[Tutorial]How To Convert Videos For The Droid X

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
So I have been looking around about converting videos for the Droid X and have not found any really solid info so I am making this post to clear up some confusion about it and show how it is done and what is best way to do it. I will be using all open source software so it is available to everyone and you can stay away from crappy shareware/freeware and not have watermarks on the final video. All that aside let's get started!

Your going to need HandBrake, this is a VERY powerful tool to use and has many features.

http://www.opendrive.com/files/34490795_opTUU_5cce/HandBrake-0.9.5-Win_GUI.exe

Now once it is installed fire it up and your screen will look like this

Select your source video by selecting source and "Video", If you have many files click "Folder" when this is done it will apear as

Where it says "Anamorphic" Change it to "None" So you can edit the resolution

Now set the size to 854 x 480, This is the Droid x screen size and the videos will look crisp and fit to the screen without stretching. You may have to deselect "Keep aspect ratio"

Now go to the "Video" tab and enable "Average Bitrate" and set it to 1500

Now go to the "Audio" tab and make your settings like mine

The last step is to name it, where it says "Destination" hit "Browse" and make a name like this or anything

And FINALLY! the last step, Hit "Convert" and when the conversion is done put the file on your SD card. Go to Files on your phone, find where you put it and you can open it natively with the android stock video player. NOTE: I have a six core cpu so I can convert 1080p videos in under 20 minutes, But if you have a single core like a atom processor dont attempt to convert blu ray because your pc will probally go to a stand still and take forever to convert.

I made this tutorial and you can use it elseware just give me credit please. I hope this helps someone, And hopefully this can get a Sticky :D

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
I threw in a sample video with these settings to see how it works on your device before you convert. Download and unzip to SD card, It looks perfect on my phone dancedroid

Last edited:
OP
WilfulHippo

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
This help anyone? Can I get some feedback?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

jasonD

Reaction score
Im not able to change my ratios to 854x480. It doesnt give me the option or the ability to do so. If im copying straight from a dvd it goes to 720 and if its from a previous copied movie it keeps it at 0. I havent had problems with video quality on copying for the droid x but i have problems getting the audio to sync up. Im trying your method now mi.us the screen size to see if that works. I will report back.

jasonD

Reaction score
So the video looks good on the phone but still does not have audio sync. What should i do?

OP
WilfulHippo

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
Try to lower your bit rate to128 which is low if it plays greaten it until it will not 320 is good for mp3 because it is the point where it is good any greater with a so compressed codec is pointless unless you use a lossless one but some times I use 420 just for kicks. (-; reply with results

jasonD

Reaction score
So i moved my bitrate down to 128 and that seems to work fine. However how are you getting your screen size to those dimensions? Mine will only go to the 720 setting which wont fill the screen.

OP
WilfulHippo

WilfulHippo

Reaction score
Do you mean your settings on handbrake? I'm not on my PC now but I can give you a general idea. I think video settings and change where it says something like strict or anamorphic to none and you can change your resolution. Report back with results please.