So who's super disappointed?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
If the trend was to remove all removable batteries, people are still going to buy a new phone sooner or later.

Of course we will if there is no other choice. However, if there is a choice between removable batteries and/or SD expansion then many will buy those because of those differences. I wonder if all those who make Samsung the top seller would still buy them instead of the more solid feeling Motos or HTC One if none had replaceable batteries and SD card expansion. I bet it's more than you think. Of course, no one really knows. Perhaps Samsung has done marketing studies that give them the answer, or maybe not.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Plus the x have 32 gb don't be cheap get the 32 gb god

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Where have you seen a 32GB Moto X? I can only find the 16GB one on both Verizon and AT&T. Please post a link where one can be bought on contract.

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
Where have you seen a 32GB Moto X? I can only find the 16GB one on both Verizon and AT&T. Please post a link where one can be bought on contract.

32 gb is available through moto maker for an extra $50

Sent from my Nexus 10

jamjr74

Reaction score
32 gb only on AT&T for the moment.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk 2

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Well idk what to tell u can always buy it off contract their stores that unblock them. That I'm going to do use it on tmobile prepaid

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Of course we will if there is no other choice. However, if there is a choice between removable batteries and/or SD expansion then many will buy those because of those differences. I wonder if all those who make Samsung the top seller would still buy them instead of the more solid feeling Motos or HTC One if none had replaceable batteries and SD card expansion. I bet it's more than you think. Of course, no one really knows. Perhaps Samsung has done marketing studies that give them the answer, or maybe not.

I actually would argue against SD cards, there's as many reasons against them as for them. But one thing I think we both would agree on is that manufacturers need to bump up the spec on internal storage.

add119

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
To many look at my signature.
Woodside bump specs internal then would ya pay for 64 gb for $300 on two year contract? If so ya should make comment on motorola forum

rocketsaucev2

Reaction score
Woodside bump specs internal then would ya pay for 64 gb for $300 on two year contract? If so ya should make comment on motorola forum

...?

Sent from my Nexus 10

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not disappointed in the device. I'm disappointed in the marketing (so far, but it's early) and pricing behind it. If it's priced identical to the S4, HTC One, iPhone 5 (5S soon), what compelling reason does an average user have to choose it over those devices (on any carrier)? Let alone the other Droid devices on Verizon? Can a retail rep truly convince an average user to choose it over those other options for the same price? There's only one truly compelling reason to the average user (who Moto is supposedly targeting with it)... and that's the form factor. But I don't think form factor alone can sell a device. Consumers will need to have the device in their head before they walk into a store, and so far I've seen nothing from Motorola with regard to primetime commercials or anything along those lines.

And I don't think it's even priced unfairly - but it's not priced competitively, and doesn't provide enough to the average user to overcome the pricing IMHO.

And FWIW, I had a Maxx for a week and loved it for the most part. But as implied by "had" - I'm not keeping it and I'm sticking with the S4 for now. (disclaimer: I'm a phone-camera snob! :tongue:)

Edit: Let me also add that if the camera was a bit better, I probably would've stuck with it... as an Android enthusiast, I can honestly say I feel it's the best Android device and Android experience out there. So it's not that I dislike the phone, at all.

Last edited:

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I could accept no SD expansion if the phone had at least 32GB memory and at least a 2600 mAh battery. The Droid Maxx meets this, but I think it's just a little too big for my pocket. What I really want is a Droid Mini Maxx, so to speak. A Droid Mini with 32GB and 2600 mAh. Maybe I'll wait to see when Verizon gets the X with 32GB or see if the S4 Mini materializes. I do like the X that I played with a bit at the Verizon store.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I actually would argue against SD cards, there's as many reasons against them as for them. But one thing I think we both would agree on is that manufacturers need to bump up the spec on internal storage.

Just what reason can there be against SD expansion? Take the Droid RAZR Maxx vs the Droid Maxx. Both have 32GB memory, but the RAZR Maxx has SD expansion. If 26GB free is enough then no need for the expansion, but if someone needs extra then the RAZR Maxx has the option. What valid reason can you give for the RAZR Maxx expansion being a disadvantage?

I do think that 32GB should be the minimum on phones these days.

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Just what reason can there be against SD expansion? Take the Droid RAZR Maxx vs the Droid Maxx. Both have 32GB memory, but the RAZR Maxx has SD expansion. If 26GB free is enough then no need for the expansion, but if someone needs extra then the RAZR Maxx has the option. What valid reason can you give for the RAZR Maxx expansion being a disadvantage?

I do think that 32GB should be the minimum on phones these days.

Most of it is simple confusion, the same reason Apple doesn't use SD cards. There's multiple conflicts with external storage:

Where do I store my files?
Where did my files go?
Should Android prompt me where to save every time I save?
Should Android have a setting to control file saving?

As an advanced user even I get confused from time to time just trying to figure out where a file I downloaded went, phone partition, internal partition, external partition...it's just messy.

Other reasons against:

Quirks brought on from the Apps2SD process such as broken widgets.

Phones would be faster, application performance would be smoother.

The lack of proper filesystem permissions. Because SD cards are generally formatted using the FAT file system due to high compatibility with multiple operating systems, they lack the concept of file ownership entirely. If Google wants to be taken seriously when it comes to security, there should be no weak links like that. Imagine a modern PC where an unprivileged user could access every file in the file system.

Adding the complexity of multiple users to something as portable as an SD card would undoubtedly create an array of problems. What happens when two users are using the same app that stores some of its data on the SD card? What happens when you move your SD card to another device with a different multiuser configuration (or lack of the concept of users entirely)?
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I guess I've been lucky then, as I have not had any of the problems that you mention, either in the 2 years that I had the Droid or the nearly 2 years that I've had my Inc2. I set up where I want my files to go and that's it. That's where they go. I'll take the versatility any day.

stemo

Reaction score
I played with the moto x today in Verizon. I loved the way the phone felt in hand. The phone was snappier than my razr m and I loved the vanilla Android.