So..how are people liking the phone so far?

jet

Reaction score
I really like it. Battery life is suffient, display is stellar. Call quality is good. The speaker for music, speaker phone, etc. is weak (not the earpeice speaker for the phone, the one in the back) and headphones greatly improve media sound. The stock UI is odd, but I've switched to ADW Launcher. It feels nice in the hand and is comfortable in a hip pocket.
This is not a "Oooo, you have a Wiz Bang 9000!" sort of phone. But if you want a phone that will get the job done at a reasonable price it is a good phone.

OP
E

emptypaperheart

Reaction score
Oh wow nice..I've been experiencing only one problem so far And that's the internet like when i would push refresh it would take a min to actually refresh it..idk its made to do yhat..what's adw ? I feel like i should use that o.o

Sent from my VS920 4G using DroidForums

OP
E

emptypaperheart

Reaction score
Ohhh ok i see i see. C: I've been trying to make the camera take a picture faster but no luck I've just used the panorama so i take a bunch and pick out what i like c:

uma

Reaction score
Its. a nice phone... so much larger et lighter than my ODroid. But i can hardly read anything because the contrast lsucks. i can't zoom everywhere unfortunately . zooming helps the contrast. Right now I'm going bonkers because the text jumps up out of my sctreen like a paddle ball and i cant see what I'm typing. thats a p.i.a. for me. I can this nonsense't. handle this. Jumping cursors too batman. But the worst is not being able to read the light grey words on the white background. is there some kind of zoom or mag glass avainumbers in emaillable that lets us use it wherver we want/need to? i got this big screen for my old eyes and i can read my smaller screened Droid so much easier . Boing! There goes my cursor somewhere again. forgove me for tring to move the body of text to where i could view it. help.

uma

Reaction score
Now that I'm on my laptop, I'll try to clarify and hope to do so in a more coherent fashion.

1. The contrast is too weak for easily reading.
2. The zoom is still a feature that is available only on certain pages. (it's not an option for every page)
3. There is no way to increase the font size. (my oDroid allows me to select LG font, and then when it zooms, it's just right).
4. The double tap zoom works on same pages but I have to use the zoom in/out glass on most of them.
5. The pages that will not zoom at all are impossible for old eyes like mine to read. The font is too little and the contrast is too soft, which makes for a lose lose situation.

Posting:
1. The reply box wouldn't let me view the text I was typing. The entire body would boing to the top of window, out of view. I couldn't fix grammar or punctuation because it thought I was playing snap or some such game. Every time I tried to place the cursor somewhere for viewing or correcting the text, it would sling the entire body of text to top.
A. Perhaps this issue will correct itself once I download tapatalk? However, my oDroid never dealt with this problem and it didn't have tat

The 3G works great, super fast, at a good reception area, such as last night. Today I am back to my bad area, and it's not working at all. I have to use wifi which sucks because of overages.

The phone reception so far is fantastic! Even here in my bad area. (unlike my oDroid that could mostly only txt and recieve emails but not send emails).

Emails... well, on my Droid they were there, and I could open at any time to read or reread any of them. So far, with my LG I can't reopen and read or reread because it's not opening unless I have wifi on.

I'll know more in a few days whether or not to keep this phone. Tomorrow might be the opposite... all emails and no calls... (my area is notoriously famous for that).

Other than all of the opening day issues, I love this phone and I hope the issues fix themselves.

OP
E

emptypaperheart

Reaction score
Wow i haven't had all those problems but i don't really like the keyboard right now..i use to be able to add words to dictionary while typing bit now i gotta do it manually. And the camera won't take a shot right when i click it
.it would take the shot a second or so after i push it..idk i don't i can change it but the last issue so far is the browser..idk about u guys but..when i hit the refresh bufrom it takes awhile to actually refresh..and overall is just a slow browser
..even on 4G

uma

Reaction score
Good news: ReApplied the email app and it's working like my Droid now, but with a different layout. I no longer lose emails just because I read them, and I can mark them unread now. I can also read the old mail without wifi once again. The new emails require at least a little bit of 3G and the 3G is lacking today but that's typical in my area. (no 4G in my area yet either). The joys of installing a new phone in a good/bad reception area. I think things would be smoother if it came from the store fully loaded and ready to go because the store has above excellent reception.

Now if only I could get Rhapsody to get past the "preparing for download" and actually do it lol. Will have to take a drive to an excellent reception area I'm afraid.

I noticed that about the dictionary too and hoped it was just a slow kernel that has yet to show up. How do you do it manually? I'll have to play around with that.

Is it possible to install and use a different browser?

So far, my camera is quite fast. My oDroid was slower than molasses, but the quality of still lifes was wonderful. This one is okay quality but at least it has a quick shutter fo still lifes. Hmmmm, I haven't tried it on moving objects, it might slow down trying to focus.

Overall, I am really enjoying the phone now especially now that the email is working like it should.

OH WAIT. One more gripe. Free Cell card game on my 0Droid was great, the cards were easy to read. Same with Spider. But even with the same app from market for the spider, the cards are practically unreadable on my LG. What's up with that???? You'd think they'd at least be the same if not larger. Larger screen and smaller font. DUMBER THAN DUMB. It's worse than playing cards on my tiny LG pebble.

