xt912 Unlock Question

Fenix

Reaction score
I have the xt912 that I bought from Verizon while living in the US. I moved to South Korea, which primarily uses CDMA networks - which is the main reason why I chose to go with Verizon while living in the States. I've tried to go through countless 3rd party paid unlocking services that require IMEI numbers - all have said that they can't unlock the xt912. I contacted Verizon and they said, simply, that it was impossible to unlock my phone.

My question is, it really impossible? Even though most S. Korea carriers use the same CDMA network as Verizon, is it really just impossible to unlock this phone? Has anybody actually succeeded in doing so and ,if yes, please let me know how or what service you used.

(Just so I don't get flamed for this, I specifically asked the Verizon rep which phones were capable of global usage and accepting other SIMs when I was in store and made my purchase. They lied to me.)

robssm

Reaction score
No, its true.. As a matter of fact, just for kicks, try to factory reset a 912 lol.. Its not going to happen on many of them.

It really depends, but, yes, there are some of the 912 that will not factory reset, will not unlock, will not root, period.

Allegedly Motorola is able to lock down individual phones like this OTA. There is some shady stuff going on between Motorola and the NSA and unfortunately we are the unwilling dev testers. This is part of the new laws they are about to roll out that require all cellphones not be capable of a "user reset" for investigative purposes. They also just rolled out a universal phone dump program that allows police with laptops to download all contents of your phone as part of routine police contact ie traffic stops, dui checkpoints, etc.

On May 6, my phone started acting wierd like it was getting an OTA update, but, I didn't get the chance to approve or disapprove it!?! Next thing I know, everytime I turn off the phone it reverts back to the apps, texts, updates, etc that occured on 6 may and the phone won't factory reset. Its insane. I work nights and was listening to onlline radio and thats the only reason I noticed it. Others probably just had wierd things happen and blamed it on an app.

I am returning the phone, Verizon is lost as to the issue, other than that, the phone is mostly functional. I tried every trick to root it, to get it back to factory restore, used motofail, droid razr utilities, tried to overwrite the rom etc.. I simply cannot access the OS files, they are locked as read only..

I can't wipe my text messages, banking info, nothing.. This is some scary ****.. I really don't know how to handle giving the phone back, because, if this thing gets into the wrong hands I am destroyed. I am having to change all my banking info..

Seriously, this is yearning for a lawsuit. Without actually damaging the hardware I cannot maintain security of my identity!

I am stumped as to what to do.. I am debating about just keeping both phones, unfortunately, since I cannot wipe this phone, I cannot let Verizon have it back so I am screwed and probably going to have to pay retail for the phone they send me.

As Rage Against the Machine said "Welcome to the new world order"...

I guess I could throw it in a microwave on HI and roast it to wipe it, let the radiation blow away all the gates in the chips.

Also too, be aware that with this new little gift we have now, if someone gets your phone, YOU ARE SCREWED. Your theft software is NOT going to be able to wipe your phone remotely since it relies on the factory reset routine which is exploited and disabled with this code change.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
robssm said:
No, its true.. As a matter of fact, just for kicks, try to factory reset a 912 lol.. Its not going to happen on many of them.

It really depends, but, yes, there are some of the 912 that will not factory reset, will not unlock, will not root, period.

Allegedly Motorola is able to lock down individual phones like this OTA. There is some shady stuff going on between Motorola and the NSA and unfortunately we are the unwilling dev testers. This is part of the new laws they are about to roll out that require all cellphones not be capable of a "user reset" for investigative purposes. They also just rolled out a universal phone dump program that allows police with laptops to download all contents of your phone as part of routine police contact ie traffic stops, dui checkpoints, etc.

On May 6, my phone started acting wierd like it was getting an OTA update, but, I didn't get the chance to approve or disapprove it!?! Next thing I know, everytime I turn off the phone it reverts back to the apps, texts, updates, etc that occured on 6 may and the phone won't factory reset. Its insane. I work nights and was listening to onlline radio and thats the only reason I noticed it. Others probably just had wierd things happen and blamed it on an app.

