Should I upgrade or wait....

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi, I currently own an Incredible, phone looks and works like new, my upgrade availability is on 12/28/11, my big dilemma is should I get the Rezound, or wait 4 more months and get the Edge or whatever they will call it by then. Love my Incredible, only thing it does not have is 4G LTE and a 4.3" screen. What would you guys do.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

Reaction score
If your phone still works fine and nothing really catches your eye that is out at the moment why not wait.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hi, I currently own an Incredible, phone looks and works like new, my upgrade availability is on 12/28/11, my big dilemma is should I get the Rezound, or wait 4 more months and get the Edge or whatever they will call it by then. Love my Incredible, only thing it does not have is 4G LTE and a 4.3" screen. What would you guys do.

I always end up getting the best phone (as determined by studying the spec and reviews carefully and then doing an in-store inspection of the hardware) available as soon my update was available. If you start waiting for better phones, the wait could be forever!! There will always be better Android phones 2-3 months down the road regardless of where you are on the road.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
The way I look at it from the viewpoint of getting a subsidized phone; you are eligible for an upgrade 20 months after you sign. So if you are effectively getting an approximate $360 discount off the list price of a new phone, in 20 months, you get an $18 "rebate" per month towards your new phone. Once you pass the 20 month mark, you no longer get that "rebate". If you take advantage of the eligibility for a new phone right away, your current contract ends, and you will be eligible for another upgrade in 20 months, getting the new "rebate" every month. If you wait, you get no effective rebate.
Balance that against waiting for something new, untested, maybe better, maybe not, without a firm release date.
It's a big step going from 3G to 4G, but I don't think the next round of new phones are worth waiting for, as the improvements won't be that significant.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just upgraded from a perfectly fine working Inc 1 that has been the best phone I've ever had until now.
The quality is as good as the Inc in every way and I have the extra speed and screen size with about the same battery life (extended battery on both phones) and in hand feel is just as ergonomic.
I actually like the screen pixel quality on the Rezound a little better. The whites and lighter colors are more realistic and the darks and black are just as sharp, though the Inc was amoled. The extra screen size keeps me from needing my readers to check my email. The Gingerbread on the Rezound is the real thing, not the dumbed down version on the Inc. Sense 3.5 fixes quite a few things that bugged me initially in my Inc, another step forward imo.
I'm not saying don't wait for the next, next big thing but I'm very content with my current next big thing.
Just like the Inc 1 set the benchmark others have finally surpassed, the Rezound does it again and until the quad cores come out there may be newer but there won't be better

Support Our Troops!!!
<
Sent from a Rezound phone via Blue TapaTalk

Last edited:
OP
cybertec69

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think the Tegra 3 will be a significant improvement, and so will SLCD 2, plus 4G will be more polished, and the Edge is said to have a 4.7" screen, just those 3 things are an improvement in my book, plus it will come with ICS from the get go, so make that 4 reasons to wait, getting the Rezound now and I will be stuck with old tech for another 2 years, quad core processors will most likely be the next big thing for a couple of years. Will wait and see what is comming up in January, as most phone manufacturers will be introducing their new phones for the first second quarter sales push.

t35rk

Reaction score
I go back and forth with this same question. For me the only real reason to upgrade from my Inc to the Rezound is 4G. I'm hooked on the form and functionality of my Inc and can deal with the poor battery life. I would wait for a smaller HTC 4G device, but that day may not be near.

I'd still be rocking my old rooted Eris if the screen was better.

One other note is that I don't find my wife's Rezound's screen an upgrade over the Dinc, for all the rave reviews it gets.

Last edited:

cp24eva

Reaction score
I go back and forth with this same question. For me the only real reason to upgrade from my Inc to the Rezound is 4G. I'm hooked on the form and functionality of my Inc and can deal with the poor battery life. I would wait for a smaller HTC 4G device, but that day may not be near.

I'd still be rocking my old rooted Eris if the screen was better.

One other note is that I don't find my wife's Rezound's screen an upgrade over the Dinc, for all the rave reviews it gets.

You might not see the difference particularly because the screen on the rezound is alot bigger and when you have a bigger screen you will need a bigger resolution to get great quality. Like apple does. that little teeny screen they have, while boasting about there ppi. It's fine and dandy. But when you have a phone like the rezound that has a bigger screen and slightly better ppi, it's time to step your game up. some folks wont notice the difference because they swear they have the sharpest vision in the world and everything they see through there eyes are how they should be. So many people (including myself) lie to themselves about needed glasses.

