Android Nougat Arrives For The Nvidia Shield Tablet and Tablet K1

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

tablet-k1-thumb.png
A few weeks back Nvidia rolled out Nougat for the Shield TV, and now the Shield Tablet and the Tablet K1 are joining in on the action! The Tablet K1 could still all these years later compete as one of the best tablets on the market. With the Nougat update comes the Shield 5.0 upgrade. This brings the Android version up to 7.0. You get the standard Nougat features split screen, improved battery life, grouped notifications and more. The update also adds support for the Shield TV controller, and adds a new Shield Reward Program which brings all sorts of discounts and chances to win prizes.

Full Changelog:

• New Multitasking Features
    • Split-screen: Run two apps side by side* in Portrait or Landscape modes
    • Quick switch: Double tap the Overview button to quickly switch back to the last opened app
  • SHIELD (2017) Controller support
  • SHIELD Rewards Program: Introducing SHIELD Rewards, the exclusive loyalty program for SHIELD owners
  • Improved Notifications
    • Multiple notifications from the same app are now bundled for a streamlined experience
    • Reply to messages directly from within the notification*
    • Tap and hold on a notification to quickly silence or block notifications from the app
  • Doze on the Go: Doze is now smarter & kicks in even when the device is being carried around
  • Emoji: Includes all-new Unicode 9 emojis
  • Usability Improvements
    • Display & Font size can now separately adjustable to improve readability or screenspace
    • Quick Settings can now be customized directly from the menu by tapping “Edit”
    • The top Quick Setting tiles can now be accessed with a downward swipe from the lock screen
    • Settings now includes a Navigation Menu & Suggestions to improve usability
    • The “Clear all” option in Overview have been relocated to the top right
  • System wide improvements including:
    • New Data Saver: when enabled, limits access to Cellular data for background apps
    • New JIT compiler: improves the speed of App & System updates
    • Update to Android Security Patch Level December 1, 2016

Same here. I use mine basically as an e-reader at night. I turn it on while I'm getting ready for bed, read, turn it off, repeat.

Since updating to Nougat, I notice that the ridiculous lag I would have right after booting it up is gone. I thought maybe it was because it was polling apps fort notifications like crazy after being off for so long, but I haven't changed the any apps or notification settings & it responds like it should now.

Happy with this purchase all over again. Like Talon said, I'm glad to see they're still supporting it. Kind of a shame that they don't keep up with security patches better though. I believe I'm on the December patch now after this Nougat update...

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

Doze is WAY better! It seems to actually be working like it should.

A week or so ago, I had 70 or so % battery life after reading at bed. I thought I'd leave it on because it supposedly had doze & it'd save me a step getting ready for bed the next night.

Pick it up the next night & it's down to like 17%.

After the Nougat update, I thought I'd try again. Left it on last night with around 68%. Checked it after work today & it had only lost a few % battery.

Now, that's not all day & evening, but for it to be down in the teens by tonight like previously, it should've been much lower after work.

Sent from my Pixel XL

I've been having lag issues with mine lately. I didn't install the new patch update yet, but I'm going it'll fix whatever is going on with mine.

Sent from my Pixel XL

Back