Verizon Officially Launches New Motorola Droid Mini, Droid Ultra & Droid Maxx

DoggerDog

Reaction score
Do any of these have a mini-HDMI out port, like the current RAZR? I don't see it in the spec sheet. I use mine all. the. time.

DoggerDog

Reaction score
Who cares what they claim? They perform how they perform and that's it.

This is SO true. It goes the same with network speeds, gas mileage, the height/weight of virtually every player in the NBA, etc. etc.

DoggerDog

Reaction score
no sd slot is a dealbreaker for me as well.
im out on this one
i have the original razr maxx and before that i had a droid x.
the one thing about the 2 motorola phones that i cant stand is when i hold the phone between my shoulder and ear the person on the other end complains that they cant understand me.
idk if it was just the phones i got but i dont have that problem with my rezound or my girlfriends galaxy at all. so i was thinking maybe i wont get another motorola

All of my gripes too! My fiancee hates it when I put the phone to my shoulder; she constantly says "I can't hear you, you're all muffled." Drives me insane.

If the Samsung lineup had a mini-HDMI out port, I would go back. I had a Galaxy S2 a few years ago and that thing was the most solid, slim, fast, and reliable phone I've ever owned. My current RAZR HD is nice for the HDMI out port, but completely stinks when it comes to battery, and its processing power feels like it is waning to me.

Like you guys, I gotta have me the SD card. I listen to music through my phone during my commute each day, and since I'm on wi-fi at home and at work, I went with the 350 MB data plan to save money. The most I've ever had in one month is 100 MB usage. If I start streaming my music and everything, I'm hosed. I rely on the SD card heavily.

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I don't think the new droid's have a mini-hdmi port; none of the pictures show one. I liked it on my bionic, but my nexus doesn't have it and I haven't really missed it. I think they are trying to move to dlna so a cord is not necessary. I really only use it to show photos or for webtop on my bionic, which is a neat feature, but not really useful.

SmokeNMirrors

Reaction score
The new Droids definitely do not have HDMI ports. The question is do they support MHL/HDMI on the USB port? They're pushing Miracast to wirelessly connect to a TV. I would have hoped Chromecast would support Miracast but it doesn't. At least not yet.

DoggerDog

Reaction score
I don't think the new droid's have a mini-hdmi port; none of the pictures show one. I liked it on my bionic, but my nexus doesn't have it and I haven't really missed it. I think they are trying to move to dlna so a cord is not necessary. I really only use it to show photos or for webtop on my bionic, which is a neat feature, but not really useful.

Oh no, not DLNA! I suppose for the folks whose entire libraries of everything is all compressed and lossy formats, this is fine, but for the audiophile and/or videophile, who go with FLAC or rip movies from BRs without any downmixing or compression, DLNA doesn't support that, for the most part. Trust me, I've been tackling this for over a year, and then when I got my Razr HD, lossless stuff finally started working seemlessly (using J River as a home media server). I know 99% of the market adores its compressed lossy media, but DLNA transcoding for the lossless geeks out there is such a pain in the rear.... Oh well.

I'm wishing there was an Ubuntu phone out there somewhere.... ;)

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
I never actually used DLNA, but was refering to wirelessly transmitting data. It's nice to see they are working on updates for that technology.

DoggerDog

Reaction score
I never actually used DLNA, but was refering to wirelessly transmitting data. It's nice to see they are working on updates for that technology.

Yes that is nice to see. DLNA is a great thing if you've got a NAS or something. I prefer wired networking 10 to 1 because of buffering/speed issues over wi-fi. Plus something tells me that bombarding the human body with all this wi-fi stuff can't be good.... ;)

seamus

Reaction score
Specs are starting to get clarified now. From what I can see and according to Android Central, none of the new Droids has a SD card slot. I guess that scratches the Mini from the phones that I'm looking at.

WTH? REally? Don't they realize that's part of the reason we HATE apple crap? Idiots. I swear, there are some real fools running marketing over at google these days.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
and neither of the phones are waterproof. i'll wait for next best thing.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
So they can push cloud storage and customers use more data backing up data on cloud vs the memory card.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

This was the reason for getting rid of Unlimited Plans. It was fine to offer it and have people pay a premium when smart phones didn't use all that much. But now that people are using lots of bandwidth on mobile devices, the carriers realized that the cash cow wasn't minutes or texts, but data. So they get rid of Unlimited Plans to force plan costs up, and then they push on manufacturers to get rid of SD, to push people to using more data on higher priced tiered plans.

tayhan

Reaction score
fb74f_orig-guinness_brilliant.jpeg

These last few posts by you and thefuzz are spot on; damn funny too!

I'm pretty sure being "robbed" of the battery pull and expandable memory slot options will push buyers away. Still they are pretty cool phones but for a lot of us, those two options are necessities.

Keena

Reaction score
Google Now is already out on the Razr series. (Both the original and the HD.) I have a 16GB Razr, and running 4.1.2 stock. Unless someone lost their minds, I can guarantee that these new models will support Google Now.

So, if I get a Razr Maxx/HD, will I recieve the new functions like Touchless Control and Active Display in an update? Or are they only for the 3 new phones? (I'm a bit lost, sorry. ): )