Amazon App Store for Android Went Live Today

that was the only reason I was going on there. I think I might have an old AMEX gift card that I will try putting on there to see if that will work. Also it looked like they are charging for apps that are free in the normal market. I thought I saw that the normal Angry Birds was like $5 or so

You might be thinking about AB for intel app up store, you can purchase (free right now I think, or it was just for the weekend) for $4.99 and install on up to 4 PC's (desk, lap, netbook)

I find it great fun to play on the laptop and see people's reactions ...

Anyone know the location of the APK? for backup, I'd like to try removing the amazon store then open the application, should still work IMO as one had to get it installed thru it to begin with.

In either case, when I'm done playing it it will likely go off the OG anyways...

I went to the Android Marketplace on my Droid and searched for Amazon App. I got two choices. Amazon MP3 and Amazon.com. I assume the Amazon.com is the one I want to download to be able to download the free Angry Birds Rio?
Thanks..

I think you have to get it from Amazon. Don't think their app store is on the market.

Sent from somewhere...

Right, go to the Amazon link in the first post of this thread and click on the "Get App" when you get there. It'll ask you to give either your cell number (for a text) or email addy. Either way you'll get a link which will set you up for the Amazon Apps, er, app. Be sure that the "Unknown sources" is checked (it'll have to be that way for any app installed from Amazon.

The Amazon.com app you mentioned is for their main site, which is cool if you shop there a lot.

RE

Okay I want to make sure but the amazon market place is completely free right no monthly fees? Also my angry birds rio crashes everytime I try to play it any info?

I went to the Android Marketplace on my Droid and searched for Amazon App. I got two choices. Amazon MP3 and Amazon.com. I assume the Amazon.com is the one I want to download to be able to download the free Angry Birds Rio?
Thanks..

I think you have to get it from Amazon. Don't think their app store is on the market.

Sent from somewhere...

Right, go to the Amazon link in the first post of this thread and click on the "Get App" when you get there. It'll ask you to give either your cell number (for a text) or email addy. Either way you'll get a link which will set you up for the Amazon Apps, er, app. Be sure that the "Unknown sources" is checked (it'll have to be that way for any app installed from Amazon.

The Amazon.com app you mentioned is for their main site, which is cool if you shop there a lot.

Got it. Thanks..

Should I go back and uncheck "Unknown Sources" when not downloading something from Amazon?

Competition is a good thing. It keeps prices down and drives up quality. 30000 apps on the Google market sounds like a lot but 3/4 of them are garbage. This is a good thing. Though I do not like the DRM aspect. If I pay an app, it should be usable whether the Amazon app store is installed or not.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Got it. Thanks..

Should I go back and uncheck "Unknown Sources" when not downloading something from Amazon?

It's up to you. Having it unchecked, you'll get a message every time you download from Amazon, or get an app from here. I had that happen when I downloaded Angry Birds Rio, but I got an option to check the box and it installed after that.

Okay I want to make sure but the amazon market place is completely free right no monthly fees? Also my angry birds rio crashes everytime I try to play it any info?

I can't help about the Angry Birds, but there is no monthly fee. You'll get charged when you buy an app and that's it.

all sales are considered final, read the t&c... 15 minutes looks a lot better now. 1st impressions are tough to overcome, I for one find the descriptions a bit lacking. If an app requires an additional service or something more for if to work as advertised those should be clearly listed, and if it doesn't work on your device you're gonna be screwed with no refunds.
No way to uninstall through the market, and all the top apps that were listed or recommended for me were all paid apps or versions. Free apps bring people in and will help to keep them coming back but they need to do more than just the 1 hilighted per day or they need to be then thrown into the mix a but more. A free Angry Bird app was a damn good calculated move for launch day, but I'm thoroughly unimpressed with their market app and UX overall. How much did they test this with any outside people, our was it just with their own people.

yeah, droid x... swype... droid forums app... next bandwagon...

I received my reply from an Amazon Customer Service rep regarding purchases from the Appstore. It seems you can only access ANY program you purchase through the Amazon Appstore so long as you don't de-register your phone or remove the Amazon Appstore from your phone. Any program that you purchase is tied to your Amazon account, so the account/link goes, so does any Amazon downloaded program. :angry:

Also, all sales are final.

Here are the pertinent paragraphs from the Terms of Use:
2.4 All Sales Final. All purchases of Apps are final. We do not accept returns of Apps. Once you have purchased an App, we encourage you to download and access it promptly to be sure you have received it. If you are unable to complete a download or access an App, please contact Amazon customer service for assistance. Once you purchase an App and we make it available to you, you bear responsibility for completing the download and for all risk of loss of the App after download, including any loss due to a mobile device malfunction.

2.5 Downloading and Availability of Apps after Purchase. Once you have paid for an App, you may download copies of the App for your personal use to compatible Android devices. Each time you download an App to a particular device, you will first be required to download and install the Appstore Software, if it is not already available on the device, and to sign in to the Appstore Software using the user name and password for the Amazon.com customer account that you used to buy the App. We will usually continue making Apps you have purchased available to you in our Amazon Appstore so that you can download additional copies under the terms of this Agreement, but that is not always the case, and we may limit or disable further downloads of an App due to licensing restrictions or for other reasons.
Makes me think at least 3x (maybe 4x) prior to purchasing anything through the Amazon Appstore. What happens if the Amazon Appstore goes wonky on my phone and I have to uninstall it? I lose everything I would have purchased (at least until I decide to re-install the Amazon Appstore app). Not cool. :icon_evil:

However, some of the apps do have a web-based sample so you can give it a try before you buy.

At the moment I'll be more likely to buy from the Android Market rather than Amazon, but if there's anything special I'll go there.

IAny program that you purchase is tied to your Amazon account, so the account/link goes, so does any Amazon downloaded program.
What happens if the Amazon Appstore goes wonky on my phone and I have to uninstall it? I lose everything I would have purchased (at least until I decide to re-install the Amazon Appstore app). Not cool. :icon_evil:

I just checked mine at the Amazon web site on the internet (not my phone). I got Doodle Jump today (it's free) and linked to my account is my two App purchases. So I'm wondering if even if the Amazon App Store was removed from my phone (not my fault) it would keep them in my account and I could put them back on my phone.

Since I purchase enough from Amazon, including Kindle books, I don't see why I would remove my account with Amazon so I doubt I would have anything to worry about.

Oh, I scrolled down and it said
If you later change your mind and decide to re-install the application, you can find it under "My apps" in Amazon Apps from where you will be able to download and install the application again.

So that's a positive. dancedroid

Got it. Thanks..

It's up to you. Having it unchecked, you'll get a message every time you download from Amazon, or get an app from here. I had that happen when I downloaded Angry Birds Rio, but I got an option to check the box and it installed after that.

I got a message that Amazon had an update, but because I had that unchecked it stopped and the message went away. I opened the app and it said there was no updates of the 2 apps I got from them. Maybe it'll come up again.

Installed the Amazon crapstore I mean appstore.

Downloaded Angry Birds RIO. Worked fine. Today I downloaded the free offering from amazon Shazam. Opened Shazam and BAM: Amazon Appstore: unknown error. Neither AB RIO or Shazam works now same error message. Tried uninstall / reinstall same thing.

Thanks Amazon for the trial and free apps that don't work now. At least I know where I don't want to buy apps... LOL

Be careful while browsing the apps. Somehow I purchased an app I had no intention on buying. I was not prompted with a confirm message or anything. Amazon gave me a refund but it's unlikely they would do so again if I accidentally purchased another app. I probably won't be using it ever again.

Greg

Back