Why go for the Maxx HD over standard HD?

geoff5093

Reaction score
It is by a long shot. I compared my Thunderbolt w/extended battery to the MAXX HD. The MAXX was much lighter.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger and buy the MAXX, the only thing that worries me is doing something wrong and losing my Unlimited Data.
I also went from the Thunderbolt w/ extended battery to the MAXX HD. I purchased full retail and had no problems.

RaveD

Reaction score
The difference between standard HD and Maxx is only $50 ...
You just answered your own question.

IMO why wouldn't you pay a small premium for a simply incredible battery?

As others have stated, it is not about not having to charge your phone every night. It is about not worrying AT ALL that your phone won't make it through the day no matter how you use it.

It's a small pleasure to not have to bother turning off GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, or plug in the phone when you get down to 30% just in case you won't make it home, or turn down the screen brightness to avoid draining it, or avoid running CPU hungry apps when your charge is low, or . . .

I consider the small premium well worth it.

geoff5093

Reaction score
You just answered your own question.

IMO why wouldn't you pay a small premium for a simply incredible battery?

As others have stated, it is not about not having to charge your phone every night. It is about not worrying AT ALL that your phone won't make it through the day no matter how you use it.

It's a small pleasure to not have to bother turning off GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, or plug in the phone when you get down to 30% just in case you won't make it home, or turn down the screen brightness to avoid draining it, or avoid running CPU hungry apps when your charge is low, or . . .

I consider the small premium well worth it.
Agreed. If you buy an extended battery and new rear door on other phones, you're looking at $50+. It's a small price to pay for amazing battery life.

ejcrossl

Reaction score
It is by a long shot. I compared my Thunderbolt w/extended battery to the MAXX HD. The MAXX was much lighter.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger and buy the MAXX, the only thing that worries me is doing something wrong and losing my Unlimited Data.

If you are buying at a discount, you will lose unlimited data.

mrtech1200

Reaction score
Even with the MAXX HD you are going to want to charge it every night, I doubt you could get through 2 full days of normal use.

Got a Maxx HD, after 2 full days battery still at 45%. working on day 3...still going.

revelated

Reaction score
On WiFi, the MAXX can easily go days without a charge. I think my record was 3 days (Fully charged after work on a Friday, WiFi all weekend, finally died halfway through work on Monday.)

revelated

Reaction score
Already did, and I use TiBu to freeze all the Verizon and Motorola bloatware.

There's just no way you should be half down after 7 hours of 'moderate' use then. With the MAXX, that's just not possible unless your screen brightness is cranked or your 4G signal is weak such that the phone keeps going in and out of signal hunting. You should be AT LEAST 10 hours @ 57%.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
revelated said:
There's just no way you should be half down after 7 hours of 'moderate' use then. With the MAXX, that's just not possible unless your screen brightness is cranked or your 4G signal is weak such that the phone keeps going in and out of signal hunting. You should be AT LEAST 10 hours @ 57%.

"Moderate" is a relative word. Could mean only 3 streaming movies instead of 5. But I agree with your sentiments, unless he held the screen on for 4-5 of those hours.

geoff5093

Reaction score
"Moderate" is a relative word. Could mean only 3 streaming movies instead of 5. But I agree with your sentiments, unless he held the screen on for 4-5 of those hours.
I was driving a lot, and quite a bit was in low signal areas.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
geoff5093 said:
I was driving a lot, and quite a bit was in low signal areas.

"Hand shaking" takes it toll.

My comment is some people consider playing angry birds for hours is moderate. Lol.

aznguyen316

Reaction score
If you haven't used a MAXX...you simply cannot appreciate the battery.

It's not about gaming, or forgetting to charge. It's about the way things 'usedta'.

'Usedta' be that my phone needed charging once every 3 days. That was the Sanyo SCP-5000, one of the first full color phones on Sprint. Now mind you, that was before 4G and even 3G. But my point is, battery technology is the one thing that manufacturers have neglected from then to now. We have seen Nextel phones that lasted nearly a week, and now we're at the point of phones like the Thunderbolt where you're lucky to go 5 hours with moderate use. That's not acceptable.

After having used the MAXX for over a year, I can safely say that I will never settle for a phone that can't go AT LEAST 12 hours with HEAVY usage and still have power when I get home.

To put it in perspective, I leave my house at 7:30-ish every day. I turn Hotspot on and leave it on (4G is strong in this area). I connect my Nexus 7 to it. That tablet is in my hand and in constant use throughout the day, whether using Google Nav or Sky.FM or email or whatever. At work I connect my Kindle Fire to the Hotspot and it streams Sky.FM for at least 3 hours. The phone itself is on push personal and push corporate emails, location is left on just because. I just drop it in my pocket and forget about it.

I get home around 5-6pm, I've still got 20% power left.

So you figure nearly 12 hours of juice and that's with the most extreme of data usage. Essentially it's a super powered mobile hotspot that, unlike the Jetpacks, gets to abuse Verizon's unlimited data offering.

The MAXX has no peer. Not even the RAZR HD with its admittedly substantial battery bump can compete.

While I totally get what you're saying on your uses, it sounds like you have the ability to keep the phone plugged in at your desk while you tether? Or am I wrong and maybe you keep the phone in your pocket while you use your Nexus 7 on the go or your kindle?