Clearing dialer storage?

firetresses

Reaction score
Hey guys :)

I've got a Motorola Droid (1) with froyo 2.2.1. Its lagging kinda bad-ish. I only have about 5 widgets running and I've tried parring down the applications that I have to just what I use (I've got a bad habit of browsing the market when I'm bored and downloading apps that look cool, but then I forget to actually use them lol).

So I've been going through the Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and finding what has the biggest memory usage on the phone and I've cleared the cache on some of the higher memory hogs... but Still not much is changing. I looked at the "Running" tab and it has dialer storage using 38.22mb...

I use a program called Call Tracker that uses a google calendar to track all my calls for me and logs everything on there (pretty cool actually because i always forget when i called someone or for how long :p).

I'm wondering if clearing out this data will help with lag at all?? Also I don't want to lose the data on my calendar since they sync.... so would clearing out this data clear my calendar? or is there any way around that? I'd really like to keep all my old data.

I've currently got only 53.78mb of internal phone storage available. :eek:

thanks! :)

-Sarah

Be glad yours is only ~40 Mb, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/103116-droid-memory-always-running-low.html is someone who had 115 Mb of dialer storage. Some discussion was had about what dialer storage stored in that thread. One thing it doesn't keep is calendar data (that's held by the calendar app), but I'd recommend contacting the Call Tracker dev and see if they throw anything into dialer storage (they shouldn't be able to though).

Lag shouldn't be fixed by clearing up the space. And as much as 53 Mb sounds small, considering the phone only has 256 Mb and some of that is used purely for the OS, that's actually a lot of space left. To clear it up, there are several threads about redraw issues here on the forums that have different tips/fixes to try.

Thanks for the reply. I'll contact the dev to see what they say.

Yeah I didn't think it was the entire reason and yeah you're right on it not being that huge of a thing when the phone has that much storage. Just trying little things I guess to clear things up :)

redraw? hmm ok I'll do a search for redraw and see what comes up. I've got no clue what that is, so this should be interesting :)

Thanks!

ok maybe i'm easily frustrated... but my brains spinning when i searched for redraw and a bagillion threads came up... with thousands of replies :icon_eek:

Can you maybe explain what redraw is? or point me in the right direction a little bit? :) thanks!

Be glad yours is only ~40 Mb, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/103116-droid-memory-always-running-low.html is someone who had 115 Mb of dialer storage. Some discussion was had about what dialer storage stored in that thread. One thing it doesn't keep is calendar data (that's held by the calendar app), but I'd recommend contacting the Call Tracker dev and see if they throw anything into dialer storage (they shouldn't be able to though).

Lag shouldn't be fixed by clearing up the space. And as much as 53 Mb sounds small, considering the phone only has 256 Mb and some of that is used purely for the OS, that's actually a lot of space left. To clear it up, there are several threads about redraw issues here on the forums that have different tips/fixes to try.

Redraw is basically going to your home screen and actually watching the widgets/app icons display themselves.

A couple of questions before I can point you to a thread, do you use the stock launcher or a replacement launcher (like ADW/LauncherPro/Gingerbread launcher)? You say you're having lagginess on the phone, is it like I was mentioning where your homescreen takes a bit to populate or how is it laggy?

ETA: Are you rooted on the phone at all as well?

Completely off-topic but for the apps you're interested in but not using right away, if you go to appbrain.com, you can sign in with your Google account and create lists on there of various apps. I have one of apps I find interesting, including ones I've installed but uninstalled due to space constraints.

Last edited:
Back