battery help

The battery on phones isn't meant to sit at 100% and on the charger for long periods of time. To prevent this, the phone will charge to 100%, take itself off the charger down to say 95%, and then get back on the charger until 100% and repeat. However, when it hits 100% the first time, it will say "fully charged" even if it's not.

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a brand new Samsung galaxy nexus a few days ago. Absolutely love the phone, but the only thing is that I noticed the battery life is not very good. I had a Droid x2 prior so I know how smart phone die quick. This morning after having it off all night charging I unplug it go pick up my brother from school, come home check Facebook, twitter, etc. And the battery indicator is already saying 87%. Like it drains super fast . I wasn't sure if this was how the phone is or if I should buy a new battery. Or should I pull the battery out. Idk what to do. I love the phone though. Just a lil battery problem is all. Any help from you guys would be much appreciated.

Drain ur battery till ur phone dies and shuts off. Then take battery out, wait a minute put back in the fully charge phone while phone is off.

Also, download app juice defender or something similar. That app can customize ur phone to help save battery life.

I heard apps like juice defender actually cause your phone trouble because the phone has to constantly reconnect. I used to have juice defender on my x2. Maybe its better now, I'll def look into it. And draining it till it dies will help?

Also my battery usage screen now says usage 1h 15m and I'm at around 75%...

Do NOT discharge your battery until the phone shuts off! Take it down until the low battery warning is displayed (should be 10% with ICS). Then turn the phone off and charge it to 100%. Do this two nights then your phone will be good to go for about 2-3 months. Then repeat. By tripping your low battery flag and recharging to 100% you are calibrating the battery to what full and empty are. If you discharge until the phone turns off, you may get stuck in a bootloop. This will brick your phone! There is a great discussion on this by Foxcat. When I find the thread, I will edit this post to add the link.

EDIT: Here is the link that I was talking about. In the discussion, he talks about discharging to 15%. But remember that this was started prior to the ICS release. ICS does not pop a warning until 10%. You need to wait until that pops up on your screen.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/203273-battery-dead-all-you-naysayers.html

Last edited:
moving to battery forum will have a better discussion in there i am sure foxkat will show up there eventually :)

Oh I'm sorry I haven't really posted a lot I didn't know there was a battery forum. OK so run till low battery indicator then shut off and charge. I just hope nothing is wrong with my battery.

Based on what you said, your battery is fine. I recommend tinkering with various settings until you get it optimized. I was getting 30+ hours (Bionic) until I went to an ICS leak. Now I get about 10-12 hours. Still looking for the culprit.

Oh wow so it sounds like ics can be a lil battery hog. Well I changed the automatic brightness off and set the brightness all the way down because I see the screen is what kills the battery. So its normal for a new phone right when u get it to drain quickly? Earlier I was only using the phone for a little over an hour and I was down to 67%....

Oh wow so it sounds like ics can be a lil battery hog. Well I changed the automatic brightness off and set the brightness all the way down because I see the screen is what kills the battery. So its normal for a new phone right when u get it to drain quickly? Earlier I was only using the phone for a little over an hour and I was down to 67%....

Sounds normal for the Nexus. Wife and I each have one. For really long life disable 4g. I carried a spare battery in every vehicle. Also had two standalone chargers. The standalone charger will charge slower than the phone. Verizon had the batteries on sale for a long time. The 4g on this phone is hard on the battery. The S3 has a lot longer battery life.

tsmith9191 said:
I heard apps like juice defender actually cause your phone trouble because the phone has to constantly reconnect. I used to have juice defender on my x2. Maybe its better now, I'll def look into it. And draining it till it dies will help?

Also my battery usage screen now says usage 1h 15m and I'm at around 75%...

Funny u say this, cause I am just now noticing the same. JD was nice for me at first but lately its draining my battery more

the only good battery app I have ever used is carat. it is developed by uc berkely and uses meta data to tell you what apps are know to cause problems and also what is using your own battery. good app.

Back