Am I the only one that is discouraged about the 4.3 inch trend?

i guess i am against the grain on this one. there was a point where i was in the same boat as you...i actually bought the D1 over the DX simply because i thought it was too large. well here i am, about 8 months later with a DX sitting in front of me. the X is thinner than the D1 which makes it very pocketable. it is also much lighter, so it doesn't fee weird holding it up or carrying it around. i actually can just barely feel it in my pocket, where the D1 felt like i was carrying around a brick.

i have a friend that has a D2 (same 3.7" screen of the D1) and it feels down right cramped doing any surfing or anything on that phone. i was drinking your cool-aid for a while, but i am drinking the X cool-aid now, and i will never go back.

as for the 5" "trend" that is coming....that may be a little too big. the DX is just about right in overall size for me...and i have large hands. i think they could trim a little off the bezel and stretch another .2" out of the screen to make it 4.5" and still have the same overall size and that would be perfect.

If you very large hands like me then a 4.3 inch phone isn't that big at all. If you have the hands of a petite woman or small boy then 4.3 maybe be to big for you to handle.

LoL! That was funny, but 4.3 is PDA status. Literally requires a man purse to carry around. 3.7 fits way better in pockets where cell phones belong. Ipod standard should b 4.3 so you can watch movies. Cellphones should max out at 4.

My. 02

Sent from my 2.3.3 GB AMOLED Incredible

Joshoid, I hope you're sitting in the passenger seat on those long drives!

Given the millions of I-Pad type devices being sold these days, it's clear many people like a screen larger than the smaller screens on smartphones. But, all those folks are probably packing some type of cell phone as well as their I-Pad. Kind of a double up in my opinion.

So, give me a 4.5" + screen (With a physical keyboard) on a fully loaded android smartphone and we get the best of all worlds. Great screen size for business applications, web surfing, etc., but still small enough to easily store in coat pockets, purses, on your belt, or where ever. All in one fairly small device.

DX is just too big imo. I personally couldnt stand anything bigger than my D2G's size. I keep mine in a pocket rather than a holster. Although, i kinda thought the same about my D2G when i got it. I came from an Alias which was actually a little too small for me to text on. Although once i got used to it i love how big my D2G is. I really dont make many calls but im always texting or on here and with a smaller screen it would seem too small.

Sent from my Fissioned D2G

Well it definitly seems like I may not be in the moniroty with this, yet they seem to refuse to make a phone what a "smaller" screen.

The only one I know of if the Dinc 2 and no one evel knows about that. It may or may not have a 4 inch screen. It also may or may not have 4g and may or may no have a dual core processor. Ive seen rumors either way on it.

Additionally, if you take a look at the footprint of your D1, my guess is, properly redesigned, a screen size well in excess of 4 inches (Diagonal) would fit.

For those who think a 4" screen is the sweet spot, the Sony Xperia Play is a 4 incher, and it's coming to vzw.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

For those who think a 4" screen is the sweet spot, the Sony Xperia Play is a 4 incher, and it's coming to vzw.

Haha, i would never buy a sony phone. Id get an update in like a year and a half... Want gingerbread then?

Haha, i would never buy a sony phone. Id get an update in like a year and a half... Want gingerbread then?

No, I'll take it when the phone is released thank you. Might help to do a bit of research before you say things that are untrue. Pay particular attention to the last paragraph of this article....

http://www.infosyncworld.com/review...xperia-play-arc-neo-set-for-launch/11858.html

I get your hesitation. The phones are big, but I really feel this helps with functionality. For someone like me who *maybe* makes ONE 20 minute phone call a day, but sends a ton of texts, emails, facebook posts, etc... I WANT the added "real estate".

Not sure what phone OP has now... but keep in mind, the large phones don't have physical keyboards, so you lose space due to the virtual keyboard.

Ditto that.....

No, I'll take it when the phone is released thank you. Might help to do a bit of research before you say things that are untrue. Pay particular attention to the last paragraph of this article....

