Verizon vs. At&t

Squeaky369

Reaction score
Okay...

The title explains it all.

I have been with At&t for 5 years now. And I've listened to all the fighting and nonsense about how Verizon has better 3G coverage then At&t, and the sound quality is better, and the service overall is thousands and thousands of times better.

With the failure of the Motorola Backflip on At&t; I decided to give Verizon a try. So I signed up for service, got my wife and I the Droids. Rooted the phone and put the "Ultimate Droid" rom on the phone.

Three words explain my feelings about the Droid: "Best Phone Ever!"

However: Three words explain my feelings about Verizon's service: "Worst Service Ever!"

Let me explain. I had full 3G coverage in my house with At&t. With Verizon, I get nothing. Zero, zip. No service. And I live in Indianapolis, and not in some crappy suburb or anything. When I do have service (i.e.: Work, mall, driving around) it sounds like I am speaking through a tunnel, and its full of static (I haven't heard static on a cellphone since Nextel had analog signal.)

So; is it an issue with the phone, maybe I have a bad phone or something and it's just not picking up the service. Is it the ROM that's causing the issue? I don't think it's that though, cause before I rooted and flashed my wife's phone, she was having the same issues I was.

What is it? Verizon is suppose to be superior in every way possible, but after a week, I find myself using my LAN line in my house more and more because I can't stand the sound quality with Verizon.

Anyone have any insight here? If not, this is all going back, and I'll pay the extra couple hundred for a Nexus One...

warrior21

Reaction score
To me there is no comparison when it comes to service and I've used both At&t and Verizon. I'm not sure what area you are in but I never drop calls and get perfect reception no matter where I am especially in my house.

Mojo

Reaction score
I somehow do not tend to believe your story here.. I checked VZW's coverage map for Indianapolis. And their map shows great coverage in their broadband all areas of Indianapolis. And its surrounding areas.
indianapolis.jpg

So either 1) you live underground or 2) you live in a steal box. I am sorry.. I just don't see it. But hey I don't live there.. so what do I know. But Verizon maps are usually quite accurate.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only thing I've ever dropped is the phone and Verizon had nothing to do with that.:)

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I was with ATT for bout 7 years until the droid came out.

Then i realized how accepting I had become of bad cellular service. I thought it was customary and normal to have to try to connect a call 3 or 4 times. And that ramdom text messages wouldn't get received or sent. And that coverage would drop on any road trip.

Verizon solved all of these probs for me. I even get 3g service way up on my 20 acres in middle of nowhere

JCo352

Reaction score
Maybe dial *228 and update your towers, that might work.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
depending on your area. I have to admit I have not had a dropped call........scratch that. While my phone was working I have not had a dropped call with att and my iphone. Now as I started noticing hardware issues then I was unable to use the phone when ever it kept switching from 3g to edge.
As far as price Att is cheaper. Customer service I have to honestly say they are equal. They have both been helpful. ATT problem is they have no control over apple and the iphone and apple care customer service is what made me switch.
I have been on verizon since November and I have only had 1 dropped call.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Well being a former Cingular/AT&T customer for almost 11 years I dropped them and went Verizon. I was patient and waited for AT&T's first Android and what did I get? The Backflip. That same day I went to wirefly.com and signed a 2 year with Verizon and got a Droid. I had the Droid rooted within 7 minutes of unboxing and have never been happier. The service is leaps and bounds better than AT&T and has far more coverage. I couldn't be happier with provider or phone.

Hermes

Reaction score
Don't know. A couple of my co-workers can't get a signal on their AT&T iPhones inside our work building(lots of metal). We work a 3-4 miles west of NEW YORK CITY!!! The same for T-Mobile and Sprint users. They're always asking me if I have a signal. Yes,yes,yes..:D

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I used to work at a retail store that sold cell phones, and I would always give people the same advice before setting up service with a new provider when asked who has the best reception. Find a friend with the provider(s) you are considering and invite them to your house, or meet with them where you spend most of your time. Make a couple calls with their phone to make sure there is quality service. Regardless of what their map show, or the reputation of the company, all cell phone services have dead areas. For example, I had AT&T for a couple years, and after year one, I moved about a mile down the road. I originally had great service, but after I moved, the service dropped severely, but only within our house. I could go outside and it would be better.

At this point, the top cell phone providers are pretty even when it comes to call quality, but that does not prevent the occasional dead spot. Obviously it's too late for you to do the above, but it's very likely that you live in a small dead zone.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry OP, but for every story you have about AT&T > Verizon, I have one that's the other way around. Like when my iPhone toting buddy couldnt get a signal in his own living room, and I had 4 bars.

No where is going to be perfect, and if you hate it that much, then go back. I like my service, plenty of others do too.

JCo352

Reaction score
About the sounding like your in a tunnel I've heard this works: Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Voice Privacy>Uncheck

Brokn68

Reaction score
I have great coverage with Verizion where I am and never had a problem on the road either.