Customizing notification tones...

ceboykin86

Reaction score
Thanks, but as I've repeated throughout this thread I want ONE UNIVERSAL tone from my own files for ALL calls, ditto for SMS, MMS, & voicemail--not contact-specific tones. If you've figured out how to set separate UNIVERSAL tones for any/all of these functions, please share the details!

I might be able to help you at least 50% of the way lol.

You can easily use RingsExtended and/or Ringdroid to use any audio file as a ringtone for all calls. With Ringdroid you can snip whatever part of the file you want. You start like you're setting a normal ringtone (settings>sound>phone ringtone>RingsExtended) from there you can choose whatever. Same goes for Notifications which are just below that. I believe you can also choose any song from your default music player/library as a ringtone. Goto whichever file you want to use and then Menu Key>use as ringtone. But if it's a song, it will probably use the whole song (haven't tried it this way).

Ok Now for SMS. But for this one, aside from using RingsExtended, I dunno if you can use custom ringtones without using a computer. Open the Messaging App>Menu Key>Settings: Down near the bottom will be notification settings>select ringtone>RingsExtended choose and have fun.

Extra help ?maybe? (don't remember if you asked about email ringtones but I'm giving it to ya anyway lol).
You can also set a custom email/gmail notification ringtone by opening whichever one you use and finding the settings and then look for notification options. Email is Account Settings, Gmail is More>Settings.

I unfortunately don't know of any way to set a separate notification ringtone for MMS or Voicemail. I assume voicemail's use the default notification tone which you can make custom using RingsExtended. It may be diffferent if you use Visual Voice Mail (I don't have that though).

Also, I have seen on the forums that you it may be possible to create new default Ringtones/Notifications by editing your SD card and doing some folder creation and adding your own files. BUT, I haven't tried this myself, so can't give you a definite way too, or say that it works...

Hope this helps CatLady, maybe someone knows of an app, or will create an app that can do the sms/mms separately, voicemails... I have no clue. Oh and SMS popup has both a notification setting for all contacts (default) and individual contacts. Just fyi.

Good luck! *Phew*:icon_eek:

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
Thanks--your suggestions were dead-on, except that they didn't work for me. After 3 calls to Tech Support, a hard reset (after which the separate text tone worked ONCE and never again) and a texting issue (can receive but not send as of today), the lovely tech support person decided it was the phone and not the user and I'm supposed to receive a replacement tomorrow. Oh, the wonders of modern technology...when it works...sometimes I think tin cans and very long string would be a fairly viable option...or maybe smoke signals!

ceboykin86

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that catlady, that does sound very odd. Hopefully your new replacement will work much better.

Sent from my Vortex using DroidForums App

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
Okay, I'm at my wit's end here...replacement phone resolved inability to send texts, but not the sms-specific ringtone issue. I open the messaging app, hit the menu button, scroll down to ringtones and set a specific one. It shows as set when I open it back up to check. I text someone; I'm alerted to their reply by the general notification tone that I set in the main settings menu! AUUUGGHHHH!!! Any suggestions, since Verizon tech support was sure it was a phone issue? Is anyone else having this problem and if so, how did you solve it??

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The ringtone and text tone will not be the same. Maybe I'm not understanding but it sounds like you want the same tone for everything but for specific contacts, iow ex, you want "work" to have same notification for all "work " but "home" to have a different for all "home"?

Support Our Troops!! written in some form from a wifi monolith.

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
Noooo...I have the phone set for one specific ringtone for ALL incoming calls. (That functions properly.) Beneath that option on the settings menu is "notifications," which I have set for a second tone. That works a bit too well, as it apparently cancels out any text tone set in the text menu: When I tap the green text icon and then click the menu button on the bottom left of the phone, another settings menu pulls up. Near the very bottom of it is a ringtone setting which would seem to be for texts only, since it's in the text menu. I set that for a 3rd tone, and it shows as set for that 3rd tone every time I check. But whether I receive a text or a voicemail, it's the second tone, from the general notifications setting, that sounds. I tried silencing the general notification tone to see if the text tone would then sound, but apparently that option is there for show only, as it will NOT sound even when the general notification tone is silenced. I've tried all the suggested apps in this thread, and they all assume the ability to have the functional text ringtone, as without fail, every single one of them gives me the same results as the factory apps. I've even set both for factory-installed tones to see if my ringtones were the problem. Same results...no separate text tone.

