Battery draining while in car mount w/charger?

I'm thinking the display on the X is a HUGE power hog.

This is precisely what I'm thinking. Between 100% brightness, GPS constantly pinging satellites, navigation rendering the 3D-ish map, and 3G downloading all the map data, its pulling more than the standard 500mA that USB provides. I have also seen it disable the charging due to it getting too hot, but that was actually reflected in the status bar icon. With Navigation running and the screen at 100%, it said it was charging, but slowly lost power.

Same here

I had the same problem on a trip from Baltimore to Philly on Saturday.I was using the Verizon Car dock and Google nav. The phone was hot and the battery icon did not show it was charging. I had to plug the charger straight into the phone on a long stretch where I didn't need the nav. Sorry to hear that others are having this problem. Glad to know I am not alone.

I owned the mount for the Droid and now the Droid X. These phones are designed to protect themselves if they get too hot. By mounting your phone on the dash or windshield and by plugging them in, you create an overheat condition where the phone will no longer charge and start discharging until it either cools down or runs out of juice. I try to only use my mount when there is no direct sunlight and when the temps aren't over 90 out. Kind of impossible in the Summer. If you keep the phone plugged in and just move it off the dash, you will notice that it will cool down and start charging again. Sometimes I put the phone in front of a vent to help it cool down quicker.

To reduce confusion, there are TWO problems being brought up here.

1) The phone overheats in the car mount and stops charging due to excessive battery heat. This is not a problem, this is designed to save the battery and phone from exploding.

2) The phone INDICATES charging but slowly dies during battery intensive apps (eg, navigation with full brightness) due to inadequate charging current supplied by third party chargers. This is the problem being discussed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

The problem sounds like an issue that's been going on with the OD (Original Droid): Hot temps make for a non-charge state. I helped keep the problem from happening by removing the battery door before putting it in the dock for long trips, and also by mounting it in a location where I can point the car vent upwards to give a little extra cooling (or you can keep the defrost turned on to help with cooling as well). I'm thinking about drilling some vent holes in the mount also.
Haven't had the issue on my OD since doing that stuff.

Deranger, i think that you are right on!

I have a Verizon and a generic cheap charger and both do the same.

I play AOR and Slacker via Bluetooth A2DP and noticed battery on orange at end of trip, after i had it on the car charger.

As Deranger and others have pointed mAh output is the culprit. At home i have a 650 mAh and a 850mAh charger and the latter always stays cool and charges faster. The 650 mAh gets lukewarm.

34040-1c728fbc-129d-4bd0-8400-0a6d118534bd.jpg

Thx Deranger for the link to above product, discretely hidden as opposed to the
others,and performs well according to reviews. Now need that extra USB-micro cable.

And now i will also shift at will in my Turbo X without bumping my 3rd right
metacarpophalangeal into the charger going into 5th gear:)

You will need a coiled USB to micro-USB cable for this, really hard to find for
some reason:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Coiled-Micro-US...ndle-2-DX-/290460766840?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

HTC-CHARGER_200.jpg

The problem sounds like an issue that's been going on with the OD (Original Droid): Hot temps make for a non-charge state. I helped keep the problem from happening by removing the battery door before putting it in the dock for long trips, and also by mounting it in a location where I can point the car vent upwards to give a little extra cooling (or you can keep the defrost turned on to help with cooling as well). I'm thinking about drilling some vent holes in the mount also.
Haven't had the issue on my OD since doing that stuff.

If you are correct i may have to remove my custom mount and use the dash vent clips that came with the MOBI,
i am going with the extra juice solution first as i like clean installs.

Back