XBOX Live Through Tethering PDANET OSX?

Arsenalc08

Reaction score
Hope this hasn't been asked before... but I wanted to know if anyone had an idea on how to connect to Xbox Live using a macbook and pdanet for tethering?

I've gotten it to see the ip but I'm having trouble with the DNS.

Thanks in advance

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
You're asking to get caught by Verzion if you do that. Too much data will cause a red flag. The more folks that do things like this, the more likely Verizon is to start capping our regular data plans.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If it does work, I'd be surprised if it's actually playable....

OP
A

Arsenalc08

Reaction score
Plenty of people have got it to work, and many of them report they have pretty good ping and frame rates

Plus 3g in my area is great.

So... anyone?

pockets

Reaction score
Have you briged your connection and allowed other devices to connect through to the internet?

OP
A

Arsenalc08

Reaction score
I think this will work, not sure but here is a tip for all of you.

This hint will allow your Xbox to obtain its IP, DNS info, and so on from the Mac using DHCP. You need to have administrator privileges on the Mac in question, and the procedure is different on 10.4 vs. 10.5. (Presumably older systems were similar to 10.4, but I haven't tested on anything older than 10.4.10.).

10.4:

I haven't had much time to interact with the 10.4 machine I have access to, so I haven't tested this as much. Some variation on this procedure may be necessary to get the change to stick -- in particular, you may need to perform it more than once, or start and/or stop Internet Sharing before performing it. Also, the restart at the end may be unnecessary (though you do need to start and stop Internet Sharing somehow). Please post your experience in the comments, if someone hasn't already.
Start Internet Sharing if it's not already running.
Open NetInfo Manager, located in /Applications » Utilities. Authenticate as an administrator using the lock icon in the lower-left.
Navigate to the /config/dhcp node (so that dhcp is selected in the browser pane).
In the lower pane, find the reply_threshold_seconds property and change its value from 4 to 0.
Quit NetInfo Manager and then restart your Mac.
After the restart, open NetInfo Manager again and confirm that reply_threshold_seconds is still 0.
10.5:

The following procedure is confirmed to work as written.
Start Internet Sharing if it's not already running.
In Terminal, type cp /etc/bootpd.plist /tmp/bootpd.plist
Stop Internet Sharing.
Open /tmp/bootpd.plist for editing using TextEdit or whatever.
Locate this section of the file, near the end:
<key>reply_threshold_seconds</key>
<integer>4</integer>
Change the value 4 to 0.
In Terminal, type sudo cp /tmp/bootpd.plist /etc
Start Internet Sharing.
If you want to, check that your change to /etc/bootpd.plist hasn't been reverted.

beneharris

Reaction score
You're asking to get caught by Verzion if you do that. Too much data will cause a red flag. The more folks that do things like this, the more likely Verizon is to start capping our regular data plans.
actually it uses hardly any data at all. watching videos on youtube through your phone uses more.

at least this is what i've found with COD.

you have to bridge the connection, but i don't think you can with pdanet because it is set up as a modem. if you use wireless tethering, you can bridge the connection with an ethernet cable to your xbox (or in my case ps3)

OP
A

Arsenalc08

Reaction score
I am bridging the connection, but it wont connect after setting up the ip and dns info. I must've had something wrong and I think my last post is going to help a lot

choklitcow

Reaction score