Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

D

Dragon3463

You can say what you want about it, but leaving a app running in the back is a very bad idea...But that's just my opinion and I won't respond to this again..

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can say what you want about it, but leaving a app running in the back is a very bad idea...But that's just my opinion and I won't respond to this again..

Uh, OK. You don't want to offer any proof of your claim? This is a DISCUSSION board, you know?

If you mean that you should use the Exit/Quit/Close button of an app then I agree with you. It is something you might want to do because it's probably there for a reason. This is especially true for the Navigation app as it can leave GPS going if you don't do menu > Exit.

But even if apps have an exit button, it normally isn't even needed to use it. The OS is smart enough to free up resources as needed. An app sitting idly in memory is using basically zero battery power. If the app is DOING SOMETHING, then it is using battery power. If the app is poorly designed it will use unneeded resources. Uninstall it!

M.Opaliski

Reaction score
aminaked said:
If you mean that you should use the Exit/Quit/Close button of an app then I agree with you. It is something you might want to do because it's probably there for a reason.

If there's one complaint that I have about some of the Apps out there that I use, it's the lack of an Exit option. And even then, maybe I'm just complaining about nothing.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
aminaked said:
If you mean that you should use the Exit/Quit/Close button of an app then I agree with you. It is something you might want to do because it's probably there for a reason.

If there's one complaint that I have about some of the Apps out there that I use, it's the lack of an Exit option. And even then, maybe I'm just complaining about nothing.

Well, yeah, especially coming from Windows where you have to close things when you're done. But Android really is different. If NO app had an exit button, Android can still handle it and free resources as needed. It gets you wondering why apps do have exit buttons since they're normally not really needed.

D

Dragon3463

If that be the case. Then why don't we just start designing pcs that way. They are supposedly way smarter then the android os.
Its not that i don't understand the concept behind the thinking of the developers. I understand it very well. I do vb, c++, and few other programming languages. Have also played with android os as well. Just think its a bad idea.
I'm not an expert on the subject but do know enough that using the system memory will slow it down.
That is my last comment on this subject for sure but had to respond on it one last time.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The design of Android is not meant to be a discussion.

It's been explained.

If you want to hold onto backwards thinking, go ahead.

Android opens apps because that's how it's supposed to run. It will reclaim memory when it needs it.

Open Google, do some searching, the proof will STARE YOU IN THE FACES :)

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're going to post, be productive.

Coming into this thread just to be a pain will get you no where, unless you're looking for a vacation :)

nerdkill

Reaction score
i've never used auto killer apps before. if i've ever had a problem with an app messing with my phone i've gone one by one to figure out what's going on. HOWEVER, i have started using the autokiller app on the market that changes the os's memory management. my phone has NEVER run better. nothing drives me crazier than launcher re-draws. i have had ZERO redraws since i started using it. god himself can write a blog and tell me to stop using it and i'd refuse. doubled my satisfaction with my x.

ffej89

Reaction score
Im just curious how an app that is in the background pulling no cpu's is magically making your phone slower?

nerdkill

Reaction score
Im just curious how an app that is in the background pulling no cpu's is magically making your phone slower?

i'm guessing when it runs out of memory it is closing the launcher. now with autokiller adjusting the memory settings i haven't had that problem to answer your condescending question.

ffej89

Reaction score

i'm guessing when it runs out of memory it is closing the launcher. now with autokiller adjusting the memory settings i haven't had that problem to answer your condescending question.

Not condescending at all, Valid question

nerdkill

Reaction score
example of a normal question,
"do you have any opinions on how running this program is making your phone faster? i don't get how it's working when apps in the background are not pulling any cpu's"
example of a condescending question, "Im just curious how an app that is in the background pulling no cpu's is magically making your phone slower?"

at the end of the day it doesn't matter the reason when the end result is what it is. why don't you try it and see if it helps. that's the only true way to know the answer to the question. and keep in mind this is not a true auto killer, just a memory tweak. i'm not ending all my processes.

ffej89

Reaction score
" and keep in mind this is not a true auto killer, just a memory tweak. i'm not ending all my processes".[/QUOTE]

This is the kind of answer i was looking for. I write a question how i see it and it was not meant in anyway to offend anyone. I used the word magically as a tangible and not a slap in the face.

I use system panel to monitor my phone and in doing so i see no background apps using cpu therefor i see no need to kill an app.

I'm not saying your wrong or i'm right, i'm simply saying i dont understand how it helps

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only way to know if you've set up an automated task killer that beats what Google's engineers have already implemented in Android is to EXPERIMENT. Try it with and without the task killer. Which way makes the battery last longer? Which way makes the phone perform faster? Which way causes fewer headaches?

A lot of times a task killer will drain the battery, slow things down, and cause headaches. People are installing these things and actually hurting their performance and battery life. They're sitting there pressing a task killing widget 20 times a day for no good reason. Is it really worth it? Try it with and without the task killers.

For most users: it's not worth it. Uninstall it. Relax. Android's got you covered.

For advanced users: keep tweaking, keep experimenting.

To both: DRRROOOOOIIID

JohnnyDepth

Reaction score
example of a normal question,
"do you have any opinions on how running this program is making your phone faster? i don't get how it's working when apps in the background are not pulling any cpu's"
example of a condescending question, "Im just curious how an app that is in the background pulling no cpu's is magically making your phone slower?"

Why take offense to a comment that isn't directed at you?
The person is just curious. You assumed (incorrectly).
They don't have to ask questions in the manner you expect them to be asked.

I'm not saying your wrong or i'm right, i'm simply saying i dont understand how it helps

Try it out for yourself, and do a search on this app once
you've downloaded it. It isn't an app designed from the ground up
like other apps may have been...and it doesn't function on its own.

This app allows the end user to fine tune Android's already impeccable
linux based app/process/service management system.

I've yet to experience a "redraw" with the knowledge I've recently
discovered.

Last edited: