Unlimited data on Verizon going away by the end of the year!

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
I hope they didn't try to pull a fast one on you. I just activated a new line recently also, and the default option is the 2GB per month plan for $29.99. If they do let you keep your unlimited data then you might be one of the lucky ones. Just a suggestion, but you might want to check your Verizon account on-line in a day or so and see what the data plan is for the new line. if you were using 25GB a month and they put you on a 2GB plan, you probably don't want to find out once the next bill comes on you end up going over your limit.

The new line activated will be 2 GB. His unlimited will remain because he is not changing that line, just adding one.

Reaction score
Tired of all the rumors regarding this. This has been going on for the last 2 years. People post this stuff and get everyone all hyped up for nothing. Like one member said, you need proof. Stop the assumptions.

Sent from my Synergized S3 using Tapatalk 2

Can threads like this just get locked immediately?

qlitchford

Reaction score
Sorry for necromancing this thread, but I just got off the phone with Verizon with regards to an issue with my Rezound's haptic feedback.

They offered me an early upgrade since my warranty would be useless. (Good use of money...) I asked if the upgrade would axe my unlimited data plan, knowing it would. The rep confirmed. I then said, "Well, I can still get grandfathered in if I buy the phone outright, correct?"

The rep responds, "Everyone will be losing unlimited data on September 26th...."

We were joking around before I was put on hold and she did her "investigating" of my replacement options. I don't know if she let that slip and I really didn't think about it much until I was off the phone with her. I did call about my current phone dying, not about unlimited data plans, after all.

Take it for what it's worth. If it is true, I'm using it to get out of my contract early. My wife and I have both had enough of our Rezounds and at this point, Verizon.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry for necromancing this thread, but I just got off the phone with Verizon with regards to an issue with my Rezound's haptic feedback.

They offered me an early upgrade since my warranty would be useless. (Good use of money...) I asked if the upgrade would axe my unlimited data plan, knowing it would. The rep confirmed. I then said, "Well, I can still get grandfathered in if I buy the phone outright, correct?"

The rep responds, "Everyone will be losing unlimited data on September 26th...."

We were joking around before I was put on hold and she did her "investigating" of my replacement options. I don't know if she let that slip and I really didn't think about it much until I was off the phone with her. I did call about my current phone dying, not about unlimited data plans, after all.

Take it for what it's worth. If it is true, I'm using it to get out of my contract early. My wife and I have both had enough of our Rezounds and at this point, Verizon.
If you're in contract they will have to wait until the phone line renews. They know better than allowing people to get out of jail free.

You know, Sprint is unlimited data. Has that brought them a ton of new customers....NO, in fact they lost several million subscribers iin the last quarter. I actually looked into getting Sprint before I upgraded last year. With VZW in my building at work, I at least get service. With Sprint there was absolutely no signal at all. I decided for my needs it was best to stay on the carrier with the best coverage and not go cheaper or unlimited. What good is unlimited when I can't get service? T-M is even worse in this area.

droidrazrmaxx

Reaction score
If I lose my unlimited I'm switching to GE and their unlimited plan on my old citizens band radio. Breaker 19!

qlitchford

Reaction score
Wow. You guys are really heated over this.

Three months ago I used 6 GB of data. I typically use a bit over 2 GB. I stream music with Subsonic (& Dsub on the phone) from my home and there is no Wi-FI in my office building. I pay, with discount, about $26 a month for unlimited data. I've never been noticeably throttled and have 4G speeds with the Speedtest app when I do check.

I'm not a heavy user, but I'll end up paying significantly more a month for less service. I live in a large metropolitan area and don't travel much, so I thankfully have choices. When I lived in a smaller city and traveled across 460 in Virginia, there was only one choice: Alltell. I don't know where I'll go from Verizon, but I'll probably go with a GSM phone with the widest compatibility and hop around MVNOs until I find a network I like.

I just wanted to pass along the information. Service reps aren't always right, and the likelihood of an "easy out" on the contract is unlikely in itself.

Time will tell.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
My 2 cents, my official contract does not end til Nov 12, Verizon has to honor it til then, unlimited didn't went til 1st quarter at best of 2013. The sept 26 time line can't be correct. Side bar; IT WILL END.

If it's not HD it might as well be a newspaper.

Reaction score
Service reps aren't always right.

Time will tell.

This couldn't be more true. I can't even count the number of times I've heard different things from different reps moments apart. That said, I'm anxious to see how this plays out. My contract is up on September 9th so maybe it's time to think about jumping ship.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I'm going out on a limb to suggest that a Verizon "rep" has never been right. About anything. Ever.

rcblate

Reaction score
So, I was one of the people that professed Verizon would have to pry unlimited data out of my cold dead hands. Then I saw how much money I could save changing to a shared plan + my spouse's corporate discount. Upon review of my usage (me lte wife iPhone 4s) we rarely used more than 6 GB/month. Even if we paid for 10/GB/ month, our bill was still going to be cheaper w/o the discount. Just made financial sense for us.