Daydream 6P

So I tried Daydream on my cheapo VR headset last night.

Tip 1)Do not buy a cheapo VR headset if you're planning on using Daydream.

First off the controller it came with absolutely did not work no matter what I tried. It was really frustrating. Then I was able to use an old phone as a controller emulator, but my old phone's digitizer is all out of wack. So this made things tougher.

Finally I was using VR and I have to say that it was pretty cool. I had fun looking at some photosphere photos I took and Google Streetview was great.

Unfortunately when I was done with my phone and took it out of the headset it had gotten so hot. I wonder if I would have messed something up if I kept it in longer.

Now I really want a Daydream headset, but I really don't want to spend $70 and break my phone from the heat generated.

1) What kind of phone do you have?
2) Though Google do not recommend using the 6P with daydream VR headset it will be fine as long as you are not on it more than 45- a hour (which at that point you are going to want to take it off anyway). Developers have been using the 6P to build some of the Daydream experience from what I read.
3) All phones get hot with VR even the Pixel/Pixel XL. I was doing some research as I was about to buy a Pixel for the VR experience and I ran into a thread over at reddit that people with Pixel/Pixel XL phones complained about the heat and Google looking to update the phones later to hopefully help with that (Pixel XL Overheating. Risk of permanent damage? • /r/daydream). And for the galaxy phones people came up with a cooler to try and help with that. https://www.amazon.com/VIVISKY-Port...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=211VQ1A3SSCK480EG37G
Anyone have a solution to the s7 overheating? • /r/GearVR
How to deal with Gear VR overheating

VR is still in its infancy especially for phones. I would compare VR headsets for phones similar to the OG Droid in that it is good enough to market but have ways to go with the tech. They still have to deal with app and software development as well as come up with hardware that can push the boundaries while staying cool, not killing the battery before the movie is over, and can be used by users without them getting motion sickness.

So would I recommend buying a Daydream VR headset?

Yes if you have the money and you realize that it is still a work in progress. There is clearly enough content to warrant the experience. Is $79 a little steep, eh I mean considering where we are at with VR I can see where some would have a problem with that price tag for just a headset and a remote, especially when you have $20-$30 options out there.

But personally I wanted the full experience and was alright shelling out the money. The current Daydream VR headset I would consider the nexus of the Google VR headsets as it is also a reference device as google is looking to get other vendors involved in making headsets.

I would not be surprised to see better daydream headset by other vendors for show as early as CES.

Ah sorry I should have specified, I have a Nexus 6P.

Seeing what it was like and having it work halfassed with my set up made me really want the legit headset.

Glad to hear that even the Pixels heat up. Maybe now there will be fixes for all the phones. You've restored my faith.

Blaahhhh here's the sucky part. You so know that if you buy one now you'll be overpaying. I bet you after Christmas is over you'll start seeing them in the wild much cheaper.

Ah sorry I should have specified, I have a Nexus 6P.

Seeing what it was like and having it work halfassed with my set up made me really want the legit headset.

Glad to hear that even the Pixels heat up. Maybe now there will be fixes for all the phones. You've restored my faith.

Blaahhhh here's the sucky part. You so know that if you buy one now you'll be overpaying. I bet you after Christmas is over you'll start seeing them in the wild much cheaper.

That is part of my concerns with buying a pixel. I know Google is going to do better next year as they have had more time preparing for the next phone and improving the software and coding, especially for VR. Having the 6P work, unofficially, with daydream makes it easier to hold off until next year on purchasing a phone.

I want to see how Daydream View works with Moto Z Force

Back