" where it's at in it's charge cycle when you're plugging it in while the phone is off.

While this has been proven to be effective in getting every possible microvolt (if that's a word) out of your battery it's important to note you will degrade your battery if you do this regularly. You should only do this if you're certain you're going to be away from a charging source longer than normal. DO NOT do this regularly or you'll be replacing your batter every six months...maybe once a year.

I would never recommend doing this unless you really want to ruin your battery, or cause an injury. Lithium-ion batteries have been known to explode burning people very badly from doing things like this. Next time do some research before posting something like this.

Last edited:
Easy tiger.

The research has been done. The battery will not likely explode. I did call out that you will ruin your battery if you complete the procedure very often.

No body is being told to do this. It is an option. It works. There are risks.

Sent from my SteelDroid D3 (2.0) and TapaTalk

Easy tiger.

The research has been done. The battery will not likely explode. I did call out that you will ruin your battery if you complete the procedure very often.

No body is being told to do this. It is an option. It works. There are risks.

Do yourself a favor and type lithium ion battery exploding in Google.

Last edited:
I will continue this if only we can be assured this will not become a flame war.

I have googled you request but rather than images I Googled articles. The wiki article at the top of the results stated that the electrodes used in modern lithium ion batteries virtual eliminate the risk/danger of explosion.

I am truly not looking for argument or trouble here. I really enjoy this forum and I mean no disrespect.

Bump charging has it's benefits and risks but the chances of personal harm seem limited from everything I have read and experienced.

Lithium-Ion batteries are different than most types of rechargeable batteries in that they remain cool during normal charging. That can induce a false sense of safety, because Li-Ion batteries can burn, explode, and spread toxic material that inflicts human injury and damages equipment if they are overcharged. Most commercial Li-Ion batteries have several automatic protection devices built-in, because of that danger. So in other words, don't try and "trick" your battery into overcharging. Enough said.

Last edited:
I thought this thread addressed the issue of the inaccurate 1% battery reading, not overcharging your battery. Is there a fix yet that doesnt involve doing something that may degrade your battery? I read up on several sources after googling that lithium ion batteries dont have this internal memory, and that many people are confusing this with nicad batteries.

Dbones talked about the answer In the original post. Your battery may need to be left alone to be sure it totally charged for a couple hours. If it Still doesn't read 100% your may have to wipe battery statistics from CWM. If that's your process be sure to fully discharge the battery after wiping stats...run it until it powers down on it's own. Then, with the phone off, fully charge the battery. That should complete the process of reseetting the battery gage with the ROM.

But its been well pointed out in the other thread that the battery gets to 100. The issue is that the OS tells you you're fully charged at about 95-98%. It will still climb up to 100 after that. Deleting the batterystats.bin does nothing to fix the issue, even if you wait til 100% charged to delet I've tried manually deleting it, i've tried the battery calibration app. I'm not going to drain my battery all the way. Its pointless. Li(on does not have this internal fuel gauge that people speak of. 5 minutes with google will point that out. Now there must be something else we can do to solve this issue that doesnt degrade our batteries. Battery life is already bad enough.

Good article, sorry if this is a noob question, as I am a noob, how exactly do you clear battery stats on a D3?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

EDIT: I figured it out: used droid3 boot strapper -reboot in recovery -> advanced -> clear battery -> (back to top menu) reboot

Last edited:
Copied from LifeHacker.com...
  • Fully charge your device, until your LED turns green or until your home screen says "Charged".
  • Reboot into recovery mode. This is different on every device (I know on my Droid, I have to hold the "x" key when powering up). Google how to do it for your device, or, if you're running a custom ROM like CyanogenMod, you can reboot into recovery mode from the phone's regular shutdown screen.
  • When you reboot into ClockworkMod, head to Advanced > Wipe Battery Stats and hit Yes. When it's done, go back to ClockworkMod's main menu and reboot your phone.
  • After doing this, let your battery die completely before charging it up again (you can use your phone as normal, just don't charge it until it dies). This will help re-calibrate it.

A. Just let your phone go dead then charge it full.

Or

B. Make it way more complicated than it needs to be.

Hmmmmm, I choose option A, but that's just me.

I don't think killing your battery resets battery stats, does it?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

Back