Turbo Camera Thread (Pics)

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Pics look great.
Is the focusing slow and blurry if not perfectly steady?
No. focus is almost immediate and (my pics) were just free-hand (unsupported).
I'll try and think up some different "pic" scenarios while not scaring anybody.

I will add (almost forgot) the other day I took that picture of the lake by my house and I got a message Alert, the picture had met certain criteria and the phone sent it to an internal app called like "Fantastic photos" where it embellish's the pic. I'll post it and you can compare to the non-embellished.

It did this "automatically".... You still retain the original and it saves this one in a different folder.

Last edited:

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
sunset small.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I gotta say that I'm quite happy with the pics, overall. Again, I'm not going to be taking pics to be entered into any contest or to be published in National Geographic, however these are certainly even clear and accurate in color enough to make it into one. The ones CaptainSS posted of the water, dogs, knives and watch are all quite impressive IMHO. Perhaps the one that is most impressive to me is the water, second would be the knives and the dust. The pens and pads shot is a bit underexposed... Didn't use flash there, but perhaps could have benefited from spot focus and lighting using your finger.

The one Garemlin posted of the laser pointer/pen/portable pinpoint oil thingy (not sure what it is, but seems like a combination of all three), is also highly detailed and color-accurate. The tree is looking really nice as well. The one of your cat, though...face out of focus a bit. It seems it focused on the front edge of the towel in the basket instead, so just a bit short of the cat's face.

Websterzx10r1's Santa pic is genuinely impressive as well. The height of that pic (and the tree) are both a big surprise. This pic could certainly have used some additional lighting as it's also a bit underexposed, however the colors and clarity still look good.

The one 94lt1 posted of the night shot is also impressive. Hey, is that light from a spotlight or is that the dual flash????

What we all have to remember here is that these shots while we're looking at them on the pc, are considerably lower resolution than the originals, and since they're compressed as JPGs, there is a good bit of data tossed for the purpose of file size. I'd really like to see the originals. Also, are we all shooting at the full 21MP or are some at the 16MP 4/3 (CaptainSS, 94lt1)??

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Great pics guys! That said, I see a general theme in every single picture posted and that is they have a "darkness" to them, compared to other flagship smartphone cameras out today. Even the ones in bright sunlight, aren't very bright. So for that reason, I'm not a huge fan. But....It's good to see that Moto IS finally making progress in this department. They've still got a ways to go though.
Plus the fact that's you're stuck with 21MP (or 16 in 4x3 mode) is a disappointment in my book.
Just my 2 cents.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I would agree to a certain extent, that they are all either slightly or moderately underexposed, or so would appear. I believe that a software update to do a better job of post production would resolve that. As an alternative you can just increase the F-stop a notch or two, or use the finger pointer to get a better average brightness part of the subject and increase (or decrease if need be), the exposure level.

In the case of the scenery, the exposure seems to suffer from stopping down the aperature to adjust for bright light. in my second shot that is most prevalent. I was of course in the car and driving when taking those shots so I couldn't actually address that. They could have easily been rectified by again using the finger to adjust by targeting a slightly darker area and the image will brighten accordingly.

One thing you do need to watch out for when using the spot metering is that it will also be the focal point, so don't choose a spot that is either significantly closer or farther away than the subject or you will suffer focus on the main subject, unless the depth of field is deep (bright light, tiny aperature).

obxsalvo's shot looks dark because the greater portion of the image is the sky and the center (and just to the right) are the brightest parts, so the camera reduced the aperature to prevent overexposing those areas. At the risk of slight overexposure you could either increase the aperature before shooting, again as above use the spot (finger tip tap at the tops of the houses), metering or simply turn up the brightness in an image editor after the fact.

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
The one Garemlin posted of the laser pointer/pen/portable pinpoint oil thingy (not sure what it is, but seems like a combination of all three), is also highly detailed and color-accurate. The tree is looking really nice as well. The one of your cat, though...face out of focus a bit. It seems it focused on the front edge of the towel in the basket instead, so just a bit short of the cat's face.

LOL That is a Provari in the first pic. It is a personal vaporizer. And I did notice that my cat pic was a little out of focus in the face. That is where the issues come in. I used the metering on his face as to not lose main focus. Apparently it did what it wanted to do.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
This one is at the same time + or - a min. but not looking into the brightness of the sunset but looking off to the east with the light to your back

Attachments

• sunset1_large.jpg
    sunset1_large.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 244

wardo

Reaction score
Can someone post pics showing the difference between the two size settings?

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
First Pic is 15.5 MP/WS and my MaxxHD Is NOT sitting out in the Pic.
Second Pic is 21MP and my old Droid IS sitting out, Can you Find It ?
Standing in identically the same spot both pics.

wardo

Reaction score
Can't find anything
Lol
So there is a 15.5 wide screen?

OP
CaptainSS

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Can't find anything
Lol
So there is a 15.5 wide screen?
Yes. The two(2) settings as mentioned.

The "Where's Waldo" was a Bonus for those competetive types :)