Who Is Wearing Them?

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As I relax and watch a little TV tonight I have seen 3 iWatch commercials in the past hour. One even had Alice Cooper in it...really? That got me thinking, and I realized that I have actually seen quite a few people recently wearing iWatches. In the 15 months I have been wearing an Android Watch I have traveled all over the country and have never noticed a single other person wearing an Android Watch. But I have seen lots of people wearing iWatches. Is Google advertising Android Wear enough? Are they really selling as many as reported? If so, who the heck is wearing them? Curious what other AW owners think.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I know a bunch of us with Android watches and one guy with an iwatch.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know 1 person with an Apple watch (who doesn't even wear it anymore because of its lack if battery life and usefulness), 3 with a Gear S1 (like mine), my sister in law has a Gear Fit and 1 with a Moto G watch. I can't count how many with a Fitbit though. The skinny one that looks like a silicone band seems to be the most popular. I guess it matches their under armor shirt and north face jacket best since they're pretty much clothing clones of each other.
I've seen a few costumers with Android watches and a few with Apple watches but countless Fitbit wearers (again clones I spoke of above).
I get a lot of looks at my watch and a few queries about my S and when I was using the Gear Fit I got a lot more queries about it since it looks like a pregnant Fitbit
To your point I've seen a few Apple watch commercials that did nothing,imo, to garner why anyone would want one, 1 commercial for Android Wear that left me wondering what the blank they were trying to say and what product was the thing even about and 1 for Samsung that showed a runner making a phone call from his Gear S to his wife's Samsung phone. I think advertisers that have Apple watch apps are what is selling the Apple watch by showing the ease of use of their product by it being useful on a smartwatch, Apple being the only one pushing a square model anymore. Google has always left me shaking my head but glad they don't advertise more because they have probably the dumbest attempts to sell a product since the few they got right promoting the ogNexus7

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm not sure that I've seen anyone in person who also has a smart watch of any kind, not counting my wife who I got a Gear Fit for around Christmas time.

We're pretty rural here, but I did spend some time in/around Wichita, KS for Thanksgiving. Still not a BIG city, but definitely bigger than the area I live in. Still didn't notice anyone wearing one that I saw as we walked around malls and went to dinner.

I do notice quite a few of them on YouTube tech channels, but as for seeing them in person, not so much.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
As for the advertising, can we really blame Google on this one? Samsung, LG, and others make their own commercials for their phones. Why shouldn't they make commercials for their watches as well? Sure, it'd help if Google made some good use-case commercials, but I don't see it as being their responsibility. They just make the software, so any commercial they make is going to be generalized to the point of being unclear what it's about, which was the case with the AW commercials that they did make.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As for the advertising, can we really blame Google on this one? Samsung, LG, and others make their own commercials for their phones. Why shouldn't they make commercials for their watches as well? Sure, it'd help if Google made some good use-case commercials, but I don't see it as being their responsibility. They just make the software, so any commercial they make is going to be generalized to the point of being unclear what it's about, which was the case with the AW commercials that they did make.
Good points Jonny! I agree that when Google does make commercials they have to keep them pretty generic and can't focus on any particular watch. I also agree that the few AW commercials I have seen (which we already discussed here somewhere) were not very clear as to what they were about. Maybe if they made a simple commercial focusing on exactly what AW can do, how useful it can be, people would understand it better?

I have had several people ask me recently (one on a plane and another at the rental car office, and a Delta employee) ask "what model Apple watch is that?". Then when I tell them that it's an AW watch, get the " oh, Google is copying Apple now" response. Then some have looked at me like I insulted the Queen when I tell them that AW was out long before Apple watches.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm sure they could do some basic commercials showing someone getting weather or a text, googling stuff, navigating using an AW watch. Gets a little sticky when you get into the fact that only 1 or 2 of the newer ones have a speaker, so if they showed that, they'd have to put a disclaimer (*Function dependent on compatible watch). I guess it could be done, but even the "Be together, not the same" commercials don't really show much functionality of android devices.

They had those good commercials (I think those were the Nexus 7 ones that Mark or someone mentioned) where it showed the kid trying to get home and some other situations where you might actually use specific features, so it's not like they've NEVER done it, but they sure don't do it often or well.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The few Moto 360 commercials that Moto made had good examples of how useful the wat h could be, what you could do with it. The functionality displayed in those commercials is what drew my interest (simple, quick notifications on your wrist without always looking at your phone). Google should make a few with a similar approach, and include the humor. Example:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I bought an android watch when it first came out. It is a great tool for those that work with their hands.

But at the end of the day these devices are more for those that already wear watches. I personally could not get into wearing watches. Even as a kid I would wear for a little bit but then take it off because it irritated my skin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I bought an android watch when it first came out. It is a great tool for those that work with their hands.

But at the end of the day these devices are more for those that already wear watches. I personally could not get into wearing watches. Even as a kid I would wear for a little bit but then take it off because it irritated my skin.

Yeah. Prior to buying mine, I really only wore a watch at work. Now, I'll wear it if I go somewhere in the evening or on the weekend, but I tend to take it off after work when it's time to relax or do things around the house.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

Very true, couldn't agree more. If you are not already a "watch person" then I doubt any advertising or functionality will convert you to be a full time smart watch wearer. I have always worn a watch since I was 18; so for me it was a logical decision. I'm going to wear one anyway, might as well wear one that is connected to my phone.

People that do wear watches still don't really know what AW can do though.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I wear my iwatch everyday ...battery is solid and comes in handy especially at work ...I still use the Moto 360 sometimes with iPhone and plenty when I just go workout ...

6S PLUS

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I had a calc watch I wore to math class. That was about it. The Moto360 was worn for about a month and then I lost the "I need to wear this" feeling. I still charge it up and wear it if I'm going to be at an event where I don't want to pull out my cell phone, like a concert, fancier dinner, etc.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

before getting my Gear Fit I hadn't worn a watch in decades other than the occasional usage of my hrm ones. When I got the Fit I got hooked to the ability to use it as a remote control for my music player and it actually was more durable than watches I used to wear. Once I got the S (I've written before why I got it so I won't elaborate yet again) and once I found a watch face that acts like a launcher it has become indispensable as a mini pda, with or without notifications and phone call ability. Since I found out my Samsung calendar syncs with my Google calendar I've started using it even more for appointments and other stuff, again pda like function. When it dies eventually if round less than 2 screens are all that are available I'll go back to using my phone as a pda like previously and doubt I'll continue to wear a watch.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><