I am returning the phone, Verizon is lost as to the issue, other than that, the phone is mostly functional. I tried every trick to root it, to get it back to factory restore, used motofail, droid razr utilities, tried to overwrite the rom etc.. I simply cannot access the OS files, they are locked as read only..

I can't wipe my text messages, banking info, nothing.. This is some scary ****.. I really don't know how to handle giving the phone back, because, if this thing gets into the wrong hands I am destroyed. I am having to change all my banking info..

Seriously, this is yearning for a lawsuit. Without actually damaging the hardware I cannot maintain security of my identity!

I am stumped as to what to do.. I am debating about just keeping both phones, unfortunately, since I cannot wipe this phone, I cannot let Verizon have it back so I am screwed and probably going to have to pay retail for the phone they send me.

As Rage Against the Machine said "Welcome to the new world order"...

I guess I could throw it in a microwave on HI and roast it to wipe it, let the radiation blow away all the gates in the chips.

Also too, be aware that with this new little gift we have now, if someone gets your phone, YOU ARE SCREWED. Your theft software is NOT going to be able to wipe your phone remotely since it relies on the factory reset routine which is exploited and disabled with this code change.

Really???? Are you just very unfamiliar with the phone???

Go into settings, privacy, and select factory data reset. If your giving it back SD card and all, select "wipe SD card" and select OK. This will wipe the entire phone completely clean. No data from you will be left on the phone.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Fenix said:
I have the xt912 that I bought from Verizon while living in the US. I moved to South Korea, which primarily uses CDMA networks - which is the main reason why I chose to go with Verizon while living in the States. I've tried to go through countless 3rd party paid unlocking services that require IMEI numbers - all have said that they can't unlock the xt912. I contacted Verizon and they said, simply, that it was impossible to unlock my phone.

My question is, it really impossible? Even though most S. Korea carriers use the same CDMA network as Verizon, is it really just impossible to unlock this phone? Has anybody actually succeeded in doing so and ,if yes, please let me know how or what service you used.

(Just so I don't get flamed for this, I specifically asked the Verizon rep which phones were capable of global usage and accepting other SIMs when I was in store and made my purchase. They lied to me.)

There is a carrier here in the states that is able to flash the razr over to its network. Cricket wireless.... and its a terrible thing to do. The phone becomes a buggy, glitchy, very unstable pile of junk.

So if you have the opportunity to find a provider that can flash it, be very aware of this fact.

But Verizon is having Motorola lock down these phones. Search it on here. Locked boot loaders.. it'll give you a few hours of reading. Hope this helps?? And good luck.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

robssm

Reaction score
Uh, really. Totally unfamiliar? I have had smart phones since they first came out, and have jacked around with them, rooting them, programming them, swapping roms for almost 6 years..

Of all things, I decided I would NOT root this phone LOL! Thats the best part of all of this. Now looking back at it I should have rooted it while I still could to allow me to wipe the phone.

I have been to Verizon store, had them factory reset to validate the issue, and they looked like they had seen the devil when it popped back up unphased, no change at all.

Hell I am debating about keeping the phone and putting on the freak show circuit.

I have friends that work at Motorola in development as my sources, and they said that this is starting to happen pretty frequently.

If you would like I can post a video of it.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Really???? Are you just very unfamiliar with the phone???

Go into settings, privacy, and select factory data reset. If your giving it back SD card and all, select "wipe SD card" and select OK. This will wipe the entire phone completely clean. No data from you will be left on the phone.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Sounds like the G-Men are on to him and out to get him... they are watching you know:icon_eek: So is the ceiling cat...

cat084.png

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
robssm said:
Uh, really. Totally unfamiliar? I have had smart phones since they first came out, and have jacked around with them, rooting them, programming them, swapping roms for almost 6 years..

