Wallpapers - where are they?

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I just downloaded some more wallpapers for my GS5 (because they only give you 6 or 7) but have no clue where they are. Where are they downloaded and where are the GS4 wallpapers stored?? I can do pretty much anything with Windows but this OS is a complete mystery. Thanks.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The wallpapers that come preloaded are in a system (hidden) folder... I believe. But anything you download should be in the Gallery app > in a a folder named Download or Downloads.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
How do I tell a downloaded photo where to go? I downloaded two sets of wallpapers from the store but there's no option as to where they wind up. I opened the ES file explorer and finally found them in their own folder on the SD card but how do I move them all to the gallery?

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Just loaded the phone contents onto my computer and, with the file manager, found all the downloaded wallpapers and copied them all to the place where my photos are stored on the phone. Guess what. They still don't show up. I'm lost here.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Are you trying to set a new wallpaper using a pic you downloaded?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If so, when you long press on a empty screen area, do not select wallpapers as an option, select either Photos or Gallery (depending on your phone) and you should see every picture that is stored on your phone as an option to select as a wallpaper. When you select the option named Wallpapers the phone will only display the ones that came pre loaded.

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I'm using a Galaxy GS5 with Lollipop. There is no such choice. I only have Wallpapers, Widgets and Home Screen Settings

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Any downloaded photo should automatically go to your gallery on the S5. It will be defaulted to a folded labeled download". I've never downloaded wallpapers specifically from the Play Store, so that may be different. Are they Wallpaper "apps", or just wallpaper? Can you give me an example to look up?
(btw...you might try Zedge....great app for wallpapers and ringtones)
While in your gallery, you can open up a photo and click on the 3 dots (Which is your menu button) in the upper right hand corner and click "set as", then choose wallpaper.

S5 tap'n

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I found all the downloaded wallpapers and copied them all to the same place the galaxy puts photos I've taken. NONE of them show up. So I can't get them into the gallery to use them as wallpapers. I didn't download an app. Just wallpapers. Here's an example:
Beautiful Wallpapers - Android Apps on Google Play

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I found somewhat of a workaround (dammit they sure don't make this easy). In the browser, I right-clicked and saved the image to my computer and then mailed it to myself. When I got it on the phone, I was able to then set it as a wallpaper. What a pain in the ass. There has to be an easier way.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Ok, not sure why it's doing this but try rebooting your device. The wallpaper you saved to your SD card will now show up in your gallery. Then you can do with it what you want.
As I mentioned, I've never used these types of apps, but typically, saving a photo from any other location (email, internet etc) should show up automatically in your gallery without needing to reboot your device.
Not sure why this app does it this way, but wallpaper apps can be finicky like this. That's why I like Zedge. Even though "technically" it's a wallpaper app. lol

S5 tap'n

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
I rebooted. They're not there. Well, next time I'm in Best Buy I'll go in and ask. Downloading wallpapers from the store should be a no-brainer. Seems it's not.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
One would think, but that's not the case. Wallpaper is one thing, "Wallpaper apps" are a completely different animal. They have always been finicky and caused problems as far back as I can remember. Which is why Zedge is so popular....It's one of the few that just works.
Unfortunately Best Buy will not be able to help you with this issue because it's a third party app issue. Try doing a battery pull for a few minutes, then check again to see if they show up.
Do you have this problem even saving photos from Chrome? Try long pressing on a picture from your browser and click save, then check your gallery.
You're using the stock gallery right?
Open up your gallery, click on the menu button in the top right hand corner and click on "contents to view". Make sure the appropriate buttons are checked off.

S5 tap'n

OP
Bluesman2008

Bluesman2008

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung GS5
Tried the battery pull. No joy. I can save pretty much any image I can see but finding the downloaded wallpapers isn't happening. I even manually copied them to the (stock) gallery app that I use and they're not there. That's what's so mystifying.

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Try installing zedge from the play store instead. Easy to use.