Anyone having Exchange Active Sync problems?

I'm not paying $20 for Touchdown, tried it previously and didn't like it anyway, to supplant a built-in application that should work for free.

Thats your option. I've had Touchdown on the D1, DI, X and now the TB and it's always worked. $20 is a small price to have a fully functional exchange app.

Users have been waiting over a year for the built in exchange app to work. Nothing has gotten any better with it.

Thanks again BnB. We are fully aware that is our option.

Would you be willing to switch back to EAS until you have an issue to maybe help us troubleshoot it? Maybe see if you are getting similar symptoms? Or perhaps, do you have any info on the dev side of android (ie, are they planning to even touch EAS in the latest 2.3 release)?

I'm tired of hearing about TD :p

Update: I just had "unable to connect" errors for the past 2 hours, and it just fixed itself. During that time I had 4 bars and 3G service, but I wasn't able to connect to the internet or use any apps that required the mobile network either. Calls and texts worked fine.
That was unusual though, normally I am still able to connect to the internet during EAS errors... Sounds like it was a 3G problem this time.

I've never had a single EAS issue with my D1 or DX. I did have an issue with my DX not notifying me of new emails. That was a blur issue. Exchanged it for the Fascinate. Never had an EAS issue with it either.

Stock. I was warned about possible EAS issues with android so I didn't want to mod it in any way during the trial period. My boss is running DX, he's had a few EAS issues, but nothing like what I'm having (or at least, that's what I'm told).

Hey Orgswami. I just noticed my phone stopped receiving emails again some time after 8 AM today. I opened the browser and I was able to login to my OWA without issue.

Awesome, thanks rsmiff. That part of the issue is definately all me then. I haven't the foggiest what could be causing that.

How often/for how long would you say you have connectivity issues?

It never came back. I let it go until about 1 PM as I was at work and had access to email. I had to remove and re-add the account again. It's really odd though. I've had the phone since 3/28 and this just started happening 4/7. Are you rooted?

Yeah, see I have a different issue it seems. When I get the 'unable to connect' notification, I have to wait it out. Removing the account doesn't work because then I won't be able to readd it until the issue clears up on it's own, and leaving it is easier anyway.

The problem is, it can (and has) lasted anywhere from 30 minutes to 36 hours. Not good when I need to be connected 24/7 for alert emails.

No, I'm not rooted. I haven't done anything to this phone besides install a few apps.

Edit: You're right rsmiff, it's random. It worked perfectly for 8 days straight during my 14 day trial. Then, for this last week, it happens at least once a day if not more.

Last edited:
I have had the "sync error" problem with my phone from day one. I made the Verizon store replace the phone once, the replacement has the same issue. Our IT department tells me that when the phone switches from 4G to 3G as it goes in and out of good / poor reception areas the switch over "hoses" (thier term) up the email system. Their suggestion was to switch off 4G, which I have done. (you can download a free app to do this or enter a code in the dialer to enter a secret menu). It now only occasionaly has the synch error (once every three or four days vs every day). It would usually take several hours to recover from the error and start receiving email when running on 4G. I can't afford to not receive emails in a timely manner or I will have to switch back to my BlackBerry. It is a shame that the phone with all of the hype on 4G for Verizon can't run on 4G if you use enterprise email. I discussed this with several Verizon techs with no help, and one HTC tech who admitted that they knew that this is an issue.
Dave

Thanks again BnB. We are fully aware that is our option.

Would you be willing to switch back to EAS until you have an issue to maybe help us troubleshoot it?

Can't, As a Manager I need my emails when they get sent. The one reason I won't use the built in app, It's not reliable.

Sorry if this isn't helpful, but I wanted to connect to my Exchange server and didn't want to set up ActiveSync. So I used my OG mail app.

My original Droid had a stock Mail app that connected / sync with Exchange. It isn't incredibly full featured, but it works. It's in the Thunderbolt thread if you're interested in downloading and sideloading the APK.

Not trying to throw out any flame bait. I understand the arguments about the $20 Touchdown app and having an app that should work on our phones. This is an alternative (another "bandaid")

So i used this hack to setup my gmail, hotmail an windjammercable mail in activesync so i could get push notifications for all my mail in one central app. Here is the problem, when i set the update schedule to push in offpeek time it causes my phone to continously do a data sync every 3 seconds non stop! Is there any setting that will get this working correctly?
Windjammercable mail uses google servers for their mail distribution.
If i changed my peek an offpeek times to where there was just a couple hrs between instead of 12 hrs, would that help?

By: Brain82 at androidforums
This is a bit of a hack.

From the forums I read while trying to resolve this problem I noticed it worked for some people and didn't work for others. I my experience with software, I've learnt that software is not really erratic. There's always a pattern.

After trying all sorts of combinations, I came up with a process which has worked for me 3 times. You can all try it out and let me know if it works for you.

The process involves pretending to setup a hotmail account using ActiveSync (which will fail) then changing the settings to that of a gmail account. I know it sounds bizarre but it worked for me 3 times. The steps are below.

Pretending to setup a hotmail account

1. Go to the Launcher screen
2. Tap on "Email" icon
3. Press Menu
4. Add account
5. Enter full Email address: [email protected] or [email protected]
6. Enter password
7. Tap Manual Setup
8. Choose Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
9. Domain\Username: your full email address (example: [email protected] or [email protected]). DO NOT USE "\" in front of the email address. You are not in any Exchange server domain.
10. Your password is already filled in from Step 6, ignore it
11. Server: m.hotmail.com
12. Use Secure connection (SSL) - Yes
13. Accept all SSL Certificates - Yes
14. Tap Next

You should see a checking server settings message ... mine took around 3 seconds.

Account options window

Email Checking Frequency - Automatic (Push) [<- that is the whole reason you wanted this, right?]
Amount to sync - your choice
rest of the four option - totally your choice
Tap Next

Choose account color - your choice
Tap Next

Account Name: Hotmail or WLM (or whatever you want)
Tap Next

At this point you will get the error message "Failed to create the account. Please try again later."

This is expected as a result of a bug with the HTC mail app. Now, moving on to setup the actual email account we're going through all this for.

Setting up actual Gmail Account

1. Tap "Ok" and tap the "Back" button twice.
  2. Change the email address to your gmail/googlemail address.
  3. Change the server address to m.google.com, leave to domain blank and
  4. Change the username to your full email address.
  5. Of course you need to change the password as well.
  6. Also make sure SSL is checked.
  7. Hit the "Next" button twice and then enter and "Account Name" if you wish. Finally tap "Finish Setup".
DONE! Hopefully your account should be ready to go!

Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Last edited:
I recently was able to set up my e-mail on my Thunderbolt through Exchange. However, I will read/mark read emails on the phone and they will not be marked read on my actual server. I have it set to push emails so I was wondering why it's not marking them read on the server. Also, after I read/mark read/delete the emails on my phone, the same emails will show up again on the phone as new mail a short time later. Anyone have any idea why it is doing that?

Back