[WARNING] Replacing your Bionic via Asurion? You're gonna have a baaadd time!

jbaeza83

Reaction score
Yesterday I dropped my phone and cracked my screen on my Bionic so when I tried to do the claim online with Asurion it said that the Bionic was out of stock and the comparable model was the Razr. Luckily before I continued I check this forum and found this thread. So after reading this thread I was on a mission to try to get a Razr Maxx.
I called and spoke to the first lady in CS, I told her I really wanted a Bionic because I had the extended battery and a few accessories for it like the docking station and a silicone case, she told me NO. I asked to speak to her supervisor, I told her the same story and she told me NO. Then I asked to speak to her supervisor and she told me that she was the highest point of contact at the moment but she could put me on a 24 hour call back from a higher supervisor, so I told her to put me on that. She put me on hold for 3-4 mins then came back and told me that they work very closely with Verizon to find a comparable model to the Bionic and that the Razr was all they can do. I then told her that I understood but with my extended battery the Razr was no longer comparable and that I was very disappointed because I have paid my $7 every month for a few years already to have insurance and when I try to do a claim I get the short end of the stick. Right after I told her that, she said that she was going to give me a ONE time courtesy upgrade to the Razr Maxx! I should get my Razr Maxx on Monday.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Yesterday I dropped my phone and cracked my screen on my Bionic so when I tried to do the claim online with Asurion it said that the Bionic was out of stock and the comparable model was the Razr. Luckily before I continued I check this forum and found this thread. So after reading this thread I was on a mission to try to get a Razr Maxx.
I called and spoke to the first lady in CS, I told her I really wanted a Bionic because I had the extended battery and a few accessories for it like the docking station and a silicone case, she told me NO. I asked to speak to her supervisor, I told her the same story and she told me NO. Then I asked to speak to her supervisor and she told me that she was the highest point of contact at the moment but she could put me on a 24 hour call back from a higher supervisor, so I told her to put me on that. She put me on hold for 3-4 mins then came back and told me that they work very closely with Verizon to find a comparable model to the Bionic and that the Razr was all they can do. I then told her that I understood but with my extended battery the Razr was no longer comparable and that I was very disappointed because I have paid my $7 every month for a few years already to have insurance and when I try to do a claim I get the short end of the stick. Right after I told her that, she said that she was going to give me a ONE time courtesy upgrade to the Razr Maxx! I should get my Razr Maxx on Monday.

Congratulations

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

virgil71468

Reaction score
Why doesn't vzw even swap razrs for our bionics and solve this problem with them

Sent from my DROID BIONIC .246 using Droid Forums

virgil71468

Reaction score
Let me guess "there's an app for that?"

drew96dawg

Reaction score
Why doesn't vzw even swap razrs for our bionics and solve this problem with them

Bc they want you to beg for it...

Let me guess "there's an app for that?"

I don't think they have an app for that

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Quick

Reaction score
Is it wise to just cancel asurion and save some cash? Because dont we have like a year warranty on our bionics through moto?

In the past (may change now due to loss of my unlimited data if I go for upgrade pricing) I have always gone with the insurance for the first year until I'm eligible for the upgrade discount.
Asurion is up to $100? deductible now. But it's a $500/$600 phone.
Main reason is for accidental damage or losing it.
Motorola warrants the phone for *defects* - and you have to send it in and wait. They do not cover damage or loss.
If you damage or lose your phone without insurance during the first year you're looking at full retail to replace it. 1-year of insurance is going to run you about $70-$80 (plus the deductible if you replace).
After the first year you can get the upgrade price from VZW. So maybe $100 - $150 -- IF you have to replace it
If it's defective within the first year you can go any route still open -- VZW, Moto, Asurion.
Chance of a manufacturing defect showing up after a year is about nil (actually goes close to zero after a month or 3) so you're mainly just worried about loss or damage after that.
Given that the probability of damage or loss is not 100% it makes sense for me to only carry the insurance until you're eligible for upgrade pricing.

(...now that upgrade pricing is not an option for me I'll have to re-think everything...:(

carguy

Reaction score
Quick said:
In the past (may change now due to loss of my unlimited data if I go for upgrade pricing) I have always gone with the insurance for the first year until I'm eligible for the upgrade discount.
Asurion is up to $100? deductible now. But it's a $500/$600 phone.
Main reason is for accidental damage or losing it.
Motorola warrants the phone for *defects* - and you have to send it in and wait. They do not cover damage or loss.
If you damage or lose your phone without insurance during the first year you're looking at full retail to replace it. 1-year of insurance is going to run you about $70-$80 (plus the deductible if you replace).
After the first year you can get the upgrade price from VZW. So maybe $100 - $150 -- IF you have to replace it
If it's defective within the first year you can go any route still open -- VZW, Moto, Asurion.
Chance of a manufacturing defect showing up after a year is about nil (actually goes close to zero after a month or 3) so you're mainly just worried about loss or damage after that.
Given that the probability of damage or loss is not 100% it makes sense for me to only carry the insurance until you're eligible for upgrade pricing.

