Should I get the Droid X2?

Fluxon

Reaction score
Well, I have my birthday coming up, and I am due for a new contract and phone. Right now I have a LG Voyager Titanium...yes, it's like two years or three years old. I am thinking about getting the Droid X2 or the Droid Charge, I don't really care about 4G, and the Droid X2 has a dual core processor, so it seems that it would be faster for apps and dialing and texting and stuff.

I don't know if I should get the X2 though, since I see lots of people saying they are laggy and stuff, but then I think I should because I see people saying that their X2 is fast and responsive.

So yeah, should I get the Droid X2 or Droid Charge? I am also posting this in the Charge forum.

Thanks

Chimuel

Reaction score
Go to the store and play with the phones yourself. I'm not a mind reader so I wouldn't know your personal preferences.

OP
Fluxon

Fluxon

Reaction score
Go to the store and play with the phones yourself. I'm not a mind reader so I wouldn't know your personal preferences.

^ Best answer. If you like the phone, get it. If not, don't. You will be using it for the next 20 months.

Well, when you got your Droid X2, did you play around with the Charge or the Thunderbolt? If you did, what made you choose the X2 over them?

Chimuel

Reaction score

^ Best answer. If you like the phone, get it. If not, don't. You will be using it for the next 20 months.

Well, when you got your Droid X2, did you play around with the Charge or the Thunderbolt? If you did, what made you choose the X2 over them?

You're probably asking the other person but since I've got the DX, DX2, and TB, I can tell you that I'm quite pleased with all the phones.

My first android phone is the DX... actually just got mine a little over a month ago and I must say that I love this device. I got the Thunderbolt around the same time as well... never played with it (or the Charge, wasn't available then and I can still turn my TB in but I'm loving it) but I've had a great experience with HTC phones so I knew what I was getting into already (had the Touch Diamond, Touch Pro).

Got my DX2 today and I am impressed. All the talk about the pentile display being bad and not sharp isn't true. I was skeptical of the display too because of some of the posts I've read and macro shots of the displays. Putting the two phones (DX and DX) side by side shows juts how much brighter the display the DX2 has... the sharpness isn't an issue either, not unless you have your display right up on your eyes. Colours come out much more saturated on the DX2 as well... and whites are whiter on the DX2, the DX seems to be yellowish (and remember my DX2 is brand new but my DX is only a month old)

I agree, the DX has an advantage because of GB but also note that the DX has been out for a year now... DX2 will have that one extra year shelf life over the DX.

I benched both the DX and DX2 on quadrant and the DX averaged 1750-1800 (on GB, stock) and the DX2 averaged 2600. Just wait until GB is on DX2...

EDIT:
Totally forgot about HDMI mirroring... don't know about you but I will definitely be using this feature a lot. I love seeing my apps on my big screen TVs.

Last edited:

Zetsumei

Reaction score
Having owned a T-bolt and a Charge I can shed a little more light on this, but I still would suggest going in a playing around with them. The T-bolt was nice, pretty responsive for a single core phone. Main issue I had with them, the screen (popped out don't know how) , the earpiece sounded tinny and horrible, and the craptacular battery life. Otheriwse the T-bolt was a fairly solid phone when rooted and custom rom added etc. The Charge the only good things about that phone #1 Super AMOLED + display #2 Light. Otherwise touch wiz sucks but can be remedied with a custom rom now, or a launcher. The phone was pretty slow seeing it wasnt even using a 2nd generation humming bird processor, so the processor in the Charge is 1 year + old by now. That's not really a huge issue, but the Charge really does lack in performance. I was on full flash engadget on Miren browser and the phone would just stutter and become unresponsive, hang for like 3-4 seconds. If you use the stock launcher you will notice micro stutters, and hangs like 1-2 seconds at times. Is the Charge worth 300 on contract? In my opinion no.

Now for the X2 Pros: #1 Dual core processor it is fairly noticeable when loading full flash animation sites, no micro stutters or loss of responsiveness when flinging through the screen. Games/apps load up faster and have no stutters. Is it game breaking? Until dual core is optimized 100% for Android probably not #2 Call quality for those that actually still think of the smart phone as a phone, the call quality on this phone is superb. Even when I'm driving w/ the window open and on minimal volume I can still hear the person I'm talking to, and they can hear me perfectly. Moto has always made excellent quality communication devices, good earpiece, good noise cancellation. 3# Display very crisp and sharp, very very bright even in sunlight. People complain about the Pentile display like no tomorrow, yes you can notice the pixels if you shove the phone infront of your face (but da fuq would you be doing that for?) But to be fair almost every phone you can notice the pixels in one way or another. #4 Battery life on this phone is pretty good have no complaints about it. Cons about this phone #1 Motoblur That's pretty much the only con I have about this phone, otherwise great great device.

OP
Fluxon

Fluxon

Reaction score
Yeah, right now I'm leaning towards the DX2.