Sudden Home Wi-Fi Problems!?!

Tony_Stark

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
Through research I have seen that a number of people have had this problem, but I couldn't find a solution or anyone that solved the problem so bare with me if this has been covered...

I have a Galaxy S3 (my wife has the Galaxy Nexus and has the same issue, my daughter has an iphone and has no issue)

We have connected to our wi-fi router (Comcast/Xfinity) for over a year with no problems. We have a Smart TV as well as a laptop that connect and perform with no problem whatsoever. The phones have also worked perfectly as well up until about a month ago.

I noticed that photos weren't loading on Facebook or Instagram. Then Facebook wasn't updating all-together. My husband was having the same issue. Now just about all apps that require a refresh or load do not work or take an extremely long time to "catch up"

I have been in contact with my internet provider who sent a refresh signal to the router and instructed me to unplug and plug it back in. No help. I spoke to the Verizon Wireless support who had me do a factory reset on the phone. No help.

I have also tried a few random things that other posters suggested on the forums and no luck there either.

Both phones show a strong and full signal for wi-fi and as I stated all other devices working perfectly.

Has anyone come up with a reason or solution to this problem? Thank you in advance.

T.S.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Have you gone into WIFI settings on your phone and Tap Forget? Shut down your phone and reboot the router. Now start your phone and connect to wifi.

OP
Tony_Stark

Tony_Stark

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S5
Hi Jeffrey and thank you for your response. I have not tried those things in that order. I have done both, but not one after the other. I will give that a shot. Have you had experience with this process solving the problem or is it just a brainstorm? Thank you very much!

wcjeep

Reaction score
Is the router up to date? Friend had the same problem. Supplied cable router had old firmware. Their previous iPhone worked OK with old router firmware. The Galaxy S3 refused. Also, be sure the WiFi encryption is not using WEP. This is a very low level encryption. The iPhone works with WEP. The Galaxy won't bother with it. Try WPA/psk.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Hi Jeffrey and thank you for your response. I have not tried those things in that order. I have done both, but not one after the other. I will give that a shot. Have you had experience with this process solving the problem or is it just a brainstorm? Thank you very much!
I have had this problem myself as have many forum members. If this does not work, take wcjeep's suggestion and check to see that your router's firmware is up to date. Make sure encryption is set to WPA-PSK