Verizon Update SCH-I545 to NG6 Kenwood/Garmin Smartphone Link App Issue

JohnGarziglia

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I have an NG6 update issue with the “Garmin Smartphone Link” app on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4. The Smartphone Link app sends traffic, weather and travel related data via the Bluetooth connection to my Kenwood/Garmin DNX691HD automobile navigation receiver.

I had been successfully using the Garmin Smartphone Link app for several months until October 18, 2014 when the Verizon update_SCH-I545_NC5_to_NG6 was pushed to my Samsung Galaxy S4. On approximately October 18th, the Garmin Smartphone Link ceased sending data by Bluetooth to the automobile receiver.

I have spent hours with both Garmin and Kenwood tech support. The Bluetooth function on both the Samsung phone and Kenwood/Garmin DNX691HD receiver works flawlessly for all other apps. The Garmin Smartphone Link app says it is connected. The receiver shows all of the appropriate icons indicating a connection. Yet, as of several weeks ago, no data now comes through from the Smartphone Link to the automobile receiver.

Garmin pointed at Kenwood saying it was an issue with the firmware in the automobile navigation 8receiver. Kenwood says that it might be the Android update to the phone and that they “have had reports of this issue”. Yet, neither had any estimate for when or if a resolution might occur and the best that Kenwood was able to offer was to “try another phone”.

So, is this simply a bug in the phone’s Android update for this specific phone which will be fixed sooner or later, or is this Verizon trying to pick and choose which data goes from the phone through apps using Bluetooth to other devices?

Any thoughts on further troubleshooting or a work-around are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I highly doubt it's Verizon limiting what you do via Bluetooth, though I suppose it could be possible...

Who's the developer of the app? Have you contacted them?

If it worked before, it could just be that they need to tweak the app a bit & maybe sending them a log could shed some light on what's not working now that previously did.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
J

JohnGarziglia

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I highly doubt it's Verizon limiting what you do via Bluetooth, though I suppose it could be possible...

Who's the developer of the app? Have you contacted them?

If it worked before, it could just be that they need to tweak the app a bit & maybe sending them a log could shed some light on what's not working now that previously did.

Sent from my Note 4
The developer of the app is Garmin and I spent several hours and several calls with them troubleshooting and sending them logs. The app shows a connection through Bluetooth just fine, and the navigation receiver also shows a satisfactory Bluetoth connection. Garmin, after looking at all of the screenshots and the log I sent them told me it was a Kenwood issue with the navigation receiver. I then went through the same phone calls and sending of screenshots with Kenwood who told me it was an issue with the Android update to my phone. I sort of think it is possibly Garmin's issue but so far Garmin is pointing the finger at Kenwood, and Kenwood says it is the Android update.

The reason I suspected Verizon is their limitation on data "tethering" to their data connections with other devices by either USB or Bluetooth, thinking that maybe this Smartphone Link application was somehow data tethering (I suppose it is but not in the sense of using the phone as a data connection for a laptop or soemthing like that which Verizon restricts).

Yes, the frustrating thing is that it worked fine until from mid-May (when I purchased the navigation receiver) to mid-October and then it just stopped showing any transmission of data through Bluetooth. The only change I can identify to the phone or to the navigation receiver is the mid-October Verizon Samsug update to the NG6 version of Android. Nothing else changed. Thus my frustration.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'm willing to bet you've already done this, especially after hours spent with customer service from both companies, but did you uninstall and reinstall the app? Did you also forget the bluetooth connection to the unit itself? Then connect it as if it were new.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sometimes apps don't function after updates, but that's usually when is a bigger update than this one was. It's still possible though.

To me, I'd say it's more likely Garmin's issue & something needs to fixed in the app.

I can't see how Verizon would think of it as tethering though. As you said, it's not the same.

I know that doesn't help your issue, but just an outsider's take on it.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
J

JohnGarziglia

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
I'm willing to bet you've already done this, especially after hours spent with customer service from both companies, but did you uninstall and reinstall the app? Did you also forget the bluetooth connection to the unit itself?
Yes, I did uninstall and re-stall the app, twice I think, and I also un-paired/deleted the Bluetooth connections on both the phone and the navigation receiver, and re-paired them.

All Bluetooth functions between the phone and the receiver work great including handsfree and iHeart radio with screen controls on the navigation receiver. The navigation receiver itself in the Garmin section shows "connection" to the "Smartphone Link" and the Smartphone Link app shows connection to the navigation receiver.

I really appreciate any suggestions I can get on this. I am attaching the email with screenshots and info that I sent to Garmin Mobile tech support (the developers of the app).

