A fresh take on the Infamous Galaxy Nexus...

Reaction score
Ok, so, this is just my God honest opinion and in no way did I write this with intentions of Trolling, bashing or one siding the subject. These are simply my thoughts and conclusions and should be treated as such. Thanks in advance but feel free to give your straightforward .02

My wife decided to ditch her Razr for a Nexus so I've had time to really play with it, unlock it, root it...

Android 4.0 in its Vanilla form is definitely far more polished then any Vanilla Android OS thus far... Is it iPhone gorgeous? No, but nonetheless, it is far better then tolerable. Android 1.5-2.3 Vanilla is horrid (and I do mean horrid) where manufacturer skins are actually a plus (minus the extras) albeit heavy and resource hungry. However, 4.0 is seriously going to come down to choice, no longer preference. It really does look good...

Sense good? Meh... Some if it is, some of it isn't... Blur good? Much better...

The thing is speedy when it comes down to just using the phone rummaging through settings, menus and small apps but I can definitely tell there is still a bit of speed optimization that needs to be done...

For instance, I loaded a Christmas layered live wall paper on my wifes Razr, may it rest in peace, and in spite of the demand of the wallpaper, switching from screen to screen wasn't much different then using a standard wallpaper... On my Rezound this has not been an issue... You would think they would respond similarly given the identical hardware specs however, on the Nexus, not so much... It doesn't come to a screeching halt, but the jittery behavior is definitely noticeable... We could chop it up to previous gen gpu plus 720p resolution at 316ppi or, seeing that gpu is anything but sluggish, it is more than likely just some optimizations that need to happen...

There is also some delay present switching out of apps via the back button, as well as exiting the app drawer or exiting the settings menu. Nothing to gripe about. However using the multitasking function is much more responsive and far smoother an experience then using the Xoom...

Nobody's fault but Googles...

Let's talk screens... Most likely the touchiest subject between the 3 top devices at the moment...

Razr VS Rezound screen... I don't care how many ways you chop it up and try n hash it out, the Rezound just very simply has the better screen...

However, between the Nexus and Rezound it gets a bit stickier...

Samsung did something on this screen they have never really done in the past... Instead of the colors being a very "plasma tv" like experience, it actually ends up falling somewhere between Plasma and LCD.

Unlike every last one of the Amoleds before the Nexus, the saturation of colors and perfect darks, just from what I've seen tonight, are actually fairly accurate and the blacks not nearly as deep and rich as my wifes old Fascinate per say... I'm honestly not sure what to make of it? It's still a nice looking screen but, something is very different this time around...

The pixelation that was very present in the Razr via PenTile matrix is NOWHERE as present in the Nexus. At over 300 ppi, I would hope so! Jobs said that the term retina was used to label iPhones display because at 300 or more ppi, the average naked eye cannot make out a screens pixels. I've found this to be relatively true thus far. Here is my issue, the Nexus' screen just isn't as crisp as a 300+ pixel screen should be. Especially when HTC and Apple are your competitors. Straight lines are still visually jagged (nothing like the Razr but still jagged), the colors seem to bleed a bit more then usual and everything seems a bit washed out compared to every other Amoled I've used... Compared to an SLCD however, the Amoled still has richer colors and blacks are still deeper. I was excited and really was expecting a Rezound like crispness with huge pops of color and super blacks. Somehow, it fell short of what I was expecting. Is it a deal breaker? Hell no, just not quite what I was expecting and has me a bit confused as it kind of caught me off guard...

I really do wish they would have done away withe PenTile matrix and went with good ol original SAMOLED+...

The build quality is excellent! Well, other then the paper of a representation they call a battery door. However it fits and doesn't seem to come loose too easy at all... Compared to every plastic Samsung device I've ever owned, used or touched, this is leaps and bounds a better feel. No more high gloss slippery mishaps, broken screens by bending over with your phone in your pocket, or feather weight devices that are easily forgotten and left for harm...

This thing is heavy enough to like, light enough to wow and sturdy enough to make you question if Samsung actually made it? Good job Sammy, keep it up!!!

The buttons at the bottom of the screen aren't too hard to use but, let me tell you, coming from the standard setup, you actually have to think when your using the Nexus. However, not sure if others have noticed, depending on the task, in the far right hand corner there will pop up a dedicated settings button that looks much like a street divider. So the dedicated settings button isn't over and done with, it just pops up when you need it. A welcomed inclusion. I have to play with it some more but as of right now, I'm leaning towards actually liking the capacitive dedicated standard setup much better...

The camera is nothing to fret about, but its nothing to praise either... It's actually much like the Xooms camera in clarity, light sensitivity and colors... Nothing great, but far from horrible... I haven't tried the video recording as of yet...

Overall, the phone is pretty bad a** and Android 4.0 is packing some serious potential. I actually feel that the Razr and Rezound, as of now, are far more responsive but I'm sure that will soon change. The extra features like NFC etc are more or less just the cherry on top so I won't try to address those.

So needless to say, if it wasn't for my Rezound, I'd definitely be rockin a Nexus...

I'll get back with you guys in a few days with battery results...

I'm impressed, how bout you? Sound off...

My Rezound Rocks the Red n Black... Get over it... Now to get this thing rooted

Last edited:
Btw, would I trade it for my Rezound? No, wouldn't think twice either but it still is a very nice device and guess what? My wife is happy!!!

That means Daddy's happy too...

I'll have to go to the store later on to play with the phone and then come back with a poll submission. But even still, I believe that the Rezound still is better in many ways, but only lacks in the OS department and maybe screen size (Razr was to wide, dunno how the Nexus feels in my hand yet)

nice review. Very nice to see someone compare the true day to day capabilities of the phones instead of bash this and bash that. Ignoring rarely used (for now) options like the lack of a changeable SD on the nexus, NFC capability (which will be nice when it's more widespread, as of now its near useless), the Rezounds Beats audio, those kinds of things don't play out in the typical users everyday life. Screens, batteries, smoothness of operation (regardless of processing power) do. I have the christmas HD wallpaper on my rezound and have never seen it even stutter either, even when rocking the carousel to show it off :p. 720P playback on the rezound from it's own camera is a bit sketchy I noticed yesterday.

I want to add a bit to your camera review, I haven't touched the nexus, nor an iphone. But out of every phone I've used the rezound has the best camera on a phone I've had my hands on, and is near the quality of many of the inexpensive point and shoots available, especially with some minor tweaking in it's menus. Again may not be something the average user will use day to day, but I know iphone users consider this a big deal. The rezound is some truly stiff competition for the iphone.. it has personality (sense), A good camera, and a better than retina quality display *Shrug*. And from what I understand in the next (not ICS) rendition of android we're looking at something MUCH more advanced than SIRI :)

Do you think its worth trading if your coming from a bionic....my mom surprised me with the Bionic last week and then this came out and they said I could switch over for just 35 bucks...do you think its worth it?

Sent from my Touchpad using DroidForums

anything is worth it from the bionic.....

Lol I kind of liked my bionic buddy. But that's what I was thinking as well. The change will be happening in about an hour so I'm happy about that.

lol be very happy. instead of hunting unicorns you can get something that works good or great out of the box. My launch day bionic worked for a week, second one worked properly for about that.. a second. Even the OTA that came out didn't really fix the data issues that will present themselves later if you do hang on to it, and according to posts on their facebook page it didn't fix the freeze ups either.

anything is worth it from the bionic.....