Of all things, I decided I would NOT root this phone LOL! Thats the best part of all of this. Now looking back at it I should have rooted it while I still could to allow me to wipe the phone.

I have been to Verizon store, had them factory reset to validate the issue, and they looked like they had seen the devil when it popped back up unphased, no change at all.

Hell I am debating about keeping the phone and putting on the freak show circuit.

I have friends that work at Motorola in development as my sources, and they said that this is starting to happen pretty frequently.

If you would like I can post a video of it.

I didn't say you were very unfamiliar with the phone. I asked if you were by chance, very unfamiliar with the phone.

If the phone won't do a factory reset, go into the individual apps and clear data on them.

Other than that... idk.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

robssm

Reaction score
Ya well the bugaboo of all this is Cricket was the first company to give the OEM full access to their network to perform OTAs without consent. Before, the provider didn't want the OEM doing that because well, if the OEM screws up the phone, you lose a customer.

Wired magazine has huge articles on this sort of thing. Verizon paid 5 billion in fees and fines and did it willingly for their collusion with the NSA for divulging all info on phones to the NSA without warrant. Verizon should have really probably been shutdown as an enemy of the state, faced charges of treason. I would venture to say that at this point Verizon is an NSA shill and protectorate.

This is just further proof.

Ya, I tried to clear the data on the individual apps, and oh ya guess what NO GO.

Its insane. I am debating about opening the phone up, finding the rom and I2Cing them to oblivion with a direct read/write using a programming adapter and blanking the internal memory. The folks at the warranty center can send it back to Moto and Moto can low level write it back to the roms so it won't be like I am giving them back a piece of abused/broken hardware.

And, yes, I work in the electronics field.

What I find really amusing is Verizon trying to tell me I "own the phone". I was like "ok, well, if I own the phone why am I not allowed to root it?"

Silence ensued lol.. Originally Verizon wasn't even going to send me a new one, they were just like "oh well tough".

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
robssm said:
Ya well the bugaboo of all this is Cricket was the first company to give the OEM full access to their network to perform OTAs without consent. Before, the provider didn't want the OEM doing that because well, if the OEM screws up the phone, you lose a customer.

Wired magazine has huge articles on this sort of thing. Verizon paid 5 billion in fees and fines and did it willingly for their collusion with the NSA for divulging all info on phones to the NSA without warrant. Verizon should have really probably been shutdown as an enemy of the state, faced charges of treason, and execs that made the decision hung in public. I would venture to say that at this point Verizon is an NSA shill and protectorate.

This is just further proof. I guess I will have to fry the phone like a cheap microwave dinner thanks to our illustrious gubmint.

I hope it doesn't come down to that for you.

Good luck.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

robssm

Reaction score
Sounds like the G-Men are on to him and out to get him... they are watching you know:icon_eek: So is the ceiling cat...

View attachment 50003

No, not really, I was part of that organization at one point, so not likely.

This is just the way things are going to be from now on and I figured I would kindly let you know so you all aren't surprised when all your fun little things you like to do with your phones doesn't work anymore.

Me? I just want the phone to work the way it should. If I uninstall an app, it should go away. If I change my wallpaper, it should stay changed. Phone doesn't do that right now. Then Verizon says "you own the phone". Well, thats a funny definition of ownership.

robssm

Reaction score
I hope it doesn't come down to that for you.

Good luck.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

Ya I appreciate it.. Actually, another guy at work just introduced me to someone whose phone is doing the same thing.... Ah well...

Guess I am going to buy Samsung or HTC as the next phone, or, when I get the replacement I will try to immediately root it and if its a no go, send it back too..

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
robssm said:
Ya I appreciate it.. Actually, another guy at work just introduced me to someone whose phone is doing the same thing.... Ah well...

Guess I am going to buy Samsung or HTC as the next phone, or, when I get the replacement I will try to immediately root it and if its a no go, send it back too..

Try going into storage. Under internal storage. Select format internal storage. This will wipe most everything off of your device.

