What is a ROM, How do I install it? Which is the best?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Seriously... People are saying, "don't jump on the guy he's new to this stuff." But c'mon. On my first droid, I rooted it (the hard way) and installed about 20 roms and never asked a single question on the forums. I'm a tile installer and I had 0 experience with ANY of this stuff (I'm talking about NONE WHATSOEVER) but I do know how to google and hit the button that says "search".
I'm def not patting myself on the back because I'm still a noob compared to some people on here, but these forums need to stay clean and un-cluttered so that they're easy to navigate.

Agreed. But, that could've just been said vs "don't worry about it" too though. I've asked MANY noob questions in the past too though that I now look at as "dumb questions" but I've learned ALOT here! Still a noob though! Hahaha!

dbutters

Reaction score
I've asked dumb questions and got smarmy responses. I laughed along and moved on with my life. There are stickied, bolded threads that explain everything he asked. Right at the top of the list.

smisheski

Reaction score
Seriously... People are saying, "don't jump on the guy he's new to this stuff." But c'mon. On my first droid, I rooted it (the hard way) and installed about 20 roms and never asked a single question on the forums. I'm a tile installer and I had 0 experience with ANY of this stuff (I'm talking about NONE WHATSOEVER) but I do know how to google and hit the button that says "search".
I'm def not patting myself on the back because I'm still a noob compared to some people on here, but these forums need to stay clean and un-cluttered so that they're easy to navigate.

Wow this is my first post and i just want to point out how cool i think you are for not having to ask ANY QUESTIONS. If you didn't pat your own back, i will do so for you.

1694kyle

Reaction score
Now that I'm at a computer let me respond.

-A rom is a custom operating system made by developers.

-You can install through many methods. Rom Manager being one

-Some roms can be downloaded right here from the forums, others through rom manager. It's really based off of personal preference.

-Once again based off of personal prefrence.

- Custom roms can improve quite a few different things. ex. faster speeds, use of less memory, even neat little tweaks to make your phone more enjoyable.

-Rooting theming or putting custom roms on your phone can always be a risk.
Messing with the operating systems and its OG designs can cause issues. There are always solutions to almost every problem.

Do like I did. It took me about a month of reading post after post to even get the nerve to just root my phone. I was prepared though when I finally crossed that fence.

Once again if you have any issues or problems , thats what these forums are here for.

Not the most detailed response but I hope I answered a few questions. And I know that my grammar is horrible so no comments lol

+1. awesome reply, It's good people like this that helps. I know that I've asked some retarded questions before. Thanks to all that has helped.

To the OP, I installed the Black Glass 928Droid BGX 2.2 theme, I love it. Just my opinion. I downloaded it from the forum. It took me awhile to get the nerve to install a ROM. But glad I did, Now just waiting on the official release of froyo to start all over again.

One post could have ended this thread a long time ago.

That would have been directing the OP to this link:
android custom roms - Google Search

And none of the links were droidforums. Fail

32dj

Reaction score
New Droid Owner

+1 to this post. We were all new once. I was and relied on help just like the op. Pm me if you need any help.

+1!! Its so hateful to talk down to someone who asks for help! Imagine if someone had done that to Pete...Bugless Beast (well, started as Bugless Beauty) would have never came to be! The Forums are for support, not to bash others! If negativity is the only response you can give someone, just don't comment!
I am also new to the Droid X I was a BB storm 2 user. I agree there is no need to :talk down" to anyone who is new. We were all new at one point and asked questions. Answers like that would discourage me from posting any questions. I know there is alearning curve but please show some patients and be positve with a frendly referal to an earlier post when you can. Just my 2 cents!

32dj

Reaction score
Search show nothing

Probably best you just don't worry about it...

Whoa an elitist! Can't I learn, try helping out a new droid owner who wants to get into it....

You can find all the answers to your questions by spending a little time searching the forums.

This kind of stuff has been discussed a thousand times before.

dancedroid I tried a search "what is ROM" and the reply from the search was "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms".

dbutters

Reaction score
Sure, we were all new at one point, but presumably we all know how to read, yes? A quote over the doors to the old library at FSU reads "The half of knowledge lies in knowing where to find it" - the information is all out there, and here at droidforums, they've even gone to the trouble of highlighting and tagging it all, so that it's the first thing a new user sees.

I don't know any more about my droid than anyone else does. Everything I have been able to do is from reading the instructions that the real brains behind this site write out for us. It's all right there, and if you can't figure that out, you're just going to get yourself into a world of trouble with no idea how to fix it when messing with your $500 phone.

Last edited:

monkeyshines

Reaction score
Whoa an elitist! Can't I learn, try helping out a new droid owner who wants to get into it....

You can find all the answers to your questions by spending a little time searching the forums.

This kind of stuff has been discussed a thousand times before.

dancedroid I tried a search "what is ROM" and the reply from the search was "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms".

If you're being serious, start here... How to Search the Internet Effectively

shmoo

Reaction score
I know we were all new at this once but all it takes is going to the droid hacks and or android roms section...and with about 5 minutes or less of reading you can find the answer to all your questions. I don't think anyone is trying to be mean, but we all get sick and tired of people asking without reading first. If you're smart enough to use a smartphone then you're smart to look thru the forums first.

Sent from my OG Droid using Tapatalk Pro

dj_mallu

Reaction score
I created an account just to reply on this thread.. Thank you so much for being kind to new users..

affliction

Reaction score
all you people need to stop being pricks about the guy asking questions its a forum he can ask what he want if u dont like it dont repley to it!!!!!!!!

shmoo

Reaction score
I'm not being a prick here....yes its a forum and yes he can ask what he likes. But when there get to be like 10 threads asking tbhe same thing and there are several stickies that will answer all of the questions we start to get a little iritated.

affliction

Reaction score
I guess u will just have to get over it because that what people do they ask questions in forums even ones that already have been answered There is no rule here about repeat topics

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

shmoo

Reaction score
I have nothing to get over. You are right ppl will ask questions. Just seems like some don't bother to use the search fnction

1694kyle

Reaction score
I have nothing to get over. You are right ppl will ask questions. Just seems like some don't bother to use the search fnction

And some of us don't like to read previous posts...

I tried a search "what is ROM" and the reply from the search was "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms".