Which phone?

mcraeh

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am two weeks away from my upgrade date, and I need some advice on what to do. Over the past 10-11 months, my Razr MAXX has been intermittently unusable due to lag. It has gotten so bad most of the time I can't even answer it when it rings because the finger swipe does not register until after the call has gone to voicemail. I frequently get messages that apps I am not even using have become unresponsive and asking me to shut them down. I have tried everything I know to fix this, and at this point I have had no luck and have been reduced to anxiously awaiting the day I can get a new phone.

My question is, which phone do I get? I personally know three other people who have the same issues as me with their MAXX and/or MAXX HD. One of those replaced the MAXX with the newer equivalent and is very happy with it, as I was happy with mine when I first got it and for the next year. I am just worried that if I get that one, I'll be right back to being completely frustrated with it after a year or so. It seems like the highest rated phone out there is the Samsung S5. However, I actually got the S4 before the MAXX and returned it because the signal and battery were terrible. I liked the MAXX so much better, and it was a great phone, until it wasn't anymore. I still have great signal and battery, but the phone is useless most of the time. So what should I do? Any suggestions?

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I'd suggest waiting couple months. The new moto and Droid phones will be announced soon and from what I read they will be worth the wait. The note 4 will also be announced soon. For now, did you clear the phones cache and have you thought about a factory reset to start from scratch?

Sent from my XT1060

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You really can't go wrong with any of the newer devices. (S5, LG G3, HTC M8, etc) They're all great phones and each have their pros & cons. Ultimately it will be up to you, what you like (style & spec wise) and what YOU are looking for in a smartphone.
Just as I love my new S5, each of our members with the newer devices will tell you the same about theirs. They really are all amazing.
As GoCliffGo suggested, you might try a factory reset on your current device until you make your decision. Good luck!

tap'n on my S5

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well if you want a phone in the next 2 weeks then I suggest you head to the store and play around with some of the devices. You really can't go wrong with any of the top tier phones on Verizon. You just gotta figure out which is the best fit for you.

If you could wait just a little longer there are rumors of a few Moto devices out there (X+1 and Droid Turbo, from what I've heard) that may be slated to release sometime in Sept, but again these are rumors.

D

Divergent

Try to get a a OnePlus invite code at the moment is the OnePlus One the best phone on the market ;)

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I clear the cache about once a week. That usually helps for half a day or so. I have uninstalled or disabled every nonessential app I can find. I have deleted every old text an email, and cleared as much of the memory as I can. I have not done the FDR, but that is only because I have seen a ton of posts on forums from people who went to all that trouble, only to find that nothing else changed. I am still thinking about trying that, just haven't been able to figure out yet how to back up everything that will be wiped out.

As for what I want, I want a phone that has good battery life and that I can use inside my house. The Samsung S4 I had at first had terrible reception, to the point that I couldn't talk on it while inside. Which is unacceptable since I also use my cell for work and can't afford to have it not work. So even if I could play with the phones in the store, it unfortunately doesn't tell me how they will do when I get them home or out and about. So, I got exactly what I wanted with the Razr MAXX. I wish it was still the phone it was when I first got it, if that was the case, I would not be looking to upgrade at all. So what's the Droid Turbo? Also not sure what "OnePlus invite code" is.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The Droid Turbo is the rumored new 2014 Motorola Droid name. Replacing the Droid Ultra & Maxx from last year. There are some Moto press conferences coming up soon, so the new 2014 lineup should be more clear soon. Budget is always another consideration. You can get great deals now on the 2013 / early 2014 models. If money is not an option, then as others have said...maybe wait a few weeks and see if the new Moto phones are something you like. I just bought a Droid Maxx recently and love it...it's a great phone! I know it will be "last year's Droid" soon, but that's not a major concern for me.

OP
M

mcraeh

Reaction score
It's odd to think that they would announce a 2014 lineup this late into the year. But that does sound interesting. I did love my maxx for the first year or so, until the big slowdown. Maybe I can do something so that I can hold out for a while. But I get so frustrated with the phone being laggy it will be really difficult I'm afraid.

Beer

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat but I'm going to tough it out until LMP is released. Kit Kat has been out for a while. If you buy a phone that doesn't ship with LMP then you are probably only looking at one operating system upgrade for the device. The last several devices I've had have gotten two version upgrades from Motorola. My rational is that If I buy it with "L" then it should get upgrades for "M" and "N".

doniago

Reaction score
I had a Droid RAZR MAXX for about two years. Upgraded to the HTC One M8 and I absolutely love it. Rooting is a little tricky but nowhere near impossible, and I find the stock setup speedy enough that I've really not done much looking into alternatives. The battery life has also been amazing for me.

MarBearCat

Reaction score
My Razr Maxx lags also, not quite as bad as yours but frustrating. I'm 4 months past my contract end and am paying month to month until I see something I like. My problem is if I want to retain my unlimited data I must pay full price for the phone and I have yet to see a phone worth full price.

Every time my phone gives me trouble I look to the sky and shout, "Verizon I know you're doing this to me to get me to upgrade!!!" LOL!

lloydsw

Reaction score
Resist the temptation. Unlimited data is gold. I've been month to month for over two years now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Resist the temptation. Unlimited data is gold. I've been month to month for over two years now.
Your plan doesn't change once you go month-to-month right?

My contract isn't up until next July, but I wouldn't mind paying month-to-month if my payment stays the same. Though I may end up ditching Verizon altogether as I don't use data nearly as much as I used to.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Mine didn't change when we went month to month.

tap'n on my S5
Same here...no changes in plan or monthly bill.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk