Contacts with similar names merging with eachother?

ctsv510

Reaction score
For the sake of simplicity, I have two contacts - Rob Smith and Bob Smith who are getting merged together into one "Rob Smith" in my contacts. I tried removing one from the contact and adding a new contact, but it just merges them together again. Any ideas how I can prevent this?

Sorry, I should have said that I tried changing the first names to Robert and Bob, Robert and Rob, etc but it still merges them together.

Well I have temporarily got around this problem by adding a word to one of their last names and that worked.

And I just realized I have two "Kyle Smith" contacts, again two different people, that are merged together. There has to be a way to separate these.

I've had the same thing happen (Father and Son got theirs merged). Easiest way to deal with it is to edit the merged contact and select "Separate" from the menu. I've not had a problem with it re-merging the contacts.

This is probably the most annoying thing about android. I had a Jamie and a Jimmy that got merged without my realizing it, until one of them texted me about a funeral for someone's father. Turns out both of those people and I each knew a seperate "bob" so I spent an hour trying to figure out which Bob's father died and who to call.

Did you guys try to put a nickname on the nickname box or putting a middle name in the middle name box?

There has to be a workaround for this, on my old crappy phones, I could have 3 katie's, no last names or anything.

I've had the same thing happen (Father and Son got theirs merged). Easiest way to deal with it is to edit the merged contact and select "Separate" from the menu. I've not had a problem with it re-merging the contacts.

Thanks, I looked everywhere for that option before and finally found it.

You can't click on a contact, then go to Menu -> Edit -> Menu -> Separate.

You have to go to the contact, press and hold the name, then choose EDIT, then go to MENU -> SEPARATE.

But, that is still not working for me. I am losing one of the contacts when I do it.

This is probably the most annoying thing about android. I had a Jamie and a Jimmy that got merged without my realizing it, until one of them texted me about a funeral for someone's father. Turns out both of those people and I each knew a seperate "bob" so I spent an hour trying to figure out which Bob's father died and who to call.

Funny, I had a James and a Jamie do the same thing but I was able to delete and re-add one and they stayed separated.

Did you guys try to put a nickname on the nickname box or putting a middle name in the middle name box?

Tried, didn't help.

Thanks, I looked everywhere for that option before and finally found it.

You can't click on a contact, then go to Menu -> Edit -> Menu -> Separate.

You have to go to the contact, press and hold the name, then choose EDIT, then go to MENU -> SEPARATE.

But, that is still not working for me. I am losing one of the contacts when I do it.

Funny, I had a James and a Jamie do the same thing but I was able to delete and re-add one and they stayed separated.

Tried, didn't help.

What about putting a picture for each contact? Add a contact then put a picture for him/her, then add another contact then add picture for him/her and so on...

What about putting a picture for each contact? Add a contact then put a picture for him/her, then add another contact then add picture for him/her and so on...

That may be worth a try, but I think I may have given up for now and settled for an extra word after the last name. In this case, I used D-bag. Now, "Bob Smith" and "Rob Smith D-bag" are two separate contacts.

If anyone figures anything else out, let us know...

Are these contacts sync'd separate or together in your gmail account? I have not experienced this (at least not that I know), so trying to think of things to troubleshoot this. Forgive me if you have already looked at this.

Back