Sony Ericsson Xperia Play, Arc and Neo Set for Launch

Wow dude, so defensive. I stand by my reasoning. Past Sony phones have had problems getting updates from Sony. I dont need to research as i am already very knowledgeable already in this area (I only spend hours each day on this site and engadget...) ....And i wont need feel good P.R. to tell me what to think. Im using the secure facts, non-disputable. Lets be neutral from now on. Minds= +- :biggrin: The whole Xperia series if i recall they just gave up and left it 2.1. Haha no Froyo for those smart phones. and yes after a quick google search they have come out with a total of 4 Android phones. All of them fairly new, oldest being in March of 2010. the newest being in Q4 of 2010. All of them have 2.1 and not Froyo (which came out in may/juneish if i remember right). IMO High end smart phones usually deserve updates... I am really not trying to argue here but come on, at a neutral standpoint its pretty much a no brain(er). Sony products are nice, but the Xperia's lack of updates really are a huge factor in buying a phone. I would be really surprised if you couldnt find an article with Sony P.R. trying to help secure minds on the updates. I for one wont buy any of Sony's phones unless they have proven themselves back. Im glad to see they have a couple takers though. Hope they get their stuff together. Their Hardware is nice, but i am not spending hundreds on a phone that wont update.

**X10 released in august not march in the U.S. Sorry, i gave the u.k. date. That makes it so froyo was out for a couple of months. That phone has never gotten an update in the U.S. :icon_eek:

Last edited:
Reasoning? There is no reasoning in what you said. You basically said the Xperia Play wont get Gingerbread for a year and a half. That is simply untrue. If you read the article, you would know it will ship with Gingerbread. So I wont have to wait at all for it. You would also know Sony realized their past mistake of not releasing updates to the OS because their previous phones had so much crap baked into the Rom, it became too difficult to give users updates. The way Sony is going to correct this is by learning from their past mistakes, and not have so much garbage baked into the Rom.
So your reasoning works perfectly for their old line of phones, but now its flawed.

Reasoning? There is no reasoning in what you said. You basically said the Xperia Play wont get Gingerbread for a year and a half. That is simply untrue. If you read the article, you would know it will ship with Gingerbread. So I wont have to wait at all for it. You would also know Sony realized their past mistake of not releasing updates to the OS because their previous phones had so much crap baked into the Rom, it became too difficult to give users updates. The way Sony is going to correct this is by learning from their past mistakes, and not have so much garbage baked into the Rom.
So your reasoning works perfectly for their old line of phones, but now its flawed.

I love your tone. And I apologize for the year and a half, that whole statement was sarcasm that was insulting their inability to do core updates. I know it's hard to read people's tone on here so i'm going to just shake my head at these remarks... Im not against you dude. If you feel like Sony has truly changed their game then by all means go for it. I'm am a Sony fan, practically thousands of dollars of my entertainment center is Sony. I guess i just dont see it though.. If a person has a rapsheet, are you going to go by his promises for the future or verify by the past? Im a trust has to earned kind of guy i guess. Sony Ericsson team has lost my trust, its going to take more than a simple P.R. comment to earn it back. If Sony does in fact update their handsets accordingly i would love to change my mind but until i see some action, i think my statement still stands. Maybe updating some of the older handsets would help.. especially since even their high quality ones are 2.1. Also, i believe sony still has a lot to bake with the phone, expecially since it plays psp games and all.
***It is a good size though. :) I like the screen. (getting back on topic. :smile:)

Last edited:
Hey, I'm sorry for my brash tone. Seemed like you were being a hater, and I appologize. You are right tho, with Sony Erricson's track recored it would be hard to trust them. But they are in it to make money, and they have come out and said they weren't making money on those older handsets. I think when they got into the Android handset market, they didn't realize how much work would be required to keep them updated. We will see if they have truely learned their lesson and they are ready to make money again.

I too was concerned about the bigger screens. then I got a Droid X. It rocks and I love the big screen. I can't tel tell the phone is in my pocket half the time and its lighter than the D1. I used my wifes D2 and was like aww the screen is TOO small lol. From now on its 4.3" for me, don't wanna go back!

Back