(...now that upgrade pricing is not an option for me I'll have to re-think everything...:(

These companies invest thousands + researching this. Odds are against you ever filing a claim. I use their research for my benefit and never buy insurance on a phone or any other home electronics or appliance. To each their own...

Sent from my Gs3 while driving

Quick

Reaction score
These companies invest thousands + researching this. Odds are against you ever filing a claim. I use their research for my benefit and never buy insurance on a phone or any other home electronics or appliance. To each their own...

Well, yes. There wouldn't be insurance companies if they didn't profit. The companies price their product on the overall stats from a large sample size. With enough of a customer base they're going to hit their numbers pretty closely and consistently with little variance. Strictly from the aggregate odds, insurance is never worth buying. The reason individuals buy insurance is to reduce theirindividual variance and/or buy insurance against the "risk of ruin".

The odds are against Mr. Average Customer ever filing a claim. But if:
1) You have lost or broken 2 of your last 5 phones in the first year you owned them. Insurance may be a good deal for you.
2) You want/need a smartphone, cannot afford a $600 outlay for equipment all at one time, but you can afford to pay $6 extra each month. Insurance may be a good deal for you.
3) My kids ride and crash their BMX bikes all the time and I want them to take their phone with them (yes, they have lost or broken most everything else they own). Insurance is a good deal for me.
4) If you are Mr. Average Customer and can easily absorb a less than likely hit. Insurance is not a good deal for you.

carguy

Reaction score
Kids are a different story. Overall, for most users it's money thrown away.

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
Kids are a different story. Overall, for most users it's money thrown away.

It's also very little money at a time, about the cost of two lattes, good peace of mind. That being said, I've been thinking of dropping it myself, for just that reason.

Sent from my ICS Bionic

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
It's also very little money at a time, about the cost of two lattes, good peace of mind. That being said, I've been thinking of dropping it myself, for just that reason.

Sent from my ICS Bionic

"Good peace of mind" should be "for peace of mind"

Sent from my ICS Bionic

bld1mtview

Reaction score
I *just* replaced my Droid Bionic through Asurion, got it last Friday. And no problems, my replacement Bionic looks new from what I can tell. If there was a problem with supply I was either darn lucky with my timing or more stock has arrived and it's a non-issue now.

If you're worried, call and check when you start a claim. I did mine online last week, never thought that there might be any issues with availability!

I only activated the insurance about half way through my contract because I picked up an iPhone for my 10 year old and had seen the cost of full replacement while in the store. So, yes, it was worth it when I needed it, and bonus for me that I only paid for coverage halfway through my contract. But I don't typically get insurance and have never needed it in my 20 odd years of cell use (I won't count a lost cell that pre-dates smart phones). I'll probably drop the insurance in December when I can start looking around at a discount.

shadowsjc

Reaction score
for the past couple of days, my Bionic has been acting up. if i place the phone down too hard on a hard surface (i.e. table, or cupholder in my car) the phone reboots on its own. it's a launch day Bionic that has seen its share of issues (data drops, sluggishness , etc), but this was the last straw.

i have insurance on it and called the # to try to file a claim. i was under the impression that the whole point of paying the monthly insurance + the deductible was to guard against any sort of damage to the phone. the rep said that i could send it in and get a refurb, but if they examine the phone and see that there are any cracks or other damage, that i would have to pay full price for the phone (!!??)

doesn't that defeat the purpose of insurance? is this something new they've been doing? i coulda sworn i got an older smartphone wet, and insurance replaced it after paying the deductible. otherwise, i've just been throwing my money away this whole time

altspeed

Reaction score
Dallas, Lone Star Republic, North America, Terra
You're absolutely right. The terms of examination that they stated to you are exactly the same ones that Verizon tell you when you file a warranty claim. I haven't paid for insurance for a year or so now because the warranty more than covers the level of risk I'm willing to personally assume. If I were you I would seriously consider filing a complaint with your state insurance commission, and inform asurion of your concerns. If in fact the product you are paying for is insurance the state commission is the appropriate regulator. If it's NOT insurance they are not only mis-representing the product/transaction, but charging you extra money for something moto/verizon provide FREE for the first year.