[Video] My Casual Galaxy Note 4 First Impressions - Specs Not Included

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just made my first impressions video on the Galaxy Note 4! Went a different route and didn't get into the obvious since it's not a full review, and just went into how it felt using the device for a short time.

Written:​
The first thing you’re going to notice with the Galaxy Note 4 is it’s excellent build quality, rivaled by only a few phones. Having owned a Note 3 and being satisfied with it’s fake metal banding, once you get a phone with this kind of build quality you really realize what you were missing out on. Holding it gives you a very premium feel in your hand which is awesome. Even with the chamfered edges, it’s still comfortable to hold. I’d say it feels better and more substantial in your hand than that of the LG G3 even with it being quite a bit larger.

------

The display on this is my favorite. Displaymate also says this is the most accurate display on the market today. One thing I missed from using phones with an LCD display, is when the background is black.. the pixels are still lit up. As we all know, this is not the case with samsung phones and the blacks are purely black and really make the images pop. Oh, and for all the people that complain and say the screen it too vibrant? You realize you basically have a TV in your pocket, right? Go to the settings and CHANGE it do a different mode. Cinema mode is what seems to be the most accurate.

------

The back, still being faux leather, still feels very nice in the hand and personally.. I like a plastic back. When I owned the HTC One I was way to scared to set that thing down without a case because I didn’t want to either, A, mess up the screen. Or B, mess up the nice metal backing. Not to mention in the winter it can get quite cold to the touch and just isn’t worth the trade-off to me.

------

Performance on this thing is just incredible. Now I don’t like stock launchers. Even with the Nexus 6 I will be putting Nova launcher on it. So all of that “touchwiz lag” people talk about, I’ve yet to see it no this phone while with my Note 3, the first day you could notice it right off that bat with certain things. Keep in mind, switching the launcher only changes your homescreen, touchwiz is still everywhere else. But.. it’s a lot better than it was.

------

One thing that I’ve noticed with this phone and that can get quite annoying is the feature to minimize whatever screen you’re on. It’s a really nice feature, but I find myself accidentally activating it all the time when trying to go to my notification tray. I like to swipe down from the corner, and now that is how you minimize the app. So, I now have to adjust a bit and make sure I’m not hitting the corner exactly.

------

One thing I didn't plan on mentioning with this phone was the whole "gapgate" issue. Because to me, while I could see very clearly in videos that there is some sort of gap, I figured it wouldn't effect anything on a day-to-day basis, if at all. That was until today.

I took my phone out of my pockets (it's the weekend, I'm wearing only sweats and casual clothes), and sure enough.. there was lint or something at the top of the display. So I had to actually take a receipt I had laying around to dig it out because sadly, my nails would not suffice.

------

Conclusion:
Other than the small gripe I have with the minimizing the window and the.. I'm not even sure if it should be a big deal to me or not, gap issue, this phone is absolutely incredible.​

However, if you're ready for an upgrade, wait until the Nexus 6 is out officially before deciding on whether you should get this, the Nexus 6, or for you Verizon folk, the Droid Turbo.

Rocer

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 4
I haven't noticed the minimize ability that was bothering you. Now I have a new feature to mess around with.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I haven't noticed the minimize ability that was bothering you. Now I have a new feature to mess around with.
It's super slick when you want it, but I've done it on accident myself. Not enough to make me want to shut the feature off (which you can do), but like the OP said, it's really just a matter of getting yourself used to swiping down a little closer to the center.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
BenLand150

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice review man. You should toss a link to this thread into the written impressions thread.

Sent from my Note 4
Absolutely, will do! And thank you!

Yeah, like Johnny mentioned it's not a huge deal. And if you expand your toggles you can turn it off as well.