Which ROM? Liberty or CM7?

MisterCrispy

Reaction score
So I'm currently running stock GB, but I used to have Rubix and I'm trying to decide whether I should install Liberty or CM7. Any suggestions?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
What features are you looking for? They're both great ROMs. Liberty has HDMI and the ability to install Blur.apks though.

Boot Manager

OP
M

MisterCrispy

Reaction score
Fast and long battery life.

I probably won't use HDMI, and I'm not interested in Blur at all.

Which is more popular?

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Hmm... Both are widely used. Since CM is on almost every single Android device that's the most popular. It's not really a fair comparison! :p
I loved Liberty but I just felt limited by it after a while. It's fantastic though!
CM7 is great if you want to customize everything! And I do mean everything! It can get a bit overwhelming if you're not used to ROMs! Oh and with CM7 you can switch between themes within an app so you don't have to flash themes! :)

I say stay with Liberty and then move onto CM! :D

Edit: I forgot to mention. If you don't know the difference. Liberty is based on Blur. CM is built completely from scratch aosp so there is no blur in it! :)

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I say try both. Like I said in another "what ROM should I use topic":

ROMs al most always work differently on different phones and to the user. What's stable for one can be a complete mess for another another.

OP
M

MisterCrispy

Reaction score
I read some where that it's pretty easy to switch back and forth between the ROMS. You just download them with the toolbox and then use CWR to flash them?

It seems like CM7 is getting very popular, so therefore I'm thinking it will be supported longer?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
I read some where that it's pretty easy to switch back and forth between the ROMS. You just download them with the toolbox and then use CWR to flash them?

It seems like CM7 is getting very popular, so therefore I'm thinking it will be supported longer?

Here is my suggestion. Load CM7 on your phone and run it for awhile. If you find you need more battery life and you need to run Blur apks, make a nandroid backup of your phone through Clockwork Recovery and then wipe and flash Liberty. If for any reason you don't like Liberty, just boot into CWR, wipe, and restore your backup of CM7. All your settings and everything from when you made the backup will be there.

Also use Titanium Backup to back up your apps. Use Titanium Backup Pro if you want it to restore all your apps for you faster.

Boot Manager

OP
M

MisterCrispy

Reaction score
Here is my suggestion. Load CM7 on your phone and run it for awhile. If you find you need more battery life and you need to run Blur apks, make a nandroid backup of your phone through Clockwork Recovery and then wipe and flash Liberty. If for any reason you don't like Liberty, just boot into CWR, wipe, and restore your backup of CM7. All your settings and everything from when you made the backup will be there.

Also use Titanium Backup to back up your apps. Use Titanium Backup Pro if you want it to restore all your apps for you faster.

Boot Manager

Is the battery life better on Liberty then it is on CM7?

OP
M

MisterCrispy

Reaction score
Its definitely better

Boot Manager

Well, I was about to install Liberty. I downloaded it using Toolbox, then I went into CWM, cleared data, then when to install the rom, but I couldn't find it, so install CM7 instead. So far it seems ok, but I'm having trouble with Titanium backup. It's taking forever to restore. Same thing happened last week when I upgraded to GB. Had to install each app individually.

Anyway, if the battery usage is bad, I will probably switch to Liberty next weekend.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you download Liberty 3 or V.09? You might need to add a .zip to the end of the Liberty file before you can flash it

Boot Manager

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
For some reason when u download lb3 it doesn't download as a .zip. just go into your romtoolbox folder on your SD card and put .zip on the end of the name.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
M

MisterCrispy

Reaction score
For whatever reason, the file never made it to the phone. I searched for it by connecting the phone to my computer and going through the directories.

CM7 was acting a bit unstable on my phone and I was worried about the battery usage, so today I flashed the Liberty Mod. So far, I think it's better. One odd thing is that when I pull down the status screen from the top, it say's Liberty 1.0, not Liberty 3. Is that normal?

I also had an issue with Titanium. I started a batch restore and let it sit for 2 or 3 hours. When I came back, it was at 56% Is this normal? I stopped the backup and installed each app manually. Kind of a pain in the but.

All in all, I'm getting comfortable at flashing ROM's, so that's something :)