Trade in Questions

jhxc

Reaction score
I bought my turbo in store on 10/30 and was told the phone for the trade had to be the phone you were upgrading from. Im upgrading on a tiered line, transferring the phone to an unlimited line and would like to keep the s4 that is on that line. I left and said I'll just call customer service. Customer service took it one step further and said it had to be active for 3 months! I'm reading peoples posts saying they traded in phones they had laying around. Any advice? I'm not opposed to paying the 199 I did but if I can save 100 why not??

WhoDunIt

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
I have a shattered screen on my current phone. I asked if I could trade an older phone in for the edge plan offering. I was told at my local Verizon store that I would just need to show some usage of the phone that I want to trade in. They said activate it for 1 day and then I could do the ecchange/ edge up. See if your local store will do the same. I'm sure they want to move the inventory.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
My take so far has been, buying outright the trade in has to be functional, edging up it has to be your current activated phone and functional. Quite possible not the last one you bought, activate an old phone to trade in. This loophole will be shut soon.

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I purchased my Turbo on a tiered line activated it and switched it to my unlimited line.
The trade in I used was a old original Droid that has not been active for years.
When I asked my rep if I could use the old phone she said certainly as long as it would power up with a good battery. She went on to say if I had other phones to trade in to be sure and use the old phone for the fixed price trade as they would give me a better trade in on the new phones that are not fixed price trade in.
So I don't think it matters which smart phone as long as it works and screen is not broken.

Keep in mind I was working with the business rep and I think retail reps don't know much they just tell you what is in their best interest to make the sale.
Just my opinion on the reps no facts there.

1coopgt

Reaction score
I traded in my old Razr Maxx . Haven't been using it for 7 months . I wasn't about to trade in the S5 for only 100 dollars .

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I purchased my Turbo on a tiered line activated it and switched it to my unlimited line.
The trade in I used was a old original Droid that has not been active for years.
When I asked my rep if I could use the old phone she said certainly as long as it would power up with a good battery. She went on to say if I had other phones to trade in to be sure and use the old phone for the fixed price trade as they would give me a better trade in on the new phones that are not fixed price trade in.
So I don't think it matters which smart phone as long as it works and screen is not broken.

Keep in mind I was working with the business rep and I think retail reps don't know much they just tell you what is in their best interest to make the sale.
Just my opinion on the reps no facts there.

This is 100% correct. The phone you trade in DOES NOT have to be the last one activated on that line. I just did an Edge up with my Droid MAXX going to the Motorola Turbo, and the phone I am trading in is a Droid 2. In fact, my upgrade is being done over the phone and they're shipping the Turbo to me. In 3-5 days I will be getting a text message and email about the $100 trade-in program, and I am instructed to go to a website, answer questions about the condition of the phone (not cracked, no water damage, works and powers up), and then they will issue a RMA number. I ship the phone in and then I will receive a $100 gift card which can be used to pay my bill or for any other purpose I choose. This is straight from Level 2 support at Verizon, and he notated my account to confirm that this offer is valid for over the phone Edge upgrades
as well.

Last year when I did this I also used a Droid Pro that I had laying around (I still have 2 D2s a D2G, as well as an HTC EVO 3D - which I'll be keeping for 3D photo/videography). They took the Droid Pro and asked no questions, got my $100 discount card and applied it to my bill.