Sunday Evening Chat: Charging tech

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Moto_accessories_Agate_Turbo_Beauty_US_MEX_540p0u5pqv4.png

I want to start by congratulating both the Seahawks and the Patriots for advancing to the Superbowl. I know our buddy @mountainbikermark will have his Patriots flag waving come Feb 1st. J/k MB we know you bleed blue and green.

Those of us with a Nexus 6, Droid Turbo, or Moto X (2nd gen) have experienced how much faster the turbo charger charges up our devices versus the standard chargers. Though this may not be a big deal all the time as most of us charge our devices overnight, the one day you forget to plug in your phone or have been unable to, being able to charge up your device in 15 minutes is a plus. This begs the question, what is more important, a battery that lasts 3 days on a single charge or a battery that lasts 29 hrs but can be charged to full in 15 minutes?

As we continue to see the Google Play Store expand with more quality content I continue to marvel at how far android has progressed with its app store.
Wait should I marvel at this?
Yes the Play Store continues to expand with quality media content but if we were to just look at the app store from top to bottom is the number of quality apps improving or about the same?

Lastly for Nexus 6 owners there is a report that Motorola has acknowledged that some are experiencing issues with their back covers coming unglued. If you have experienced this issue let us know. As of now my back cover has been solid but that has me questioning the choice to use glue vs mechanical means.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had to really deal with charging tech as every phone I've gotten has always lasted me an entire days length for battery life. Maybe I'm not the biggest power user but I've never found myself worrying about battery with the exception of using my phone for GPS in my car and having the screen on for over an hour for GPS. That definitely kills a battery but being in the car, the screen is on max brightness, its not a normal use for the device. With my new Nexus 6, I am glad that it has the ability to give me a fair amount of charge time in very little time. It'll help in that pinch if that pinch every arises. I like knowing its there even if I don't use it. I'm using QI charging on my nightstand at night so I don't have to bother with a plug and its always at 100% battery when I wake up.

For those who do use the battery quickly, I feel rapid charging or whatever term each OEM calls it should be a sought after feature. Why its not on every phone is baffling. But hey, gotta keep that one feature for the next generation phone, right?

Charging overnight makes the turbo charger overkill. I've only used it a couple times during the day. I would rather it have two charging modes that were user selectable and have it default to show charging to preserve the life of the non-removable battery.

Turbo charging is an awesome feature but only when I need it. So I carry my turbo charger in the car so it's always close by should I need it. Instead I'm using the charger that came with my MAXX to charger overnight and I always wake up in the morning with the phone fully charged. Now if they could bring that 30 second charging to market all bets are off. Then batteries could be smaller again and charging would be so fast and uneventful it would be almost a joke.

Charging every night is a routine and it's easy. If the battery were to be able to last three days I might forget to charge it on the third evening and wake on day four to a dead phone. 24 hours battery life is plenty.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

Last edited:
Charging overnight makes the turbo charger overkill. I've only used it a couple times during the day. I would rather it have two charging modes that were user selectable and have it default to show charging to preserve the life of the non-removable battery.

Turbo charging is an awesome feature but only when I need it. So I carry my turbo charger in the car so it's always close by should I need it. Instead I'm using the charger that came with my MAXX to charger overnight and I always wake up in the morning with the phone fully charged. Now if they could bring that 30 second charging to market all bets are off. Then batteries could be smaller again and charging would be so fast and uneventful it would be almost a joke.

Charging every night is a routine and it's easy. If the battery were to be able to last three days I might forget to charge it on the third evening and wake on day four to a dead phone. 24 hours battery life is plenty.

Sent from my Droid Turbo on Tapatalk.

I agree with your points here. My Note 4 has a checkbox for Adaptive Fast Charging, which I can uncheck when it's not plugged in. However, as soon as the Fast charger is plugged in, the box is grayed out and checked. It's very rare that I charge my phone any time other than overnight and becoming even more rare now that I got my spare battery, so a trickle charge option without having to switch chargers would be nice.

As for the question of apps in the Play store, I'd say that we ARE seeing an increase in quality apps, but that doesn't necessarily correlate to the increased number of overall apps, if that makes sense. The number of overall apps is increasing at one rate, while I would say the number of quality apps is increasing at a slower rate in comparison.

My Droid Turbo has been giving me ~35-40hr on a charge. It charges fully under 2hrs with Turbo Charger. I have recently bought a Wireless Charger (Incipio Ghost 100) for it as an alternate charger. With this phone I don't have to Charge overnight anymore. This may be the Best phone I have ever owned. Just wished it had expandable Memory & Rooted already.

The turbo charger has changed the way I charge my phone. I no longer charge it overnight, especially since the Nexus 6 can standby very well IMO. I either take my charger to work and charge there while working, or let it charge while I am getting ready for work in the morning. Same for my Moto 360, except I power it off at night, then let it wireless charge while getting ready for work.

I did notice when I have used the Qi charger for my Nexus 6 overnight the couple times I have done it, my battery drops from 100% to mid 90% much quicker than when I use the turbo charger. I also notice that wireless charging makes the phone heat up much more than turbo charging, all of which leads me to want to stick to stock turbo charging for all my charging needs.

And so far no issues with my back cover, will keep an eye out and fingers crossed.

Can you get a Turbo charger for the Samsung galaxy s4?
Would this charger work on it?

Back