The Droid 3 is laggin big time.

landdesigner

Reaction score
I purchased this Droid 3 in July of 2011, I have always loved it. However, it is really laggin now and having fits on many levels:
1. I replaced the battery, and it still looses power to quickly.

2. The camera is crashing all the time, has a terrible time loading, crashing when it tries to focus, ends up not taking the pictures half the time, even crashes and my droid it reboots on its own, I need this camera for work.

3. Sometimes I go to call someone, and the number will not actually dial for 2-5 minutes. It just sits there like I never touched it, than 'Boom', it starts ringing. (hope this doesn't happen when I need 911):blink:

4. Text messages will lag and jam up the same way.

5. Sometimes while I am in the process of using it in any way, and I am recieving a text at the same time, it freezes or crashes to reboot.

6. She is getting hotter than a ever before sometimes when in use.

7. and now it automatically downloads updates on apps all the sudden???? I don't want or need every dang update on every little thing. :mad:

8. I have not done a factory reset, however I have cleared the cache on the web and the apps.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, my fear is that it is just her age and I need to look for a new phone.

OP
L

landdesigner

Reaction score
And it goes back to default wallpaper alot, guess I am running out of RAM on that one???

JoeHockey

Reaction score
Wow at least I'm not the only one having all these issues. I am actually in the process of taking my son's old D3, wiping absolutely everything off of it and starting over from scratch. If this process works on his and gets it to an acceptable level of performance then I'm going to repeat it on mine. Reloading everything one app at a time is a major pain but at this point the phone seems to be either so "gummed up" with junk/old apps/etc or the hardware is failing.

On a side note, on my particular phone I have NEVER successfully run a custom rom. Roms that others say run great for them have always had major problems on my phone and I've had to revert to stock which isn't all that great either. This has always made me wonder if my phone was a bit flaky to begin with.

I'll post back and let everyone know if my complete wipe of the phone gets good results.

Gipsyyy

Reaction score
I purchased this Droid 3 in July of 2011, I have always loved it. However, it is really laggin now and having fits on many levels:

2. The camera is crashing all the time, has a terrible time loading, crashing when it tries to focus, ends up not taking the pictures half the time, even crashes and my droid it reboots on its own, I need this camera for work.

3. Sometimes I go to call someone, and the number will not actually dial for 2-5 minutes. It just sits there like I never touched it, than 'Boom', it starts ringing. (hope this doesn't happen when I need 911):blink:

5. Sometimes while I am in the process of using it in any way, and I am recieving a text at the same time, it freezes or crashes to reboot.

7. and now it automatically downloads updates on apps all the sudden???? I don't want or need every dang update on every little thing. :mad:

8. I have not done a factory reset, however I have cleared the cache on the web and the apps.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated, my fear is that it is just her age and I need to look for a new phone.

Mine too , if u find something to do , please reply here.. thanx alot.

JoeHockey

Reaction score
Ok, time to report on step one of my attempted fix for my horribly lagging D3. I took my sons old D3 and wiped everything off of it. Factory reset, wipe internal sd, formatted external sd. I had tried just a factory reset before which didn't really fix my problems so this was the first time I formatted everything. After that, instead of restoring my apps from backup (which I have always done in the past) I downloaded fresh copies of just the apps I wanted. So far the "new" phone is much snappier than my old D3 was. This week I will repeat the same process on my old phone and see if I get the same results. So far though it seems that my phone was just in need of a huge "cleaning". I will post again once I have tested on my phone.

jonamurphy

Reaction score

Wait.. mine has acted this way since day 1. I thought these were Verizon "features" :icon_ devil: Seriously, though, mine has done everything on your list except #7 for the last year or so. Makes me want to switch to an iPhone when my contract is up. I love the features and the ability to tweak the phone, but I need to be reliable more than anything.

doogald

Reaction score

Go to the Play Store app (or Market, whatever it's called on your phone, though it should be Play Store.) Press menu->settings->Auto-update apps. Select "Do not auto-update apps".

Gipsyyy

Reaction score
Go to the Play Store app (or Market, whatever it's called on your phone, though it should be Play Store.) Press menu->settings->Auto-update apps. Select "Do not auto-update apps".

And for the other problems ? any solutions?

outside factory reset, doesn't works.

doogald

Reaction score
And for the other problems ? any solutions?

outside factory reset, doesn't works.

Well, I don't have those problems all that often. But, I'll comment inline:

What do you mean by "too quickly"? How fast does it drain? Battery drain can happen for a number of reasons: bad signal strength is one thing that drains the phone fast. Apps, of course, can drain the battery if they are badly designed. One app that you can try is install the app Better Battery Monitor Widget Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.bmw.pro and let it run for a period of time and see what it reports as having used up the battery.

Are you up to the latest over-the-air update? If you go to settings->about phone, what is the system version number? I thought that Motorola updated the camera app after it was initially released to fix a lot of problems.

As for that, I use a third party camera app called ProCapture which is great, plus allows you to set it to use the volume keys as a shutter button. I never have problems with that app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.neaststudios.procapture

I never have a delay like this *except* when I am in a poor signal area, or when the phone is doing something like switch out of a WiFi access point and connecting to mobile data. But it's never 2-5 minutes - more like 20 to 30 seconds at the worst.

Try restarting the phone every couple of nights when you get ready for bed. Shut it down, restart it. Does this still happen?

Again, I have only seen that when I am in a poor signal area.

This doesn't happen to me. I get a spontaneous reboot maybe once every two months (it just happened to me last week for the first time in a long time.) Again, does the phone perform better if you restart every couple of days?

Bad signal? Perhaps you have a bad app? See what I wrote above about monitoring app usage.

If it's too complicated to find the one bad app, I'd suggest listing all of your installed apps. Rank them in importance to you from most to least. Then, uninstall them all, and install them 5 at a time, most important first, and run for a day or two that way. When you start noticing lag or battery drain or battery heat, then maybe one of the last 5 you installed is causing the problem?

The Droid 3 will be two years old next month. Surely it might be time to consider an upgrade.

OP
L

landdesigner

Reaction score
Text messaging drains the battery twice as fast as anyting else...
2. Camera.... I may try that app after I fix the rest of these lag problems... But I really think the interenal camera is running out of RAM right now.

3. Delayed dial..... That happens no matter where I am at, I can sit here at work and have that not happen all day, then all the sudden it happens with a phone call, doesn't matter if I am calling a cell phone, different/same carrier or a landline.

4. the App updates.... THANK YOU!! I will try that asap...

5. I have to restart my phone everyday if not a couple times a day. just did it sitting here this morning.

6. Battery heat.... THANK YOU! I will try that too.

THank You Doogald

Gypsy... GLad it worked good so far, I will probably try a reset here soon, just nervous about it, trying to get everything transferred to larger SD card before I do.

I really appreciate this forum..... Thanks to all.

doogald

Reaction score
And it goes back to default wallpaper alot, guess I am running out of RAM on that one???

I forgot to comment on this one. This happens to me occasionally on the default launcher - more often, I think, when I have more widgets, or when I snap open the keyboard to switch to landscape then closed to go back to portrait. I suspect that there is a memory leak in the launcher.

Anyway, I have tried several replacement launchers, particularly ADW, ADW EX, and Go Launcher Pro, and all of them will hold the wallpaper stably. If you like the Moto widgets (such as the people widget that is on the default center home screen) then you'll miss that on a replacement launcher, but the three that I mentioned are very good. Holo Launcher is also quite good and looks a lot like the ICS launcher.

Gipsyyy

Reaction score
momentary i have tried a data wipe, wipe cache. now i have to see how it does its job ..

if not, i will try what doogald told..

thanx anyway :* !

JoeHockey

Reaction score
Just an update on my very slow attempt to bring my D3 back to life. I've been running on a backup phone for a week now and it's better but not great. I did a factory reset on my primary phone but found that even this didn't correct my non-functional camcorder. I took it one step further and SBF'd the phone back to original stock (wiping everything in the process). This has fixed the camcorder problem and I am now in the process of loading my apps back on and reloading all my music etc. I'll post the final result of this experiment in the next few days when I finish reloading everything.

JoeHockey

Reaction score
Just an update on my very slow attempt to bring my D3 back to life. I've been running on a backup phone for a week now and it's better but not great. I did a factory reset on my primary phone but found that even this didn't correct my non-functional camcorder. I took it one step further and SBF'd the phone back to original stock (wiping everything in the process). This has fixed the camcorder problem and I am now in the process of loading my apps back on and reloading all my music etc. I'll post the final result of this experiment in the next few days when I finish reloading everything.

UPDATE: So far phone is running well. Camera/Camcorder now working, speed seems good, not a speed demon but definitely improved. Still need a few more phone calls to determine if the call starting 2 minutes after I tried to place it problem is solved but so far so good.

JoeHockey

Reaction score
UPDATE: So far phone is running well. Camera/Camcorder now working, speed seems good, not a speed demon but definitely improved. Still need a few more phone calls to determine if the call starting 2 minutes after I tried to place it problem is solved but so far so good.

UPDATE 2: Heat seems to be improved too. I haven't checked actual temps but running the same apps I always run it seems cooler in my hand.

So here are the steps I took:

1) SBF back to pure stock
2) re-root
3) re-download titanium backup and froze all the vzw bloatware (did this before reloading any apps)
4) re-downloaded my apps (did not restore from backup, did clean install)

One of the other benefits of this approach has been I've gotten rid of a lot of apps I kept on the phone "because I thought I might use them". I figure this way if I realize I need an app I used to have installed I can re-install it as needed which has cleared a lot of space on my phone. Next step will be to see which apps I can move to the external sd card to free up even more space. I also had some widgets that I used previously so I'm going to add those back one at a time to see which ones (if any) were killing my battery. Also going to set rom toolbox back up to see if the cpu speed controlling that I was trying before actually gets me any benefit. If battery life is fine without it I'm not going to bother as I'd rather have a snappy response time.