Now get a history eraser and erase your caches. This should remove most of the data from your device.

Hope this helps? ?

Also when you go into privacy. Make sure backup and restore aren't selected.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!

robssm

Reaction score
Yeppers, did all that...

I erase it with History cleaner, do a factory reset, and oh look like nothing ever happened, its all back, intact and perfect.

Also, Verizon tech confirmed that OTAs are now forced. He actually complained to Verizon about it. You can *postpone* it 3 times, then after that, it will install at next opportunity without user intervention which is what happened to me. Hope you aren't doing anything critical with the phone lol.

Also, he stated that there is a confirmed OTA to fix these problems on the X2 and Razr that was just rolled out so we shall see. He said it fixed his phone so as soon as that happens its root and ROM lock for me, no more OTAs.

root files needs to exploit the factory reset routine and a momentary switch on the system files from read only to read/write to allow the root routine to be able to replace certain key files to unlock the phone. Well, its looking like the factory reset no longer does that, and really doesn't reset or do anything. If the factory reset doesn't switch the file system to R/W, then the routine can't erase the cache, or anything else. This is what it looks like is happening.

Its as if on my phone, the factory reset doesn't do anything but reboot the phone and has been totally disabled and unable to switch the files to R/W. Without that capability, the phone can't be erased.

Also just FYI the latest little OTA that caused this problem is meant to disable flash support.. Just so you know.. :) And whatever they did causes browsers to crash, all of them, including Dolphin, stock, firefox, etc..

robssm

Reaction score

View attachment 50003

Ahem.. breaking news...

A federal appeals court in Washington on Friday said any communication about cybersecurity and encryption between Google Inc. and the National Security Agency can remain secret.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit upheld the dismissal of a public records suit that an advocate for online privacy rights, the Electronic Privacy Information Center, filed in Washington's federal trial court. EPIC was exploring any partnership between Google and the NSA following a cyber attack against Google in 2010.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNG2ZAoTyPsvQMkqCV0XbaSBkpoUNQ&cad=rja

So, ceiling cat has his head through a hole in the ceiling, and most other people have their heads... Well, elsewhere....

But, whatever makes you feel secure, happy, and superior to others, no matter how false..

"Take a couple of pills, and, when your done, take two more.. Everything is going to be allllll riiiiighhhht...."
THX1138

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Ahem.. breaking news...

A federal appeals court in Washington on Friday said any communication about cybersecurity and encryption between Google Inc. and the National Security Agency can remain secret.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit upheld the dismissal of a public records suit that an advocate for online privacy rights, the Electronic Privacy Information Center, filed in Washington's federal trial court. EPIC was exploring any partnership between Google and the NSA following a cyber attack against Google in 2010.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=courts say nsa and google can remain secret&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CF4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.law.com%2Fjsp%2Fcc%2FPubArticleCC.jsp%3Fid%3D1202553250160%26Any_Partnership_Between_Google_and_NSA_Can_Remain_Secret&ei=zEKvT_66BKqmiQKWptC0BA&usg=AFQjCNG2ZAoTyPsvQMkqCV0XbaSBkpoUNQ&cad=rja

So, ceiling cat has his head through a hole in the ceiling, and most other people have their heads... Well, elsewhere....

But, whatever makes you feel secure, happy, and superior to others, no matter how false..

"Take a couple of pills, and, when your done, take two more.. Everything is going to be allllll riiiiighhhht...."
THX1138

If I had to worry about Google or the government watching me it would probably mean I was doing something I shouldn't be doing or was afraid (paranoid) that I was doing something that warranted being watched. I doubt the CIA is going to come down on someone because they rooted their phone.
Just like when electronic toll collection first came out a buddy of mine who worked with me had it all figured out that if you got from point A to point B in less time than the sped limit allowed you to you would get a ticket in the mail... He also has a huge amount of security cameras around his house and several banks of monitors around the house. :blink:

"We have nothing to fear but fear it's self" I prefer to quote real people not fictional book/movie characters.