While this might seem like a small item, it is a big reason I bought this auto navigation unit for this Smartphone Link feature and it is very frustrustrating to have it stop working after working for several months. Thank you.

Attachments

• Email to Garmin Mobile Support.pdf
    328.7 KB · Views: 461

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Seems like it could be on Garmin's end then.

The last thing you could do is a factory reset, as it was an update, but not sure if it'll help or not.

OP
J

JohnGarziglia

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Seems like it could be on Garmin's end then.

The last thing you could do is a factory reset, as it was an update, but not sure if it'll help or not.
On doing a "factory reset" which I have seen as a suggestion for issues with the NG6 upgrade, can I ask a question? A factory reset is the one thing I have not tried because I was concerned I might screw up other things on my phone.

I am assuming that I go to "Settings>Accounts>Backup and reset>Factory data reset?

My question: If I have "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore" set on that same screen, then once the factory reset is done, can I then restore all of my data and settings, or am I basically starting with a new phone? Also, if you might know, the phone has MobileIron on it from my firm to encrypt data -- will that survive or am I facing a situation where that also has to be reinstalled to use enterprise email and contacts?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
A factory data reset (FDR) is basically returning your phone to the manufacturer's state, so a new phone. Your apps and contacts are synced to your Google account, as well as your photos. However, the settings in each app will be deleted. I'm not familiar with the process of "Automatic restore" through Samsung's UI, don't even recall seeing it.

I'm not sure about MobileIron as that seems to be a work installed program. I have it on my work iPad, but I just leave it alone. I imagine your IT Dept would have to reinstall it for you.

OP
J

JohnGarziglia

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Thank you. That is very helpful to know.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Before doing and FDR though, make sure to backup your contacts and everything. I can't tell you how many times people have forgotten to sync their contacts and everything before doing an FDR. Yes, Google does it automatically periodically, but better to do so manually before beginning the process.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree with the FDR suggestion. I've seen this very issue reported by users after an OS update on the S3, S4 & S5. The thing is this is often a random issue that only happens with certain Bluetooth connections. I'm willing to bet an FDR resolves this for you. Good luck & let us know how you make out.

S5 tap'n

OP
J

JohnGarziglia

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
A factory data reset (FDR) is basically returning your phone to the manufacturer's state, so a new phone. Your apps and contacts are synced to your Google account, as well as your photos. However, the settings in each app will be deleted. I'm not familiar with the process of "Automatic restore" through Samsung's UI, don't even recall seeing it.

I'm not sure about MobileIron as that seems to be a work installed program. I have it on my work iPad, but I just leave it alone. I imagine your IT Dept would have to reinstall it for you.
Thanks! I will give the FDR a try and report back.

OP
J

JohnGarziglia

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Thanks! I will give the FDR a try and report back.
I tried a factory reset to my Samsung Galaxy S4 this week. Verizon has something called a "Software Repair Assistant" which appeared to be a combination of a FDR and backup which I used: http://www.verizonwireless.com/dam/support/pdf/system_update/galaxys4-srt-06-02-14.pdf.

It indeed completely wiped the phone of all apps and settings, The backup then re-installed most apps. I had to start from scratch on re-entering app settings and log-ins. Also, MobileIron was not re-installed and I had to hand the phone over to my firm's techs for a day for them to re-install MobileIron so my email would once again work.

The bad news is that there is no change whatsoever to the Garmin Smartphone Link-Kenwood DNX691HD connection issue. The phone and app both show a connection to the Kenwood. The Kenwood and the Garmin section of the Kenwood shows connection to the phone. But, no data goes through from the Garmin Smartphone Link app on the phone to the Garmin maps section of the receiver.

The Garmin Mobile Apps support tells me is that "[a]s soon as we receive a response to your problem you will be contacted". In my response to my question as to whether there is another way to provide traffic information to me without me buying another subscription (there is) is that "[w]e are currently in the process of researching your issue with our team, and until that process is completed we will have to hold off on an alternative traffic solution to the issue. Once we have a response from our engineers, you will be notified via email with instructions or information regarding the issue." I had bought the Kenwood receiver with the Garmin inside primarily for the traffic information which I have not had now for more than a month.

I am of the opinion that it was the Verizon Android update that was pushed to my Samsung Galaxy S4 in mid-October which is the issue, which means that it is Garmin's issue with their Smartphone Link app, as I am assuming that Garmin is not expecting Verizon to change its Android software to accommodate how Garmin built its Smartphone Link app. But that is just my speculation. Thank you for your suggestions on this issue.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Sorry it didn't fix your issue, but I totally agree on your assessment. They built the app and it's not working with the phone software, so it's on them to update their app imo.

Sent from my Note 4