Whats something you can do with your Droid that most people don't know about?

diverseth

Reaction score
Google Sky Map and Google Googles.

However I saw a neat iphone app. live camera view from one phone to the other called Knock or something of course I acted very unimpressed.

GVLBob

Reaction score
How about this for an example to share.

Say you want to go to a new restaurant and aren't sure (1) if you can get a reservation and (2) how to get there. Point out that you can...

• Open up the Browser and search on the name of the restaurant,
  • Touch the phone number, call the restaurant, and make the reservation,
  • Return to the browser and touch on "directions",
  • Check the map and then select Navigation,
  • Go to the car and hook up the Droid to the AUX input,
  • Before heading out, start the Music app and begin playing soothing music. Point out that the Droid (using its multitasking capability) will run the Navigation app in the background while playing music,
  • Also point out that the Droid will interrupt the music to provide voice directions,
  • Upon arriving at the restaurant, continue to play soothing music while cooling one's heals waiting for the table,
  • After dinner, (if one is mathematically-challenged or "three sheets to the wind") use the Tips Calculator to determine the appropriate amount at add to the bill,
  • Also after dinner, use the Browser to access Google to determine the meaning of the expression "three sheets to the wind". And finally,
  • Return once more to the Navigator to return home. :biggrin:

Mr.G

Reaction score
Making Locale set my phone to Vibrate/Dim-Screen whenever I go to one of the three main movie theaters in my city. I told one of my friends who has an iPhone about that and he replied with "...You win."

Also going into a 'Low Power' mode (Dim screen/turn of bells/whistles) automatically at >30% Battery with Locale is pretty awesome/butt-saving.

Obviously Locale is in my top 5 apps. It really makes it feel like a little robot is in my pocket.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is a little robot ....

I like tricorder too, but emailed the dev, we need a medical version, something akin to a dweeb detector that can go off near iphone users :)

When in an arguement with an iphone user, it is a simple win:

Make each phone consume power, then pop out your spare batt, and ask him how long until he has a good enough charge to go back online or rcve a call.... :icon_ devil:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Shopsavvy as well, especially if they hear the scan "Doink" in the aisle ... :)

I had a flash drive show up as less online at the store I was in, and made them match it. :)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
vs iphone users, i am sold on handscent on how you can change you entire text background. So you are essentially texting over a picture. Multitasking on there is sick, ask iphone guy to show you how to run pandora in the background and check your mail or use another app.
Besides arguing with iphone guy is useless, if Steve Jobs says they dont need it then they are happy with believing that Steve is right. Steve says flash just slows every thing down Iphone fanboy's response to why they dont have flash "it is wortless, all it does is slow everything down"
Might as well call them Steve jr. (have another name (ryhmes with witch) but gonna keep it G-rated).

OP
Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr

Reaction score
Making Locale set my phone to Vibrate/Dim-Screen whenever I go to one of the three main movie theaters in my city. I told one of my friends who has an iPhone about that and he replied with "...You win."

Also going into a 'Low Power' mode (Dim screen/turn of bells/whistles) automatically at >30% Battery with Locale is pretty awesome/butt-saving.

Obviously Locale is in my top 5 apps. It really makes it feel like a little robot is in my pocket.

Lmaoo +1 for the Droid.

tu3218

Reaction score

Is Locale not free anymore? I know it use to be because I tried it out but now the only locale I can find is $10.

Mr.G

Reaction score
I have the Locale Beta, but you're right, it doesn't seem to show up in the Market at the moment. That's pretty lame, perhaps they'll throw it back up after a bit. Either way I'm counting my Blessings to be worth about $10 at the moment XD

Shel

Reaction score
I'm personally impressed with SnapTell!

You launch SnapTell, then take a photo of ANY book, CD, computer game (WII, X\-Box, PSP, etc.), or movie dvd and it scans the photo, uploads it, and compares it to a database of images, returning with the name of the game/book/musical cd/ and tells you the best prices!

I've even covered up all of the text with my fingers, because my brother in law said he was sure it was using text recognition to read the name on the cover... still worked with NO text!

Imagine how many photos there must be, that it needs to search through, to be able to find most books, computer games, dvd's, etc!

Pretty amazing!~

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Google Sky Maps got some looks at work.

Swype has gotten quite a bit of attention. There is a running joke at work where I will pull up a search, and swype without a purpose (drawing circles, spazzing out) to see what word it suggests. That word then becomes the word of the day.

Surveyor v1.1.365 Application for Android | Tools - Is a pretty cool one I found a while back. It doesn't work 100%, but sometimes it gives rather accurate readings.

Reaction score
There is an app for the droid that sends a live feed from your camera, that app is freking sweet, and the fact that i can change my phone batteries at will pwns iphones all day lmao.