Those continual annoying notifications

NashvilleKit

Reaction score
To many of you experienced Android users, you'll yawn at this thread. But to many newbies like myself, who I've heard complaining on this and other forums about their new Note 3 and its continual and unidentified notifications, this may be a help. Basically the problem is, in the General Settings, there is a setting for the Call Ringtone and one for the notifications. So, I and a lot of other noobs, select a call ringtone and one for when they get a text message. The second however will make itself known every time some app gets updated, whenever you get an email (I get 50 or so a day!), and a zillion other cases, many of which are completely unidentified. So ...

Here's what I've done to eliminate these annoying continual notification sounds. You go to the Messages App, tap the phone's Menu button, tap the More tab and "Select Ringtone" is the 2nd line item from the top. Tap that and select the sound you want when you get a Text Message and tap OK.

Then go to General Settings on the main Home Screen Menu, tap Sound, tap Default Notification Sound, and choose the 1st one, which is "Silent." Now, you'll hear what you chose in the Message app when you get a Text, but you won't hear any of the other zillion notifications.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Hey Nashville! Just wanted to mention another alternative is to keep the default notification where it's at and go into the g-mail settings, tap on your email, and there will be a few options for notifications, vibrate etc etc.

Haven't tried this on the note, but every time I have it's overridden the default tone and will still just give the one notification. This MIGHT not be a solution to quite what you were asking, but thought I'd mention it anyways!

OP
NashvilleKit

NashvilleKit

Reaction score
Hey Nashville! Just wanted to mention another alternative is to keep the default notification where it's at and go into the g-mail settings, tap on your email, and there will be a few options for notifications, vibrate etc etc.

Haven't tried this on the note, but every time I have it's overridden the default tone and will still just give the one notification. This MIGHT not be a solution to quite what you were asking, but thought I'd mention it anyways!

Well, I didn't want to go into that level of detail. Yes, I did find out how to stop the notifications on emails, but I was still getting notification sounds for all sorts of other things -- most completely unidentified. I don't know whether it's the latest OS rev (Jellybean) or a peculiarity of my new Note 3, but it was driving me crazy (and anyone I was with). So this fixes that (I think).

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Well if it was stuff you weren't needing to get notifications for, you can also go into settings - application manager - and then find the app giving notifications. There will be a little check box saying "show notifications." Unchecking this will prevent any notifications from that app.

Great feature, I must say....

big al

Reaction score
They can get rid of the hey your battery is full and I dont care if I just woke you up at 3am notification.
Also the notification when inserted into the dock to have it run a program. i just want it to run normally stop nagging me.