Tethering to my Original Droid issue

Techsniffer

Reaction score
I am having an issue, maybe with my Xoom.

My xoom connects to my home router, a friends sprint hotspot and see's various other WiFi connections. However when I start up WiFi tethering from my original Droid (or from my friends original Droid) it cannot see it and its unable to manually connect to them. But we have both confirmed that other devices can see our connections from the Droid wireless tether.

Does anyone know how/why I would not be able to see my Droid WiFi tether in the Xoom?

OP
T

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Thanks so much for that, I found another thread that was very similar but it had the ordering of certain steps off enough so I couldnt get it to work. But this worked great, I'm now tethered via BT which is fine by me!
Thanks again

snowman

Reaction score
I have a Droid 1 and when installed the tether program listed in your link, it says my kernel will not run the application properly, does the tethering only work on a rooted phone?

darkmatter

Reaction score
I have a Droid 1 and when installed the tether program listed in your link, it says my kernel will not run the application properly, does the tethering only work on a rooted phone?

Last I heard, Verizon's official stance on wifi tethering with the droid is that its not even possible...or something to that effect.

but yes, you need to be rooted to wifi tether the og droid.

snowman

Reaction score
Ok thanks I appreciate it , when I saw it in settings I thought it may be possible, iy must be there for the future

OP
T

Techsniffer

Reaction score
Yes you need to have a rooted original Droid for this to work, and you cannot tether to WiFi between the Xoom and OG Droid you will have to use Bluetooth tethering.

Reaction score
Will this work with the samsung fascinate? I'm rooted and the wifi app works fine when tethering to my laptop but using bluetooth it pairs fine to my laptop but I'm not seeing the tethering option on my xoom.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

jrmdroid

Reaction score
Ok thanks I appreciate it , when I saw it in settings I thought it may be possible, iy must be there for the future

It works but you have to pay to use that functionality in order to usb tether. Last I checked it is 20 bucks for 1 or 2 gig a month.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The bluetooth tethering will work on any phone. You do not have to be rooted

rickt1152

Reaction score
There were a number of us with D1s that couldn't successfully tether via Bluetooth. For those rooted users out there, there was just an update to Wireless Tether to version 2.07 and it fixed all of issues. Sent from my Xoom tethered to my OG Droid.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Cardini

Reaction score
There were a number of us with D1s that couldn't successfully tether via Bluetooth. For those rooted users out there, there was just an update to Wireless Tether to version 2.07 and it fixed all of issues. Sent from my Xoom tethered to my OG Droid.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

The update did not help me.

snowman

Reaction score
Thanks guys that good to know, I'm due for a new in Nov. so maybe the new will work

Reaction score
If you search wifi tethering for root users through google and you should see an option for wifi tether 3.0 experimental and it worked for my fascinate. Not sure if it work on the droid.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums App

snowman

Reaction score
just me, but I don't want to Root, I'm a geek on computers and really don't understand what rooting is other then maybe creating a rom through the basic kernel, never really looked into it, but if it dosen't do it stock then really not interested, thanks though.
I thought maybe there was a way since it is in the firmware?