OP
E

emptypaperheart

Reaction score
To add words you go to setting and then language and keyboards it should be there and i mean the camera isn't slow maybe i just thought their would be like a shutter click or something but i guess not it'll be hard to capture moving targets and yea i downloaded dolphin hd its better than the browser they gave us..cause i have to wait so long for a page to even start loading its ridonkiless :p glad u got your email working c: i just go online for mine

uma

Reaction score
To add words you go to setting and then language and keyboards it should be there and i mean the camera isn't slow maybe i just thought their would be like a shutter click or something but i guess not it'll be hard to capture moving targets and yea i downloaded dolphin hd its better than the browser they gave us..cause i have to wait so long for a page to even start loading its ridonkiless :p glad u got your email working c: i just go online for mine

I'll look into Dolphin, thanks for the tip.
I played around yesterday with adding words into the dictionary by pressing down on a newly typed word until a menu appears and then selecting ADD to it. Now i know 2 ways.

All issues are sorting themselves out as the kernels appear from lost in space. The card game displays are about the only pia issue at this time. OH! And portrait/landscape doesnt work very often.... i have to change it in settings instead of tilting phone. gtttt. please tell me that's a missing kernel....
youtube flips for me though so that's good.

uma

Reaction score
UPDATE: My favorite free free-cell solitaire pack game works and displays beautifully now. (the one with forty thieves, spider, free cell, solitaire). I love it!!!!! It's smooth as glass and the cards fill the screen just like they should. Better than on my oDroid and that says a LOT lol. However, the other spider game app, that I enjoyed on my oD, still sucks on this one. I might have to uninstall and reinstall when I get to stronger signal area. That's no biggie. I liked the tap to move feature instead of the drag, but it's still works nice on my oD, so no big loss as long as I still have one app that's enjoyable on my LG I'm a happy user.

Oh! The automatic Rotate wasn't checked marked. A nice poster tipped me to that. It's settings/display/auto rotate voila. But it doesn't go upside down, like my oD, which I miss. When I play cards while it's on the Dock, I have to turn the Dock upside down and it slides out sometimes. No biggie, but it's a minor enough grmph to mention.

Also, my refresh button used to work great, which is a must when the heavily loaded forums seldom load the first time on any phone. Lately, it's impotent. But, then, so is my 3G lately. (it always does that in my area, so don't freak out anyone, it's not the phone, I'm sure. Calls & txts are still great). I think it might be worth making a new thread about if more users report this same issue, or for a place to see if more users chime in. ?

Overall update. SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!

uma

Reaction score
Update!: All my card games are big and bold finally. I discovered a "make apps fit the size of the screen" click. (I thought it was telling me it was in that mode but instead it was a menu hidden inside), I checked all the apps and low and behold all apps selected are huge and bold like everyone elses.

The only problem now is: Some games and movies won't flip upside down for me. This is awkward when its on the dock for instance. Its set on Auto Rotate and will turn landscape or portrait but it wont turn upside down when needef. Any tips?

dsakfong

Reaction score
Absolutely loving my Spectrum! Huge improvement over the Fascinate and then my rebooting Revolution. Speed & ips display!

Font size: adjust with "Big Font" from the Market. I like 110%

Launcher: reviewers knock the LG Touchwiz. Don't like it? Switch launchers... Go Launcher EX from the Market is my fav.

Battery life: so/so with stock battery, picked up an extended battery and case/holster from Verizon store.
.... Any suggestions on a battery saver app?

Updated Swype ... I actually LIKE that I have to add words. On the Fascinate especially, I spent so much time deleting my own misspellings from the Swype dictionary!
... Haven't found a way to avoid entering one of Swype's suggestions and start a word over, though, if I really mess up a word.

Haven't used the cameras yet but I am sure it will be fine for a phone. If I need better shots I'll use a dedicated camera.

Only shortcoming is lack of onboard storage. Revolution had 16 gig but Spectrum only came with 4, maybe 2 gig was available. App2SD should help.

This after 3 days with my new, blazing fast 4G toy!

liteon163

Reaction score
I switching from an AMOLED Droid Incredible and this LG Spectrum is quite nice.

It's going to take me awhile to get used to the bigger screen, especially when trying to type in landscape mode. My hands and fingers will adapt. Speaking of typing, I'm using SwiftKey X. I've gotten hooked on it ever since I got it as Amazon's Free App of the Day. I might start using Swype in portrait mode, though, as I find it easier in that arrangement.

The battery seems perfectly acceptable, so long as I get used to charging overnight again (like I used to before I rooted and ROM'd my old DInc).

As for readability, I am loving not having to zoom any webpage. It's also possible to read my Zinio digital magazines without zooming. Amazing. I am so glad I have another true RGB stripe display. The only drawback I've seen so far is that some apps (like Facebook for Android) won't rotate to landscape. I'm guessing this has a lot to do with the app's inability to go 1280 pixels wide. They'll get there eventually.

The display's colors don't pop like the old AMOLED, but they do seem much more natural after getting used to the new display.

I tried Go Launcher EX, but I didn't like it. One day I will try ADW again (it's what comes with CM7, so I tried it in the past). But right now I'm running Launcher Pro just like I did on my DInc. I like how its interface rotates when I change from portrait to landscape and back again. With this bigger display, I've added another row of icons. I'm running four columns by five rows and all of them are perfectly legible.

I've only had the phone for two days now, so I'll come back later with more impressions. And I'll be better organized next time.

More later