Strange Download from Samsung on the Verizon Galaxy Note 4!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I noticed this morning that I had a strange download from Google play. I didn't install it.It was just loaded to my phone. Has anyone else notice this?

6d2f23289b7ab3ff1ab415246cadeca4.jpg

Sent from my GNote4 using Tapatalk!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I had to search to find it. Wasn't listed in my apps as having an update available, but after I searched and found it, it said it has an update. The s4 used to handle this through the Samsung Hub I think. I know there was an option in settings to check for security policy updates.

The way I see it, since I'm not worried about root or anything, and this is from Samsung themselves and has Security in the title, I'll update it. I always let it update on my s4 when I got the notification.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I had to search to find it. Wasn't listed in my apps as having an update available, but after I searched and found it, it said it has an update. The s4 used to handle this through the Samsung Hub I think. I know there was an option in settings to check for security policy updates.

The way I see it, since I'm not worried about root or anything, and this is from Samsung themselves and has Security in the title, I'll update it. I always let it update on my s4 when I got the notification.
I never had Knox on my Note 3. I just do not like that they installed it without giving me an option of say yes or no.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I tried. It is still there asking to be upgraded.

Can you "Turn Off"? I really don't see it as a big deal. I would think you'd want security policies updated on your device, but maybe that's just me...

It was originally in the settings menu, and they've apparently moved it to the Play Store, which I believe was a part of Google's new "demands" for oems to use Android and be able to use gapps.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
By default my AT&T model was unchecked, got a similar message but not from the Play store, it was in the pull down notifications. After checking the box it updated in the background
a405b48e2b7f080ae250d8c95302e4e2.jpg

1df3e89d620b14c49c12f02ba2ff85a5.jpg

Settings, security,

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
By default my AT&T model was unchecked, got a similar message but not from the Play store, it was in the pull down notifications. After checking the box it updated in the background
a405b48e2b7f080ae250d8c95302e4e2.jpg

1df3e89d620b14c49c12f02ba2ff85a5.jpg

Settings, security,
That's the way it worked with my s4, but it would have the Samsung hub or store or whatever they call it icon in the status bar when downloading.

Frankly, I'm glad it's handled in the play store now. The less I have to rely on Sammy's weird app store, the better.

I can't even figure out how to get into it on the Note 4 without the widget. Haha

Sent from my Note 4

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Personally I would set it up. If you open up the camera app and click on modes, it gives you an option to download extra camera modes that are crucial for taking quality pictures on your Galaxy device. They can only be obtained however through Samsung's app store. The extra modes I downloaded for my S5 made a huge difference in overall picture quality when it came to action shots and a few others.
You can also disable updates from downloading automatically and disable many of the Samsung features AFTER you've downloaded them. Unlike Amazon apps (which I refuse to use) they still work without needing an active connection.
Just my 2 cents.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Personally I would set it up. If you open up the camera app and click on modes, it gives you an option to download extra camera modes that are crucial for taking quality pictures on your Galaxy device. They can only be obtained however through Samsung's app store. The extra modes I downloaded for my S5 made a huge difference in overall picture quality when it came to action shots and a few others.
You can also disable updates from downloading automatically and disable many of the Samsung features AFTER you've downloaded them. Unlike Amazon apps (which I refuse to use) they still work without needing an active connection.
Just my 2 cents.

S5 tap'n
The camera modes, s health. There are some things I use it for, but like to stay away from it when not needed.

Sent from my Note 4

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
This is for SELinux. Update it!
Knox is optional on my note 3.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents.

S5 tap'n
That should be in the "tips you may not know about" thread!
Thank you.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is for SELinux. Update it!
Knox is optional on my note 3.
Please elaborate. I have Knox in my applications manager under "all" but dad burn if I see anything about Knox anywhere else on my phone. Same thing on my Note2.
Thanks

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Please elaborate. I have Knox in my applications manager under "all" but dad burn if I see anything about Knox anywhere else on my phone. Same thing on my Note2.
Thanks

Do you see it under the "Running" section in the app manager? I have 6 Knox apps under "All", but I haven't installed the core Knox app. It asked me at first boot if I wanted to set it up and I declined.

I use the standard encryption since my company has not made Knox mandatory yet.

Do you have the Knox shortcut in your app drawer? If I click on mine it prompts me to download the Knox files.