Stop OTA Update

Gunner67

Reaction score
Greetings,

My phone seems to have downloaded the OTA update and keeps asking me if I want to install the update. Almost every time I unlock my phone it pops up and asks me and I have to click "Install Later." Does anyone know how to turn this prompt off as I do not want to update and lose root access.

Thanks!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can freeze bloat and/or the updater file. Or install the rooted GB files.

CM74DX

jonathon1289

Reaction score
If you want to install the rooted GB flash, you need to SBF back to Froyo and turn on airplane mode first. Or you could possibly run into what I did....

I SBF'd back to Froyo, but before I could root and reboot to recovery, the OTA .596 update came up and asked me to install. I hit later, rebooted and wiped data and flashed the .596 rooted zip. So I then boot into GingerBread, and the damn OTA update started coming up again even though I was on .596 already!

So I did another SBF, turned on airplane mode and prevented the update check. This may not happen to everyone, but it did to me so just warning you.

FernBch

Reaction score
If you want to install the rooted GB flash, you need to SBF back to Froyo and turn on airplane mode first. Or you could possibly run into what I did....

I SBF'd back to Froyo, but before I could root and reboot to recovery, the OTA .596 update came up and asked me to install. I hit later, rebooted and wiped data and flashed the .596 rooted zip. So I then boot into GingerBread, and the damn OTA update started coming up again even though I was on .596 already!

So I did another SBF, turned on airplane mode and prevented the update check. This may not happen to everyone, but it did to me so just warning you.

When I decided to go with a custom rom, I started with a sbf. I wanted to have a "clean" device to start with. You should. IMHO, also do the following:

Make sure you wipe cache(s) AND factory reset before leaving recovery. When you reboot there are no remains from previous installs.

After I SBF'd back to Froyo I rooted, installed D2 bootstrap, then the TBH pre-rooted 2 part. Also wipe and factory reset and davlick wipe before reboot.

If it asks for OTA update before you get to install the 2 part, choose cancel or later. That info will be gone when you wipe/factory reset and never ask you again.

Wait to sign in to your google account, if you have one, until after you're up and running the 2 part. It's pointless to do it before.

My DroidX Thrives on the DarkSlide!!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

When I decided to go with a custom rom, I started with a sbf. I wanted to have a "clean" device to start with. You should. IMHO, also do the following:

Make sure you wipe cache(s) AND factory reset before leaving recovery. When you reboot there are no remains from previous installs.

After I SBF'd back to Froyo I rooted, installed D2 bootstrap, then the TBH pre-rooted 2 part. Also wipe and factory reset and davlick wipe before reboot.

If it asks for OTA update before you get to install the 2 part, choose cancel or later. That info will be gone when you wipe/factory reset and never ask you again.

Wait to sign in to your google account, if you have one, until after you're up and running the 2 part. It's pointless to do it before.

If he is already on GB, an sbf is just a preference. I have tried it both ways and can't say it really mattered.

CM74DX

FernBch

Reaction score

If he is already on GB, an sbf is just a preference. I have tried it both ways and can't say it really mattered.

CM74DX

Very true. The only reason I did it that way was the instructions I followed recommended to start with an SBF.

OP
G

Gunner67

Reaction score
Anyone have any suggesgions on a program that will freeze the updater, I have titanium backup but.i.do not want to pay for it to use the freeze function...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Use Bloat Freezer from the market. Its only $.99 and works great. The developer is awesome and if you have any problems with it, he will bend over backwards to help you

LGX v2.4

Nyobie

Reaction score
I know this thread is several months old but I'd like to know what the option is to the recommended solution since the Market no longer has an app by the name mentioned above. My TB is now rooted with S-OFF, confirmed, and I've used Ti Backup for the apps and data just now (flawlessly executed).

In the Market, I found an app called Root Uninstaller which appears to be the new name for the app mentioned above, but it doesn't have listed on the apps, anything called 'Updater'. What are other options to freeze the pesky OTA Updater?

Thanks!

Savagerun

Reaction score
I don't know of any free apps that will allow you to freeze things but there's paid apps that will and titanium backup pro is one of them. Plenty of people have used it to freeze the updater.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know this thread is several months old but I'd like to know what the option is to the recommended solution since the Market no longer has an app by the name mentioned above. My TB is now rooted with S-OFF, confirmed, and I've used Ti Backup for the apps and data just now (flawlessly executed).

In the Market, I found an app called Root Uninstaller which appears to be the new name for the app mentioned above, but it doesn't have listed on the apps, anything called 'Updater'. What are other options to freeze the pesky OTA Updater?

Thanks!

ROM Toolbox has it also. I have both Titanium Backup Pro and ROM Toolbox Pro and I prefer ROM Toolbox for freezing apps because its much faster and doesn't require a reboot.

X

Nyobie

Reaction score
Ok, thanks!

It's unfortunate that there's no generic updater freezer out there.

I woke up to a soft bricked phone again today. :(

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Droid X/2's seem to be pretty susceptible to that, unfortunately

X

hillbilliegreg

Reaction score
Antek will freeze apps free, my backup root backs up apps and data for free

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk