Am I the only one that is discouraged about the 4.3 inch trend?

loki993

Reaction score
Ill start with saying that I like the newest tech and gadgets. I like the fact that we have dual cores phones coming out with 4g tech that should make them nearly as fast as your home Internet connection. What bothers be though if the fact that the new phones coming out aren't the size of phones anymore.

They're basically mini computers now. It seems that all the dual core LTE phones that are coming to Verizon anytime soon all have a 4.3 inch screens. Even phones that are rumored, ie not announced, all have huge screens. For me that's just too big. I like the keep my phone in my pocket and something that size doesn't fit too well.

I don't need a screen that big.

Am I the only one that thinks probably a 4 inch screen is probably just about perfect for a phone? Aparen'tly I am. Its just frustrating because want a new phone, but they don't seem to be able to come out with something that Im willing to spend my money on. You would think it would be a no brainer really.

yeah i dont really like the big screens either. they look ridiculously huge to me, but i understand why people like them. many people watch movies and stuff on their phones so i guess it helps them. I think the D1's screen is the best size, i think it's like 3.5 or something

I get your hesitation. The phones are big, but I really feel this helps with functionality. For someone like me who *maybe* makes ONE 20 minute phone call a day, but sends a ton of texts, emails, facebook posts, etc... I WANT the added "real estate".

Not sure what phone OP has now... but keep in mind, the large phones don't have physical keyboards, so you lose space due to the virtual keyboard.

I get your hesitation. The phones are big, but I really feel this helps with functionality. For someone like me who *maybe* makes ONE 20 minute phone call a day, but sends a ton of texts, emails, facebook posts, etc... I WANT the added "real estate".

Not sure what phone OP has now... but keep in mind, the large phones don't have physical keyboards, so you lose space due to the virtual keyboard.

I'm with Beka on this one.

I listen to audiobooks constantly and therefore when I make/get a call, it's via my bluetooth earbuds. So during all that the phone is in my pocket and as long it smaller than the pocket, I'm good to go!! Everything else I do with the phone is enhanced by a larger screen.

BTW Beka, that is one of the funniest sigs I've ever seen!! Thanks for the morning's first laugh!!

with a vkb, the added screen real estate is important. also nice for videos. but, i agree that 4.3" is starting to stretch the bounds. that's why i like the rumored D3 - 4" screen with a pkb.

When I first saw the DX when it came out months ago, the first thing that I thought was: This thing is just too big. I still think that a 4.3 inch screen is too big for a phone. I like the 3.7 inch screen on my Droid, but I think that 4.0 inch might be the perfect compromise, especially with 960 x 540 resolution. However, everyone is different. My wife prefers the size of her Ally, with its 3.2 inch screen. I hope that the Droid 3 does end up having a 4 inch screen.

I like to watch movies on my phone on long drives. The lager screen is nice for that. However for all other purposes I would be happy with my D1 screen size. Doesn't get in the way and doesn't look like I'm using a flattened Zack Morris special as a phone!

I like to watch movies on my phone on long drives. The lager screen is nice for that. However for all other purposes I would be happy with my D1 screen size. Doesn't get in the way and doesn't look like I'm using a flattened Zack Morris special as a phone!

haha good description

zack-morris-cell-phone.jpg

I really want a droid 1 sized screen for my next phone. I wont own something larger than 4. My pocket and head are just right for the D1. A 4'3 would look ridiculous in a phone call. I'm not a fan. Maybe if everything and the world was shoved in a 4"3 maybe i would buy it. Only then though. :p

I really want a droid 1 sized screen for my next phone. I wont own something larger than 4. My pocket and head are just right for the D1. A 4'3 would look ridiculous in a phone call. I'm not a fan. Maybe if everything and the world was shoved in a 4"3 maybe i would buy it. Only then though. :p

Yep, a 4 ft 3 would certainly look ridiculous in a phone. A TV with calling capabilities. :rofl3: Sorry, I just had to do that. :icon_evil:

Am I the only one that is discouraged about the 4.3 inch trend?
Nope. There have been plenty of identical topics posted in the past. In any case, odds are extremely unlikely that your opinion on any topic is entirely unique.

You would think it would be a no brainer really.
You think it's a "no-brainer" because it's your preference. The majority of consumers apparently prefer larger screens though.

If you very large hands like me then a 4.3 inch phone isn't that big at all. If you have the hands of a petite woman or small boy then 4.3 maybe be to big for you to handle.

If you very large hands like me then a 4.3 inch phone isn't that big at all. If you have the hands of a petite woman or small boy then 4.3 maybe be to big for you to handle.

I can hold my Nook color in my hands like a phone, but that doesn't mean that it is comfortable to hold that way. Narrower and thicker, with rounded edges, is the most comfortable for me. My wife's Ally, with the Verizon silicone case, is perfect. I find the DX a bit awkward.

For me I feel the sweet spot is a 5" screen.
I also cannot figure out why all the tablets don't have the phone capabilities in them as well.
Many Ipad owners are wondering the same with the Ipad2.
I use a bluetooth headset anyways so it;s not like I would have to hold the dam tablet up to my head.
All the media being driven through the phones a good size screen is nice.
I love the screen on my D1 but if it was a 5" is would be perfect.
Still pocket sized but great for all the text and media it can do also.

Right on Talon8Ya! 5" or even a little bigger would even be fine with me. I like the bigger screen for many reasons ranging from video, email, word processing, tv, ect......

Back