Will a froyo MIUI continue for The D1?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

I am quite new to MIUI. Only been on it the past 3 weeks or so. I know this may be a stupid question but I was wondering if any development will continue on the froyo builds of MIUI. I only ask this because all versions have been very beta.

Gingerbread MIUI seems really sweet with a log of new UI features, however we all know that the D1 is NOT set for gingerbread. It just can't handle the memory, and I can't deal with a daily ROM that won't allow me to listen to music and go into another app at the same time.

I just wish someone would take the froyo build of MIUI and improve it, fix the flaws, and add to it. Would be nice to have a MIUI based rom that works flawlessly on the D1... Just my thoughts...

PARick

Reaction score

I am quite new to MIUI. Only been on it the past 3 weeks or so. I know this may be a stupid question but I was wondering if any development will continue on the froyo builds of MIUI. I only ask this because all versions have been very beta.

Gingerbread MIUI seems really sweet with a log of new UI features, however we all know that the D1 is NOT set for gingerbread. It just can't handle the memory, and I can't deal with a daily ROM that won't allow me to listen to music and go into another app at the same time.

I just wish someone would take the froyo build of MIUI and improve it, fix the flaws, and add to it. Would be nice to have a MIUI based rom that works flawlessly on the D1... Just my thoughts...

Ditto. I have tried every Gingerbread ROM, and although they have some nice features, they render my phone unreliable for texts and emails. I hope someone will continue to carry the FROYO banner.

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yes, I mean I completely love the benefits that gingerbread brings and I know the Droid 1 is an outdated phone, but I can't upgrade till late this year so I think people with D1's should really pump up the froyo builds.

Personally I had very little issues with gingerbread roms. They are faster and way better on battery. However like I said, on every ginger rom, if you have music playing then try to check facebook or something the music stops... it gts killed far too easily. Thats why I am staying on MIUI 1.3.25 for now, I need to multitask...

jengas kahn

Reaction score
+1 million to this.

maybe i'm being an idealist but it'd be nice to see an actual team *coughteamd1-miuicough* or dedicated dev work on froyo miui... to optimize it for our device, maybe add some features, idk, 3-way boot, autorotating launcher and music app, make options like "power button to end call" more accessible, add more frequently requested mods... just suggestions.

yes, it's exciting to get a new port every week but it's kind of like starting over again and again and again. and as far as gb goes, i'm not sure that it's ever going to run as well as froyo.

groovydeus

Reaction score

I agree, and I was/am perfectly content with the Froyo builds of MIUI (like you it is going to be a while until I have a new handset). Given the 'conversations' that I have read, it doesn't appear that the China team developing MIUI has any intention of continuing the D1 Froyo path. Additionally, the team here that is porting it (which is no small task, and this comment is not meant to diminish their efforts) has limited bandwidth and may lack the capacity to tweak the internals of the rom.

I have little interest in GB on the D1. I just don't think there is all that much bang for the buck. The interface is not substantially different, there is little additional capability...seems to me like wasted effort trying to shoehorn it onto the D1 when we could polish what was already working pretty well.

porky101

Reaction score
Personally I am quite pleased with the MIUI GB, I have not had any more issues with the ROM then i have had with previous MIUI Froyo builds. Although, i would love to see this ROM come out of beta status.

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
porky101 - I agree 100% that the gingerbread miui is awesome, i love it, but I am saying that there are issues that will never be fixed. Every ROM I have tried, you cannot listen to music and navigate at the same time. For me this is enough of an issue to call it quits...

jdm627 - Thats kinda neat, but not quite related. I don't want new versions of MIUI.

magiman7

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Miui froyo was based on CM6, which, AFAIK, is no longer actively developed on. We could get code for CM6, but it is not going to be continually updated and improved because everyone has moved on to the CM7 base. However, in theory, we could fix any bugs that stem from the CM6 base. What we can't fix is any bug that comes from the Miui additions or modifications. We don't have the code to any of those apps, libraries, frameworks, etc, so if there are any bugs in there we can't get to them to fix them. The best we can do is replace them with newer versions that the Chinese devs (who do have the source code) release. Unfortunately newer versions are all going to be built for Gingerbread and likely will not work on Froyo.

I won't say it can't happen, but in all likelihood, 1.3.25 is as good as it is going to get for Froyo Miui.

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
magiman7 - Thanks for posting. That makes sense. I guess ya stick with it or buy a phone thats not covered in dust. Either that or we need to snag some of those genius Chinese developers and make them pump up the froyo rom haha. Until then...

ludi

Reaction score
perhaps i am speaking from ignorance, but, if froyo miui is from cm6...gb miui is cm7. From what i gather via cm forums, cm7 on the droid is not out of RC, therefore, i suspect we shall not see a miui gb free of bugs until the cm7 is securely ported to droid.

/shrug

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
perhaps i am speaking from ignorance, but, if froyo miui is from cm6...gb miui is cm7. From what i gather via cm forums, cm7 on the droid is not out of RC, therefore, i suspect we shall not see a miui gb free of bugs until the cm7 is securely ported to droid.

/shrug

Yea but I dont believe that is going to happen. I really dont see the Droid 1 being able to perfectly handle gingerbread. I am running ChevyNo1's rom now because it allows you to 'lock' a bunch of apps in memory, so that helps my music killing situation... Was just navigating and listening to music on the way to work and it didnt stop! Miraculous!

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
AN UPDATE:

So I have been testing the new SS 5.2 and I have to say it seems to make gingerbread workable for my D1 actually. I dont know if it is the way the ROM is built or what but it's working flawlessly. The ROM has an option to lock a bunch of apps into memory, so I locked in 2 of my music apps, launcher pro, mms, and my firewall app because they are most important to me. I have navigated to work and back twice with music playing with NO issues. Now I can even check facebook with music playing without it being killed. Maybe this is just a lucky run for me, but no other ginger-rom gave me this good a time (UD, CM, MIUI). Maybe if MIUI were to have a built in "KEEP IN MEMORY" hack it would work just as well...

Anyway, just a thought, pass it on...

ludi

Reaction score
it does.

from homescreen, menu, launcher settings, keep in memory.

OP
icculusX

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
it does.

from homescreen, menu, launcher settings, keep in memory.

No, no... if you read my post I am saying the SS 5.2 ROM has an option to keep multipleapps in memory, not just the launcher. (up to 6 i think) Thats been in ROMs for a while now. My issue with gingerbread has never been the launcher, its android killing my music app while its playing int he background.