Task Killers... The Answer from Google & Developers.

ejcrossl

Reaction score
I have not been able to watch any videos from youtube or anywhere else. I usually get 7 seconds then it freezes. I can wait a while and get a few more seconds to load. Is that due to lack of RAM? I live in Phoenix, should have good 3g coverage. Any suggestions for watching videos? I dont' think using a task klller before downloading has helped.

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pardon me for not reading all 44 pages, but if Task Killers of some sort aren't neccesary then why are some apps that utterly impossible to close.

After reading the main topic I might not use ATK again but I'll be looking for one that lets me shut down certain apps one at a time.

Just watch the video in the first post. If an app needs to be closed, it'll have an exit or close button within it. If not, the Android OS will reclaim the RAM it's using if/when it needs it. That's how it's designed to work.

This isn't a Windows environment. That conventional thinking isn't applied.

OP
Martin030908

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have not been able to watch any videos from youtube or anywhere else. I usually get 7 seconds then it freezes. I can wait a while and get a few more seconds to load. Is that due to lack of RAM? I live in Phoenix, should have good 3g coverage. Any suggestions for watching videos? I dont' think using a task klller before downloading has helped.

Try it on wi-fi. If it works, then it's your coverage.

izzyfanto

Reaction score
anybody have an opinion on "AutoKiller Memory Optimizer"? the guys website says it just "adjusts" Androids built in manager, and you can also adjust the "oom"(???) value so the program gets less importance and closed by Android OS earlier than usual. it sounds like it makes alot of sense. i have been using it and i haven't noticed any problems with it.

another thought i have is: when a program is locked up or having problems, instead of waiting for Android OS to resolved the issue or FC or reboot, i just go into the Autokiller and kill it manually. then i restart the app and it works fine. seems to be logical to me??

anybody have anything to say?

Ajkaz

Reaction score
Last week I removed my advanced task killer because I was experiencing frequent fc's with multiple appear. My OG droid now runs much much smoother. Its an unbelievable difference. Especially because I've had task killer since I can remember. On a side note I rooted a few days ago and after overcloking with setcpu and creating profiles my battery life has nearly doubled!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

N

Nickchapa

So in this post is there a list of autorun managers? I had a post asking what apps there are that only keep apps from running all the time when I only use them twice a week. Hookbill closed my thread andhe didnt even understand what I was asking.

N

Nickchapstick

so i have been using autorun manager app and dicided to turn it all the way off and my taskiller. so the battery life went down dramatically. so i think the usefullness of the task killer and autorun manager is dependant on what apps you use and what apps run all the time.

N

Nickchapstick

anybody have an opinion on "AutoKiller Memory Optimizer"? the guys website says it just "adjusts" Androids built in manager, and you can also adjust the "oom"(???) value so the program gets less importance and closed by Android OS earlier than usual. it sounds like it makes alot of sense. i have been using it and i haven't noticed any problems with it.

another thought i have is: when a program is locked up or having problems, instead of waiting for Android OS to resolved the issue or FC or reboot, i just go into the Autokiller and kill it manually. then i restart the app and it works fine. seems to be logical to me??

anybody have anything to say?

noooo dude didnt you read the thing? it said having empty memory takes the same power as having apps you dont use in memory! dont have open memory its so bad for your phone! you should have most of your memory gummed up by apps you arent using or are "likely" (probly not though cuz your phone doesnt know you beter than you)to use in the future (how long in the future your phone doesnt know though)... lol.i like that one. but i like autorun manager better. just my preference.

harrellj

Reaction score
so i have been using autorun manager app and dicided to turn it all the way off and my taskiller. so the battery life went down dramatically. so i think the usefullness of the task killer and autorun manager is dependant on what apps you use and what apps run all the time.

It totally is dependent on the apps you use, but needing one is a sign of a badly programmed app. If you can narrow it down to a particular app, let the dev know so they can correct it. Alternatively, see if a similar app will do better.

Yeah, yeah.. I'm on my phone. So?

N

Nickchapa

43be0cd1-5c06-108a.jpg
43be0cd1-5c1a-4fbe.jpg

Ok so thats a screen shot of what my taskiller app says in running or whatever... I took that less than five minutes after turning my phone on From the off state it was in all night. Is that normal? Thats why I use an autorun manager. I dont use half that crap more than twice a week...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

N

Nickchapa

No answers? Thought so

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You do realize that just because an app is open doesn't mean its running, right?

No answers? Thought so

DroidForums Junkie!!

N

Nickchapa

I know that. Im not a *tickle me elmo* retard. I know stuffs running cuz my app called seepu++ says my cpu is running at max all day eventhough im on the conservative governor and im on the homescreen doing nothing

Last edited by a moderator:

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know that. Im not a *tickle me elmo* retard. I know stuffs running cuz my app called seepu++ says my cpu is running at max all day eventhough im on the conservative governor and im on the homescreen doing nothing

Look in Battery Use and see what apps/systems are consuming the most battery. You have a, or some, faulty app(s) and need to find them and replace them with other apps. Or you have a bad install of the rom you are using. If you can't find any rogue apps, then reflash your rom with a wipe. Task Killers are band-aids. Find the problem and fix it and then delete your task killer.

Last edited by a moderator: