Step-By-Step DIY Boot (M) Logo with pics

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Ok... as requested, this thread is dedicated to the Boot (M) Logo editing process. I did not come up with the "Hack" file that was started in order to make this work. Team Black Hat started a thread HERE. Also, there are instructions out there on how to do this, but some people are getting confused.

Here are the tools needed.

1) An Image Editor. I use GIMP 2. Its Free! Download GIMP 2.6 HERE

2) Frhed Hex Editor. Download HERE

3) 7Zip. Download HERE

4) LogoReplacer.Zip file attached.

First thing is create the image. Here's one I'll use for the DIY.

Mudflap2.jpg

Open the image using GIMP.
OpenGIMP.jpg

Most images are not sized correctly. They MUST be 480 pixels wide and 182 pixels tall.

Go to Image... Scale Image.
ScaleImage1.jpg

In the height part edit and make 182. Allow the image to stretch to this in order to retain proportion. This image is 400 X 400. Making the height 182, it will change the width to 182 automatically if the "Chain" is left linked. Then click Scale.

ScaleImage2.jpg

Now we need to make the image 480 wide. Go back to Image..... Canvas Size.

CanvasSize1.jpg

Once that opens, UNLINK the CHAIN next to the Canvas Size area

CanvasSize2.jpg

UNLINKED.....

CanvasSize3Unlinked.jpg

Then change the Width to 480.... and click Resize.

CanvasSize3WidthChange.jpg

Now we need to move the image to the center... Click the Move Tool... then drag the image to the center.

MoveTool.jpg
Centered.jpg

and now add the black background. In order to do this, I change my view to include "Layers". Hit CTRL + L. This will open it.

Layers.jpg

Click the little white "Sheet of paper at the bottom to ADD a layer". As long as the "Foreground" (Main Color) is set to black.... you can click Foreground... and just click ok.

NewLayer.jpg

Background.jpg

OH NO.... BLACK!!! No worries.... It's just a layer overtop of the other layer. Go to the Layer window and DRAG the new Black Layer below the main layer usually called Background.

DragLayer.jpg

480X182Done.jpg

ALMOST DONE! (with the image anyway)

NOTE!!!!! ** WHATEVER COLOR IS THE BORDER (1PX) WILL BE THE COLOR OF THE SCREEN **

If you want the image to be seen in the current orientation... we have to flip the image horizontally. This is due to the phones programming.

Flip.jpg

Flipped.jpg

Now click File.... Save As... Change the file extension up top to BMP. so... FileName.bmp... and click save.

SaveAs1.jpg

It will prompt for Merging the layers.... that's good.... Click Export.

Export.jpg

Then hit the + next to Advanced...

Export2.jpg

Click 24 Bit...

Export3.jpg

Woohoo... Image ready for Hex Editing.

Open Frhed and go to File Open.... and find the final BMP file you just created. Highlight the first 54 Bytes and click DELETE on your keyboard.

FrhedHighlighted.jpg

Leave the defaults and click OK.

FrhedDelete54.jpg

Hit CTRL + A in order to select all the bytes. Hopefully your file is the correct size. At the bottom of the screen it should say (262080 byte(s)). If there is any descrepency... some say it can be off by 2 bytes. GO to the very end of the file in Frhed... and delete the last 2 bytes.

Then go to edit and "Reverse Bytes".

FrhedReverseBits.jpg

Leave the Defaults... and click ok.

FrhedReverseBits2.jpg

Now go to File and Save As. Name the new file "logo.bin" EXACTLY! and click save.

logobinsaved.jpg

ALMOST DONE!

Open the LogoReplacer.Zip file with 7Zip. With the location of the logo.bin file opened within another window.... and 7Zip open to the side of it.... DRAG the logo.bin file overtop of 7Zip. It will ask you if you want to copy files to zip. YES!.

7ZipDrag.jpg

7ZipDragDone.jpg

Ok. Now the file is ready to be flashed. Copy the file to your SD card on your phone.... Reboot into recovery.... and install the file from ZIP. REBOOT!

ENJOY!!!

Last edited:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
sounds easy enough.. may try it. thanks for the walk through

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
No problem. Glad to help.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Thanks for the step by step! I tried before but there were a few steps that were a bit murky. This cleared it up and I just changed my boot image. This worked out great!

KerrAvon

Reaction score
NOTE!!!!! ** WHATEVER COLOR IS THE BORDER (1PX) WILL BE THE COLOR OF THE SCREEN **
I am unclear on what you mean by this.

I created an image with a white background instead of black like yours. The background around the image is white, but the rest of the screen in blue. I assume it is because of the line above, but could you further elaborate on that?

Also, can you tell me how I would go back to the stock M if I want to?

Thanks.

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
If you zoom way in on your image within gimp.... Check the 1 pixel that is up in the upper left of the image. Whatever color that is.... the rest of the screen will be that color. BalistikBill posted the Stock on HERE

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Thanks for the step by step! I tried before but there were a few steps that were a bit murky. This cleared it up and I just changed my boot image. This worked out great!

No problem. Glad to help. If you have any creative images that you want to share.... Make a thread and share! dancedroid

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've installed Gimp numerous times and always goes into not responding. Even downloaded it from CNET. Any suggestions AD? Can I use Photoshop?

This is what I was gonna try>>>

Last edited:

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just tried again selecting custom install. I thought maybe making all files readable by program would work, still freezes every time it try's loading:(

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Photoshop works just the same. I just don't have it installed to show you step by step directions.

KerrAvon

Reaction score
Are there color limitations on this?

I created one with the attached image but when the phone boots, the colors are kind a pinkish weird looking coloer

OP
ArmyDude

ArmyDude

Reaction score
Did you remember to "reverse bytes".... it may be wrong if you don't do that. As well as make sure it's 24 bit for the size of the file to come out to 262080 bytes