What drains your battery more?

mkstn

Reaction score
So when at home is it batter to have the phone set to 4g or WiFi ? Anyone know which on drains the battery more or less? I was on 4g this morning
and the battery dropped from 100% to 85% in less than 2 hours. Switched to WiFi and is seems like a much less drain.

Beka27

Reaction score
I think in most cases wifi is better. But I'd rather have less battery life and use my 4g tho... because I can. :icon_ devil:

OP
mkstn

mkstn

Reaction score
If you are at home and have wifi then why not use it and save on your data plan and battery? you might have unlimited but still I am not sure why you would
want to use 4g?

Beka27

Reaction score
If you are at home and have wifi then why not use it and save on your data plan and battery? you might have unlimited but still I am not sure why you would
want to use 4g?

Because I have unlimited. I am spending the next two years (or 20 months) doing detailed experiments, so if in the future, we decide to drop the unl. data in favor of tiers, we know how much we will need. I don't want to have to rely on wifi to keep under my usage.

akitasumo

Reaction score
Great idea to track usage. Just be sure your phone use habits are the same in 18 months from now as they are now. I would think you would need to track your last 6 months of usage to see what your needs are.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

OP
mkstn

mkstn

Reaction score
,, ditto tha Good idea. Eventually they will get us all! If Sprint coverage was not so poor around here I would switch in two years but they will likely change their data plans too. This really is a cell phone price fixing IMHP.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
As others have said, WiFi uses less battery than cellular data (this is true for both 3G and 4G).

OP
mkstn

mkstn

Reaction score
That is what I figured... thanks for the feedback. So if you are out and about and only concerned about phone calls you could shout off Mobile Data and extend your battery too.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
That is what I figured... thanks for the feedback. So if you are out and about and only concerned about phone calls you could shout off Mobile Data and extend your battery too.

Yep. You'll still be able to send/receive calls and SMS (MMS requires a mobile data connection). It's a particularly useful option if you find yourself in an area with extremely weak signal for an extended period.