How rude! J/K. Just remember before the Bionic was the charge, tbolt, revolution as 4g phones so Bionic isn't to bad. The back of my bionic comes off easier than the rest also because of the daily battery pulls. Haha. Only had to do 1 pull since update though. Maybe because for the last month I rarely use it. I did get a GNex yesterday and played with it until 1:00 this morning. And I agree with the OP I wouldn't trade the rezound for it . I see a bunch of bug fixes coming to the GNex. I also noticed when playing a game I would push on right upper and lower corners no response. ICS is very nice! I still hate Samsung though. Because of the lag in some places, chopiness, poor benchmarks, reminded me of my wifes charge which is going on craigslist today. I planned on buying it as a playtoy but I decided after playing with it all day I will wait for a quad core and let her have it.
My 2 cents. Out of box comparing to my rezound out of box expectations, I was disapointed with the GNex. If you are not accustomed to to the newer high end phones and not worried about bugs and issues you will love it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
The TBolt turned out to be an excellent phone after some TLC tho... Not sure what HTC was thinking with the initial release... Man, the revolution? I'm not even going to waste my time on my .02 period. Let's just say my sister has one and has literally thrown it across the room...

Thanks for the posts guys, I was really trying to go off of just using the devices as best I could... Looks like it worked...

I'd also like to mention that if it weren't for my Rezound, I'd definitely be rockin a Nexus hands down...

Last edited:
Do you think its worth trading if your coming from a bionic....my mom surprised me with the Bionic last week and then this came out and they said I could switch over for just 35 bucks...do you think its worth it?

Seriously, tho I rate the Rezound better then the Nexus at the moment, that can change quickly. Things will become blurry when the Rezound gets its ICS update tho or SOff root is achieved and CM9 is unleashed to the world...

Either way, with either of these phones, you can't go wrong... But stay away from the Razr if you're asking me...

Edit: I don't mean to turn you away from the Razr at all. I owned one for a bit myself. Just from my personal experience, the Razr has the most quirks and of the three, the worse screen and a choppy, less then brilliant visual experience...

Last edited:
I guess the moto phones arent THAT bad... but I still have a clorophormic taste in my mouth from the bionic and all of its sleeping data pills -.-

nice review. Very nice to see someone compare the true day to day capabilities of the phones instead of bash this and bash that. Ignoring rarely used (for now) options like the lack of a changeable SD on the nexus, NFC capability (which will be nice when it's more widespread, as of now its near useless), the Rezounds Beats audio, those kinds of things don't play out in the typical users everyday life. Screens, batteries, smoothness of operation (regardless of processing power) do. I have the christmas HD wallpaper on my rezound and have never seen it even stutter either, even when rocking the carousel to show it off :p. 720P playback on the rezound from it's own camera is a bit sketchy I noticed yesterday.

I want to add a bit to your camera review, I haven't touched the nexus, nor an iphone. But out of every phone I've used the rezound has the best camera on a phone I've had my hands on, and is near the quality of many of the inexpensive point and shoots available, especially with some minor tweaking in it's menus. Again may not be something the average user will use day to day, but I know iphone users consider this a big deal. The rezound is some truly stiff competition for the iphone.. it has personality (sense), A good camera, and a better than retina quality display *Shrug*. And from what I understand in the next (not ICS) rendition of android we're looking at something MUCH more advanced than SIRI :)

Picture quality? I agree, no comparison really... Rezounds on top of that subject. However, being that the Nexus picture looks much like the Xooms picture makes me wonder if its more a software issue rather then a hardware One?

Truth be told, I haven't used the 720p video on my Rezound a whole lot. What I have seen of it was viewing video that was recorded with good lighting. I haven't noticed any issues. Is that the issue for you here?

I guess the moto phones arent THAT bad... but I still have a clorophormic taste in my mouth from the bionic and all of its sleeping data pills -.-

I liked the D1, but it just couldn't keep up after while... The DX was a good phone, albeit choppy as all hell, but the 2.3 update murdered my thoughts on that... The DX2 was much the same as the DX, just a little smoother...

Probably won't be going back to Motorola anytime soon, save for the week I owned a Razr...

It won't be long for data dropouts to be an issue on the Razr as my Razr was starting to give me issues before I traded it in for the Nexus.

Thank God for Costco...

Back