I'm not saying you are in need of glasses or anything, I'm just saying with everyone throwing resolutions stats and ppi around, it truly comes down to how your own eyes view the picture. Some people like brighter vividly enhanced screens. Some people like the duller, easy on the eyes, but still get the sharp color separation look. In the end the screens are still subjective. I wear glasses now. I have the Dinc 2 and now the rezound. Had the bionic as well. Played with the nexus prime for a while. all great screens. But there was always something about HTC screens that were different. Not as bright, but they had a very solid look. Other screens looked good as well, but a tad bit saturated and glowie. You know what I mean?

t35rk

Reaction score
You might not see the difference particularly because the screen on the rezound is alot bigger and when you have a bigger screen you will need a bigger resolution to get great quality. Like apple does. that little teeny screen they have, while boasting about there ppi. It's fine and dandy. But when you have a phone like the rezound that has a bigger screen and slightly better ppi, it's time to step your game up. some folks wont notice the difference because they swear they have the sharpest vision in the world and everything they see through there eyes are how they should be. So many people (including myself) lie to themselves about needed glasses.

I'm not saying you are in need of glasses or anything, I'm just saying with everyone throwing resolutions stats and ppi around, it truly comes down to how your own eyes view the picture. Some people like brighter vividly enhanced screens. Some people like the duller, easy on the eyes, but still get the sharp color separation look. In the end the screens are still subjective. I wear glasses now. I have the Dinc 2 and now the rezound. Had the bionic as well. Played with the nexus prime for a while. all great screens. But there was always something about HTC screens that were different. Not as bright, but they had a very solid look. Other screens looked good as well, but a tad bit saturated and glowie. You know what I mean?

I don't want to dis the Rezound too bad as it will probably be my next phone unless a smaller 4g phone comes out soon. But...putting my wife's Rezound next to my Inc with it's SLCD screen, reveals the Rezound isn't exactly an upgrade. Only that it's bigger. At least to my 47 year old reader glass wearing eyes.

Looking at the black background of the app drawer is black on the Inc and not as black on the Rezound. In fact it's kind of grey in relation to the Dinc. I don't know if that is a good test or not, but the experience is found elsewhere in Sense.

Outside? Neither are too good, but the slight edge goes to the Dinc.

For all the high praise for the Rezound's display, I have been underwhelmed.

Last edited:

cp24eva

Reaction score
I don't want to di's the Rezound too bad as it will probably be my next phone unless a smaller 4g phone comes out soon. But...putting my wife's. Rezound next to my Inc with it's SLCD screen, reveals the Rezound isn't an upgrade. Only that it's bigger. At least to my 47 year old reader glass wearing eyes.

Looking at the black background of the app droor is black on the Inc and not as black on the Rezound. I don't know if that is a good test or not, but the experience is found elsewhere in Sense.

Outside? Neither are too good, but the slight edge goes to the Dinc.

For all the high praise for the Rezound's display, I have been underwhelmed.

Keep in mind that all 4G phones are mainly upgrades in the data speed.department. This generation of 4g phones phones have slightly better everything. Not extremely better everything. If you loooooove you Dinc then of course stick with it and be happy for another year or so. I would have never got the rezound if it didn't have a bigger screen and 4G I would have stuck with the Dinc 2. The smartphone market thrives on people wanting something better. If YOU believe your phone is good enough for YOU then that's great. But no matter how you spin it the rezound will be better in every way.....including the screen. Not EXTREMELY better, but still better.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

t35rk

Reaction score
Keep in mind that all 4G phones are mainly upgrades in the data speed.department. This generation of 4g phones phones have slightly better everything. Not extremely better everything. If you loooooove you Dinc then of course stick with it and be happy for another year or so. I would have never got the rezound if it didn't have a bigger screen and 4G I would have stuck with the Dinc 2. The smartphone market thrives on people wanting something better. If YOU believe your phone is good enough for YOU then that's great. But no matter how you spin it the rezound will be better in every way.....including the screen. Not EXTREMELY better, but still better.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Spin??? Now I'm getting mad, lol. How is the Rezound's screen better? The Inc is blacker and marginally better outside. Where would I see a difference?

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My 47 year old eyes disagree. I find the blacks just as black and the whites more realistic on the Rezound.
I guess just like " which bluetooth sounds best" is a subjective topic, so is " which is the better screen. I also don't have to crank the Rezound up to full bright when outside like I do the Inc, but again that might be the subject I'm looking at and colors of backgrounds.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from this Galaxy via Blue Tapatalk

t35rk

Reaction score
My 47 year old eyes disagree. I find the blacks just as black and the whites more realistic on the Rezound.
I guess just like " which bluetooth sounds best" is a subjective topic, so is " which is the better screen. I also don't have to crank the Rezound up to full bright when outside like I do the Inc, but again that might be the subject I'm looking at and colors of backgrounds.

Support Our Troops!!!
<

The background in your app drawer is just as black on the Rezound as on your Dinc? Not on ours.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have a black background in the app drawer. I installed Go Launcher and changed all that.
On Kindle and Tapatalk with black themes, yes they are as black and sharp to me and I have a strong astigmatism

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

t35rk

Reaction score
I don't have a black background in the app drawer. I installed Go Launcher and changed all that.
On Kindle and Tapatalk with black themes, yes they are as black and sharp to me and I have a strong astigmatism

Support Our Troops!!!
<><

I just downloaded and registered the Kindle app. It appears to be grey themed, not black. Why not switch your launcher back to Sense and compare? On my SLCD Inc, the background is as black as black can be.