circumventing admin rights given to exchage account

jayba420

Reaction score
So I have a droid x for my personal use and I added an account and plugged in my exchange settings/credentials to hook into corporate e-mail. It warned me that if I want to do this, I need to allow the account to have admin rights on the phone and allow for things like "erase all data"

Just the other day, I heard through the grape vine that corporate IT does not want people with androids connecting to the network and instead of sending out a considerate e-mail to everyone saying "disconnect your droids please" they are just going to wipe anyone's device that is connected.

My question is this:

Since my phone is rooted and i can access all "behind the scenes" system files.... is there a file that I can edit the policy locally on my device to take a way their ability to actually wipe my droid yet at the same time keeping it connected? If i cant, i cant and I'll just unlink from the account but I would like to keep it connected yet some how not allow them to initiate any activity (including erasing) on my device.

any thoughts?

thanks,
JaY

Are you on the stock ROM? If you switch to an AOSP based ROM (Liberty and Rubix Focused), you can use the AOSP email client that doesn't have the "device administrator" feature enabled.

Note: Some of the AOSP email clients have the feature enabled, some do not.

Sucks that they are being like that, but that is how corporate IT is sometimes.

-Mike

Awesome news that there is a workaround... I am on GummyJar... Is that AOSP?

I am unsure of the term AOSP... I will start digging through the forums to research.

Thanks very much for the advice!

-Jay

Alright, did some reading and looking around. Found an e-mail app k-9 Mail that lets me plug in all me exchange info and sync up to the corp system without a device administrator requirement.

The only thing I cant get straight is my calendar. The pure calendar widget i used to use is looking for a device "calendar" to use and I guess because the corp e-mail account is no longer in the accounts list... it cant see it. k-9 does not have a calendar.... any suggestion? am i looking for an AOSP calendar? or something?

Use google calendar sync to sync your exchange calendar to google.

Then any calendar widget/program will work.

-Mike

Your lucky thats all they are doing.... Connect to our network with a personal device and it a fire-able offense.

Oh really I didn't know it was serious like that... its not that big of a deal to just use my laptop. Im just gonna unhook from the account on my droid

Back