Sooo...what I'm attempting is 3 catch-all ringtones--incoming calls (works), text (doesn't work), everything else (works for everything INCLUDING texts)--and I have 2 catch-all tones instead. It's not a life-or-death issue, or a deal-breaker, as I still like the Vortex. But it IS frustrating when even Verizon's tech support people agree it should work and can't explain why it won't--and it seemed to work on their demo model when they tested it while on the phone with me...

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry, it's out of my league

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
Thanks; apparently it's out of everybody's league, Verizon & LG included (yeah, I posted on the LG forum, too--so far, no response)...ah, the wonders of modern technology...making the smartest among us feel like utter doofuses!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure how your phone works BUT on my Inc I have 2001 song ringtone for calls via stock ringtone menu, photon torpedo for text via Ringo app (free on the market) and everything else uses star trek computer error from the stock notification menu. This does not include the calendar reminder as it has it's own noise built in.
Maybe that will help

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
THAT'S what I'm trying to do! I currently have common ground dove for calls (change this frequently, as I like to hear different bird calls), the Tardis for everything else, and am TRYING to find a way to have the Star Trek communicator for texts. The text menu shows ST communicator as selected but defaults to the Tardis every single blasted time! Does that help any in determining what I might be doing wrong, does the Vortex actually have that capability (which it APPEARS to have, despite my inability to get it to work) or have I been unlucky enough to get two consecutive defective phones?

OP
C

catlady

Reaction score
Okay, here's what I've finally discovered: in order for the text ringtone (ST communicator in my case) to work, the notifications tone (Tardis in my case) under general settings has to be silenced...but then I get no audible notification that I have a voicemail, and this is a necessity, as sometimes my phone doesn't ring but goes straight to voicemail (spotty reception in one end of my house) and I need to know immediately if I've gotten a voicemail. I'm a licensed wildlife rehabilitator and prompt response to callers can mean life or death for the wildlife they're calling about. So I guess I'm stuck with the single ringtone for voicemail and text messages...I don't get it--why isn't there a separate settings menu for voicemail on the Vortex? Or if there is, where is it??

ceboykin86

Reaction score
Huh, glad that you got it to work in your way somewhat. I don't believe there us an option to change the voicemail notification. I would assume that it may be possible with Visual Voicemail, because that sounds like an app.

I never tried to see if a separate notification for the stock messaging application worked, but I can tell you that SMS Popup with a separate notification will.

Sent from my Vortex using DroidForums App

netboy27

Reaction score
HELP! -

I was reading through this 'cause i have somewhat of a similar problem. I have Tone Picker downloaded to be able to use music for my clock alarms. Every time i went to set up an alarm, i got a box that allowed me to either pick from the android system or tone picker. I messed up and selected "always use android system". Now I can't select songs to use as my clock alarms! Anyone have an idea. I tried redownloading Tone Picker, I don't think it has anything to do with the Tone app....

ceboykin86

Reaction score
Ok so now I'm having the same issue as catlady, posted on the LG forum as well, but I noticed something as I was doing, thought I would share in case it will help anyone.

From LG Forum Post
Hiya,
My Vortex was working fine until a couple days ago. Until maybe 2 days ago I had separate ringtones set for the Phone Ringtone, Text Ringtone, Gmail Ringtone. But now no matter what I do it will default to the General Notification Ringtone.

I'm not sure what I may have done to make it cause this. I was using RingsExtended, Ringdroid, and Ringlert for their different uses. The only things that I can think of that may have changed anything within the past 2 days are: I tried Handcent for a while, didn't like it so I uninstalled it. I did at one point unmount and remount the sd card. But I typically use the USB cord for data transfer.
Also just be clear, this was happening before the software update that I received today, and that hasn't made a change either.

Forgot to mention I use SMS Popup for my text notifications. But it works as an extension of the messaging app.

Ok so I figured something out while typing this up. IF I set the General Notification Tone to something that comes with the phone (Heaven, Voila, Tada something)... then whatever my other ringtones are set to, will play like normal. I have no clue what this possibly means, but I can definitely tell you that if I set my General notification to a ringtone I've made with Ringdroid it will override my options for Gmail and SMSPopup. Also as long as the General Notification tone is set to something "stock" no matter what the others are set to they will work... I'm guessing this has to have something to do with a Software thing or possibly with an SD card thing.
I hope this will help out in the quest to figure out what is causing this. Sucks that I'm having this problem now too.

xixgrimmxix

Reaction score
Use ringo... never failed for me even unmounting and remounting. I use the pro version. But the free one does good too.

lg ally <rooted velocity 0.4>
samsung fascinate <rooted>