Sudden Change in Battery Life (major decrease)

alboboy10

Reaction score
No it's not...I'm not saying u should swap out the processor.

All phones have problems...that's all I said. This one is fixable if you put in the time to fix it.

The extended battery is an option and no root needed.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
No it's not...I'm not saying u should swap out the processor.

All phones have problems...that's all I said. This one is fixable if you put in the time to fix it.

Why should I have to take a new phone that is under warranty, hack it and install a ROM, terminating my warranty, in order to get it to "run properly"?

That's not a solution for me, although it is one that helps VZW. You void your warranty so now they are entirely off the hook for whatever happens, and you have taken it upon yourself, thus taking them off the hook for fixing the damned problem in the first place.

If I have an old bike that I like and want to keep and maintain, then sure, I will put in the time and expense to do so.

But when I buy a brand new one and it comes with a warranty and it craps out on the ride home, you can bet that I will be taking it back to the dealer and expecting them to fix it. I will not be "taking the time" to fix the problems that they knew about but didn't bother to fix at the factory.

If you want to do that, that's cool, its a free country. But I think it is lame that I have to root and ROM a phone in order to get a 2600mAh battery to last until dinner time.

If she turns on 4G, her battery dies before lunch time and that is with it charging all night and coming off the charger at 6am and barely being used.

So right now she has no 4G, which was the primary reason for getting the Thunderbolt in the first place. This is the same crap that Apple and AT&T pulled when their phones dropped calls every few minutes, so their solution was to take their new latest and greatest 3G model, and disable 3G.

That's not a solution, any more than a new Corvette having issues so they tell you to just unplug 4 of the spark plug wires. It defeats the purpose of what the device was intended for in the first place. If I wanted a 4 cylinder car with 160hp, I would not have paid the extra money for the Vette, right?

So she has this "amazing" phone that cannot use 4G without killing a high capacity battery in hours, just sitting there with the screen off. So she has to use 3G, which is about as fast as 56k dial up. VZW 3G is about as fast as AT&T's EDGE network. To put it bluntly, it sucks.

And so no, she isn't going to root it and ROM it and void her warranty in order to hopefully get the phone to work properly.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Idk what to say I actually don't notice a huge difference between 4g and 3g...except when phone just drains battery for no reason.

As far as extended battery goes to be honest mine went a full day no problem on HEAVY USE. No rom either.

Now I put my tiny battery back and I leave it on 4g. I just killed 40% of my battery in about 1.5 hours without taking the phone off my hand. Phone went 21 hours though. And the day before 25. Here I'll show u a screen shot I took yesterday.

I understand u don't wanna hack...but there's no other options at the moment if u want 4g. Unfortunately

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1308329697840.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1308329697840.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 263

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Idk what to say I actually don't notice a huge difference between 4g and 3g...except when phone just drains battery for no reason.

As far as extended battery goes to be honest mine went a full day no problem on HEAVY USE. No rom either.

Now I put my tiny battery back and I leave it on 4g. I just killed 40% of my battery in about 1.5 hours without taking the phone off my hand. Phone went 21 hours though. And the day before 25. Here I'll show u a screen shot I took yesterday.

I understand u don't wanna hack...but there's no other options at the moment if u want 4g. Unfortunately

She got horrendous battery life with the stock battery, so VZW sent her a new extended one, free of charge.

Helped a lot. They the update was pushed out, things were fine for a week, and now she is back to awful battery life. Extended battery, fully charged, dropped to 60% in like 3 hours and she never turned the screen on.

Disabled 4G, batter lasts normal time.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I heard the update wasn't too helpful. I never got it. Could be a bad device also

leo67

Reaction score
Why should I have to take a new phone that is under warranty, hack it and install a ROM, terminating my warranty, in order to get it to "run properly"?
That's not a solution for me, although it is one that helps VZW. You void your warranty so now they are entirely off the hook for whatever happens, and you have taken it upon yourself, thus taking them off the hook for fixing the damned problem in the first place.

So right now she has no 4G, which was the primary reason for getting the Thunderbolt in the first place.

I agree why should i hack a new phone,, it should be working as advertised

No 4G that's what's really pissin me off, I wait for a 4G device to run it in 3G WTF!!

Just at dinner tonight with a few friends, a cell phone conversation came up.. they were not convinced that the batt life with these phones under 4G is horrible, so I toggled my phone up to 4G, put it back in it's holster and an hour and a half later pulled it out unlocked the screen and sure nuff it said down to 15% and plug the phone + it was warm

2 of them had interest in the phone...... not anymore

slinky

Reaction score

This has been my experience too. The standard battery runs down to nothing quickly. The extended lasts the full day.

alboboy10

Reaction score

So right now she has no 4G, which was the primary reason for getting the Thunderbolt in the first place.

No 4G that's what's really pissin me off, I wait for a 4G device to run it in 3G WTF!!

Just at dinner tonight with a few friends, a cell phone conversation came up.. they were not convinced that the batt life with these phones under 4G is horrible, so I toggled my phone up to 4G, put it back in it's holster and an hour and a half later pulled it out unlocked the screen and sure nuff it said down to 15% and plug the phone + it was warm

If I show them mine their opinion might change.

leo67

Reaction score

If I show them mine their opinion might change.

yours is running without issues?

alboboy10

Reaction score
Every phone has issues. EVERY. Including the Igod.

Mine is hacked and has a rom though so maybe it's not fair to compare. The gps issue was a problem but I leave mine on all the time and now locks quick. My phone never had the reboot problem. And battery drain on 4g only happens cause of the network...not the phone. I'm sure the charge faces the 4g drain.

I have the tiny battery and my phone is going past 24 hours. I used to usethe extended battery but I don't really need it anymore.

alboboy10

Reaction score
U have to understand 4g is new to phones...especially the speeds verizon is offering.

For now, problems will exist. It's new technology.

kevins686

Reaction score

Let's say you go buy a new Ford Mustang GT. Let's say the car's fuel economy is advertised at 20mpg, and you buy the car expecting that. It's a performance car, after all, and equipped with a V-8, so you have no illusions about getting great mileage.

But let's say that a week after you buy the car, you're getting about 10mpg, and that this is through normal driving, nothing crazy.

Let's further suppose that the only advice you can find is to carry fewer passengers, or even remove the rear seats in order to save weight, thus improving your fuel economy. Also, there's all kinds of suggestions on the Ford forums about mods you can do to your engine. Sure, it'll void your new car's warranty, but you might eke a few more miles from a tank of gas.

Then, after all that, let's say the dealer offers to sell you an external fuel tank that mounts to the roof of your car.

Geez I love analogies.

leo67

Reaction score
And battery drain on 4g only happens cause of the network...not the phone. I'm sure the charge faces the 4g drain.

If this was the case, then the mad battery drain should of been happening since day one
On mine it started a month after my purchase,, trust me this was behaving well out of the box, 4G all day with a 6-8 hr batt life with my moderate use, and close to 12-14 with little to no use
and no overheating issues at all

what's the "charge"

alboboy10

Reaction score
It's a phone.

idk after putting a rom on my phone I love it