Using SD-ext to extend the internal SD

bassman1547

Reaction score
Is the a way to use the SD-ext for my apps etc, in such a way as to be functional for more than JUST Storage? In other words, have apps install on my sd-ext, then be available to use on my Bionic?

HavoC

Reaction score
Is the a way to use the SD-ext for my apps etc, in such a way as to be functional for more than JUST Storage? In other words, have apps install on my sd-ext, then be available to use on my Bionic?

if you go into settings then apps, you can move some to the SD card (sdcard-ext). Depending on what ROM/Android version your phone is on (Gingerbread/ICS) the interface may look a little different, but by tapping on each app you should get to a screen that lets you force stop, uninstall, clear cache, etc. for that app. This screen will also have an option to move to sdcard (sdcard-ext) if the app supports it.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

Tonik

Reaction score
Not reliably. You will have issues with missing icons and non-working apps from time to time. What happens is the home screen loads before the ext. SD card mounts...so it can't see you apps as it builds the home screen. So SD ext is for storage, files and music and so on. It appears this is the way Moto intended it to be and it looks like they are going to rename the ext SD storage in an upcoming patch to try and avoid the confusion.

HavoC

Reaction score
^^^^^

This is also true, so if you do decide to try moving some apps, just be ready for some potential problems. I forgot to mention it in my post, good info Tonik.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you go into settings then apps, you can move some to the SD card (sdcard-ext). Depending on what ROM/Android version your phone is on (Gingerbread/ICS) the interface may look a little different, but by tapping on each app you should get to a screen that lets you force stop, uninstall, clear cache, etc. for that app. This screen will also have an option to move to sdcard (sdcard-ext) if the app supports it.

Em, I think it moves the app to the 8 GB part of the internal SD card, not the SD-EXT, for the reasons Tonik said.

HavoC

Reaction score
Em, I think it moves the app to the 8 GB part of the internal SD card, not the SD-EXT, for the reasons Tonik said.

You could be right, I don't know exactly how it works, just that it is definitely sketchy at best. Maybe Motorola expects us to not have our own SD cards since the phones don't always come with them anymore? Who knows lol.

Tonik

Reaction score
aaf709 said:

Yes, that is what it does. thanks for clarifying it. The subject is confusing enough without me skipping details.

OP
bassman1547

bassman1547

Reaction score
Yikes! It's not a good idea then. I have a 32gb sd on in my Bionic. It seems to be not as usable as I thought. Oh Well. Maybe someone will come up with a fix. Thanks Ya'll.
BTW, I new to this forum, but haunt Droid Forums, My Droid World, Etc..
Bionic , Rooted, Stock, except for some frozen bloat and a few tweaks. ADW EX. Using .902. My first Droid was the OG. Have owned my Bioinc since last August. Running good.

Tonik

Reaction score
Keep in mind you have close to four gigs for apps. So you should be ok.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Bionic (at least when it first came out) has two 16 GB SD memory cards. One is a fixed Internal (called SD on apps like Astro) and the other is a removable External (called SD-EXT). The internal card is partitioned; 4 GB for the OS and is untouchable, another 4 GB for apps (compared to the OG Droid with a mere 256 MB that's immense) with the remaining 8 GB for what is called the "Media area." When you go to Menu>Manage Apps and select an app, you may see the option to move it there. Some apps already use that to store the data. For example, Dungeon Hunter II may be only a 22 MB app, but in order for it to run you have to download an additional 485 MB, which is put in the "Media area." The External 16 GB card is upgradable to 32 MB, although some have gotten a 64 MB card to work.

There's several memory apps, but a nice free one is Disk Usage. It shows you what's taking up room in all 3 areas, your apps, Media area and SD-EXT. Another is APP 2 SD (available in free or paid versions), which checks each app as you install (or update) to see if it can be moved. It also shows all your apps and has an "X" if it can't be moved.

kamisan

Reaction score
try link2sd if you partition your ext sd card with a 500mb or so partition it will move apps cache etc there.. icons and links all work.. I keep non vital and far memory hog apps there.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
try link2sd if you partition your ext sd card with a 500mb or so partition it will move apps cache etc there.. icons and links all work.. I keep non vital and far memory hog apps there.

You do have to be rooted in order to use it. Just wanted to mention that. If the OP is rooted, cool.

AndyMcDroid

Reaction score
The are inherent problems with having this "media area" AND a separate removable memory card - only one of these can be mounted as 'sdcard', and most third party apps will be unaware of the other. There is even confusion within the stock apps; the Files app refers to the media area (mounted as 'sdcard') as "Internal phone storage", and refers to the removable memory card (mounted as 'sdcard--ext') as "SD Card".

My son has a problem on his Droid X2, where games download excessive additional data, but they only know to store it on the 4GB "media area". Consequently, his removable memory card is virtually empty, yet he can't install more similar apps because there's "no room".

There's no perfect solution to this, given the physical design of the device, but Motorola created this problem with their design decision, and needs to come up with some reasonable ways to minimize the impact on the usability of the device.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

jcwilliams

Reaction score
kamisan said:

+1 for link2sd
Loved that app when I had my og Droid